Menu

I am so mad at Mr. Rochester right now I could spit

Momto6inIN

I am currently reading Jane Eyre for the first time and I just found out that he is already married to the madwoman who is kept imprisoned in the top floor of his house and I am so mad at him right now for leading Jane on that I can hardly see straight. And I don't even like Jane all that much.

That is all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 32

"Jane Eyre and boys"  -- I think you might like this past thread with a discussion on the book. 😉 I really encourage you to read all the way through the thread -- some fantastic depth from the poster cajun.classical in there -- and the original poster, @Janice in NJ, has a lot of the same frustrations you're feeling, but moves a bit away from her original position of frustration as she reads through the book and starts thinking about ideas presented by other posters in that thread. It's a great "book club" discussion thread. Love it! 😄 

And then, if you really want to get into it (LOL!), check out the thread on the other Bronte novelist's even more controversial novel: "What's up with Wuthering Heights?"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, EKS said:

You might want to issue a spoiler alert...

I guess I assumed I was probably the only person on a classical ed board that hadn't read it yet 🤣

19 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

LOL, I actually like Jane Eyre...but that's the only Brontë (from any sister) novel I can stomach. 

@Momto6inIN - just wait until you meet St. John. I hate him the most. 

Now I'm worried ... and also intrigued ...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, EKS said:

You might want to issue a spoiler alert...

55 minutes ago, sassenach said:

On a 173 year old book? That tickles me a little.

53 minutes ago, EKS said:

Actually, yes.  

Wouldn’t a person who didn’t want it spoiled stop reading after “I’m reading Jane Eyre and . . . ?” Once a book gets that old, not having it spoiled is definitely on you. That’s like getting mad if someone told you that Romeo and Juliet

SPOILER ALERT

die.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

11 minutes ago, scholastica said:

When you are done, I suggest The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. It is the story of Bertha, Rochester's first wife. It turns the whole thing on it's head.

Aw man. I hated that book. Absolutely hated it. Maybe if I didn't like JE, I could've tolerated it more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Wouldn’t a person who didn’t want it spoiled stop reading after “I’m reading Jane Eyre and . . . ?” Once a book gets that old, not having it spoiled is definitely on you. That’s like getting mad if someone told you that Romeo and Juliet

SPOILER ALERT

die.

Strongly disagree.  (Also, to be clear, I've read Jane Eyre four times.)

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

LOL, I actually like Jane Eyre...but that's the only Brontë (from any sister) novel I can stomach. 

@Momto6inIN - just wait until you meet St. John. I hate him the most. 

OH man....he annoyed me SO much. Clueless! 

46 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

LOL, he just irks me terribly. (And don't forget to call him SIN-jun in your head while you're reading. It was YEARS after reading before I saw a film version and realized my error...)

Ok, thought I was the only one who didn't know!

22 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I read WH for the first time this year. I wasn't missing much. (I actually like Mr. Rochester. I didn't like ANYONE in WH...)

WH is terrible no good bad awful! The most unhealthy relationships EVER!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

...WH is terrible no good bad awful! The most unhealthy relationships EVER!

I think Bronte was trying to make that very point. 😉 She wasn't writing a 19th century Twilight, lol. 😉 (Check out the threads I linked above on Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

LOL, he just irks me terribly. (And don't forget to call him SIN-jun in your head while you're reading. It was YEARS after reading before I saw a film version and realized my error...)

Wait ... what??? How on earth do you get Sin jun from Saint John???

29 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Have you picked up Wuthering Heights yet?

<snicker.snicker>

Long long ago and I remember thinking, "This is romance???" My grandma's Harlequins were better 😉

24 minutes ago, scholastica said:

When you are done, I suggest The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. It is the story of Bertha, Rochester's first wife. It turns the whole thing on it's head.

Oooh, that sounds good!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, scholastica said:

My daughter used this book, paired with Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights paired with La Migration des Cœurs in her senior capstone project for college. It was kinda brilliant, if I say so myself!  

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I literally just figured this out this week. I watch a lot of BBC stuff, and I've been hearing the name 'Sinjun' for a while, but had no idea how it was spelled, and wondered where this odd name came from. Just came up again this week in Grantchester, where the main character's mom is dating a guy he can't stand - named 'Sinjun' - and he mutters  'what kind of a name is Sinjun?'. 

Apparently it's St. John. I think it was on another thread here this week that someone pointed this out, and I was like, whaaaaat???  There was also a helpful link as to why the Brits do this  - something about trying to make it sound like the French pronunciation of Sant Jean,  but getting it wrong and still spelling it English? 🙄 Silly Brits.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, square_25 said:

It's a weird British thing, lol. Of course, your state has some of the weird pronunciations, too... how's Worcester Wooster, again?? 

It just is, okay?

😂🙄

And Gloucester is Glosster, and Leicester is Lester.  

I blame the Brits again!  They pronounce them the same way... 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hahaha, see, it just is. And St. John is Sinjun 😛

By the way, I've finally memorized Worcester but still forget about Leicester... 

There's definitely a pattern there...

We do have some other weird town pronunciations that I'm not sure we can blame on the Brits... they never even struck me as weird till I saw a YouTube video of Americans not from MA trying to pronounce them... like, Billerica is Bill-RICKA, and Haverhill is HAVE-rill (and the A in the first syllable is long, rhymes with 'cave').  I'm like, huh, I guess those aren't obvious? ... and the ones ending in -ham are inconsistent - Framingham is Framing-ham, but Stoneham and Needham are Stone-um and Need-um...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I am probably close to that category, although I've reread Jane Eyre more times -- it's easier reading. But I think Wuthering Heights is a better book. 

At least someone sort of understands, lol. 🤣 I would pretty much consider it torture to read Jane Eyre more than once. Although this thread is making me consider a reread. It has probably been about 10 years since I read it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, square_25 said:

The first one. But it's not intuitive if you've lived in Texas, lol. 

Well, no - not even if you haven't lived in Texas - HYOO-stun is definitely the 'normal' way.  I guess I live close enough to NYC to have been schooled on the non-standard pronunciation.  Or at least have been told that there was one... lol.

2 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I literally just figured this out this week. I watch a lot of BBC stuff, and I've been hearing the name 'Sinjun' for a while, but had no idea how it was spelled, and wondered where this odd name came from.

Am I the only one who watched the show Airwolf in the 80's? This is the only thing I remember from that show. It didn't make sense in the 80's either. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Am I the only one who watched the show Airwolf in the 80's? This is the only thing I remember from that show. It didn't make sense in the 80's either. 😆

😂 Nope, never watched Airwolf... but the thing is I've heard the name pronounced that way in Brit shows a million times, and separately read about people named 'St. John' in books, I just never put the two together! 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quill said:

My daughter used this book, paired with Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights paired with La Migration des Cœurs in her senior capstone project for college. It was kinda brilliant, if I say so myself!  

Wow! That is totally brilliant! The apple obviously doesn't fall far from the tree!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

There's definitely a pattern there...

We do have some other weird town pronunciations that I'm not sure we can blame on the Brits... they never even struck me as weird till I saw a YouTube video of Americans not from MA trying to pronounce them... like, Billerica is Bill-RICKA, and Haverhill is HAVE-rill (and the A in the first syllable is long, rhymes with 'cave').  I'm like, huh, I guess those aren't obvious? ... and the ones ending in -ham are inconsistent - Framingham is Framing-ham, but Stoneham and Needham are Stone-um and Need-um...

Well, duh.

(I’m from West Wareham originally.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, square_25 said:

It's a weird British thing, lol. Of course, your state has some of the weird pronunciations, too... how's Worcester Wooster, again?? 

Isn't it "wuh-stah"? I'm RI born and you gotta drop that final r. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

This captures exactly how I feel 🤣

That’s how I felt when Bellatrix threw the dagger at Dobby. I swear it took me a month to get over it! A fictional character in a fictional fantasy story killed a fictional, but extremely endearing, creature...and I was sad *I* couldn’t duel with her in the Battle of Hogwarts! 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Isn't it "wuh-stah"? I'm RI born and you gotta drop that final r. 🤣

With a true Boston accent, yes. But even some of us natives are rhotic... though I guess the non-rhotic version is closer to the original British version... Key is the first R is never pronounced,  even by those who otherwise pronounce their R's. 😉

43 minutes ago, Quill said:

That’s how I felt when Bellatrix threw the dagger at Dobby. I swear it took me a month to get over it! A fictional character in a fictional fantasy story killed a fictional, but extremely endearing, creature...and I was sad *I* couldn’t duel with her in the Battle of Hogwarts! 

I sob like a baby every time I read this part to my kids 😭

I also get mad at Ron when he hooks up with Lavender.

And I get choked up when I read about Molly trying to get rid of the boggart and seeing all her family as corpses and at the end when she duels Bellatrix to protect Ginny ❤ I identify with Molly Weasley in a not entirely rational or normal way lol

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Saying S-n-t instead of the full word, saint, always throws me on BBC shows. I have a hard time doing it even in my head because it just doesn’t flow for me. It doesn’t even save time! It makes me wonder what OTHER abbreviations are sounded out that I’m missing, like ‘dur’ for Dr. Or something. 

It reminds me of when my son was little and thought his pill dispenser said “smitwitfus.”  We still call it that to this day and he’s almost 20. Smitwitfus is easier to say than Snt. 🤣  

• Like 1