Menu

Any Reviews for CAP's Rhetoric Alive?

I tried to search but didn't find anything. Just noticed it and am wondering about using it. My dd did one of the Writing and Rhetoric books in elementary and did not really like it so wondering if that in any way means she might not like this. The thing she did not like was rewriting someone else's story etc. She does pretty good writing her own stuff and tolerated the re-writing type stuff in WWS but did not enjoy rewriting fables. As you can probably tell I do not know a lot about the Rhetoric Alive book. I could only see a very small sample when I looked at it.

I thought I posted a review... but I can't find it now, either.

I'm cooking dinner, so I won't give you a long review. We did it at co-op. We liked it. This group did and liked Narrative years ago (we didn't do every exercise on every page, though). Rhetoric Alive is much more mature. Ask me specific questions and I'll answer them. It's more fun with friends- even one or two on Zoom so you can do the group activities would add a lot.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I thought I posted a review... but I can't find it now, either.

I'm cooking dinner, so I won't give you a long review. We did it at co-op. We liked it. This group did and liked Narrative years ago (we didn't do every exercise on every page, though). Rhetoric Alive is much more mature. Ask me specific questions and I'll answer them. It's more fun with friends- even one or two on Zoom so you can do the group activities would add a lot.

I don't think we will have the possibility of a group, even by zoom, so that was something I was wondering about. Is it possible to do as just one student at home? Also, this is probably a stupid question, but are many of the writing assignments re-writing other people's pieces? Also, is it necessary to have both the student and teacher guide and are there any other components to the course that are good to buy? Thank you so much for offering to answer questions!

1 hour ago, TCB said:

I don't think we will have the possibility of a group, even by zoom, so that was something I was wondering about. Is it possible to do as just one student at home? Also, this is probably a stupid question, but are many of the writing assignments re-writing other people's pieces? Also, is it necessary to have both the student and teacher guide and are there any other components to the course that are good to buy? Thank you so much for offering to answer questions!

Rhetoric is largely about speaking and persuasion. Not a lot of rewriting, but some analyzing a famous/ well written speech and using the structure to write a different speech.

I used the TE a lot, but I was teaching a class. This is a link to a pdf of the assignments: https://dev.classicalacademicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RA1_suggested-schedule.pdf

Whenever it says "discuss" there are discussion questions that your dd could answer on paper. Usually group assignments have a single-student adaption.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Rhetoric is largely about speaking and persuasion. Not a lot of rewriting, but some analyzing a famous/ well written speech and using the structure to write a different speech.

I used the TE a lot, but I was teaching a class. This is a link to a pdf of the assignments: https://dev.classicalacademicpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RA1_suggested-schedule.pdf

Whenever it says "discuss" there are discussion questions that your dd could answer on paper. Usually group assignments have a single-student adaption.

Thank you so much! It sounds like something that might work for us. Thanks for answering questions. It sounds like your class had a good time with it!

23 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

This is on my list for next year,  so following and hoping for more reviews!  For the OP, you might want to look at the last books in the W&R series if you think RA may be too much.  I've also got Arguement Builder on my list of options.  

I think that it sounds like there is not the same fable rewriting exercises in Rhetoric Alive, but rather using the pattern to write something of your own. It was specifically the amount of rewriting stories/fables that drove her crazy so this might be a better fit.

• Like 1