Menu

Tell me about your high school math experience

Would you share your high school math sequence and the publishers you chose? My son will work through all of Singapore Dimensions by the end of 8th. At that point, we will need to choose a new publisher. He will be ready for either geometry or algebra 2. What did you use for Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus?

We did Singapore through 6th grade, but Dimensions wasn't available yet. We also did some EMF courses.

Holt Geometry (Berger)

Derek Owens for Algebra 2 (we did Algebra 2 twice, first time with Prentice Hall -Smith) & PreCalc (uses Sullivan)

Blue Tent (uses Larson for AP) for Calc BC

• Like 1

My 3 oldest have all done Video text for Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry.

Oldest D'S did AoPS for Precalc and Calc BC (self teaching with just the books, not the online classes). I wish I had found AoPS for him sooner, as he is a true math lover, but it would have not been a good fit for any of the others so far.

2nd D'S and DD have done/will do Chalkdust precalc. I don't anticipate them getting to Calc. They started Video text in 8th grade just like oldest DS, but they each took a lot longer to go through it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kbutton said:

My son used some of DM followed by Foerster's for Algebra II (it includes some Trig). He's planning to do AOPS Geometry this year.

I'm leaning towards Foerster's.  Can you tell me a little about the instruction?  Did you feel there was enough for you to assist with teaching and help when your son had any issues?  Were the solutions fully worked out?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, dsbrack said:

I'm leaning towards Foerster's.  Can you tell me a little about the instruction?  Did you feel there was enough for you to assist with teaching and help when your son had any issues?  Were the solutions fully worked out?  Thanks!

We used the Math Without Borders videos, and my son had a tutor (he has an IEP, which makes him eligible for tutoring in my state). There are answers in the back of the text for the odds, and the videos worked most of the evens (I think separately from the video instruction). 

My nephew is using the same resources, and I think he's found them to be just what he needed. I am pretty sure he does it mostly independently with some help here and there, but he's very motivated, I think. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kbutton said:

BTW, if you are able to keep up with DM with your son as he needs help, I think you are likely to be fine with Foerster's. DM for 7th and 8th doesn't have a lot of teacher support, but it does have worked solutions.

Thanks for that encouragement!  For some reason, I'm very nervous about upper level math even though I did well while in school.  I think it is because my son loves the "why" behind it all and I never really understood that part of it.  I was a plug and chug, memorize the formulas kind of learner.  I want him to have more than that.  Singapore has been a great fit and now I have to try and find something that will work for both of us for upper level math.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dsbrack said:

Thanks for that encouragement!  For some reason, I'm very nervous about upper level math even though I did well while in school.  I think it is because my son loves the "why" behind it all and I never really understood that part of it.  I was a plug and chug, memorize the formulas kind of learner.  I want him to have more than that.  Singapore has been a great fit and now I have to try and find something that will work for both of us for upper level math.  

Honestly, this description fits me.  It really is a flying leap of faith here, based on the understanding that my competency, his motivation, and our collective desire to understand is enough.  When it isn't, I'll find what is.  DS came out of Foerster with a 90%, fair and square.  So far so good.    

Edited by Doodlebug
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

Honestly, this description fits me.  It really is a flying leap of faith here, based on the understanding that my competency, his motivation, and our collective desire to understand is enough.  When it isn't, I'll find what is.  

Same here!

we did Singapore through 6B (dimensions didn't exist till right at the end, IIRC), then switched to AoPS preAlgebra and have done that sequence (not as self-taught as many use it...I tended to talk through the lessons with them but have them work the problems and allow plenty of time for puzzling things). PreAlg, IntroAlg, Geo, AdvAlg, PreCalc.

Counting & probability were mixed in there, just for kicks.

DS then took AP Stats (PAH. got a 5). DD took AP Calc (self-study, AoPS books + stuff. got a 5).

even the pre-alg was much heavier on the 'why' than I got in school and frankly - I learned quite a bit going through it with them. I'm fairly sure I would have been of limited help beyond IntroAlg if I wasn't basically doing the daily lessons along w/ the kids. But, since I was and learned it too, it was fine.

• Like 2