Menu

Public School and taking outside classes - transcript question

So we are in the throes of decision time here with public vs homeschool.  We just moved and our plan was to send our rising ninth grade twins back to public school.  Then Covid hit and disrupted everyone's plans. We pivoted and applied to charters (the only real way to make sure credits transfer back to high school when they returned) and everything looked great until CA passed a bill that froze school funding at 2019/2020 levels, and effectively ended new enrollment at charters.  

So our options decreased dramatically and I am considering throwing in the towel and sending them to public school and having them do it virtually.

My question:  I can sign them up for a lighter PS load (they are on a 4X4 schedule at the public school) and do only three classes a semester.  Has anyone had their kids do public school and also an outside class? The high school will not recognize it (they are stuck on accreditation being the end all be all) so it would not be approved.  Would there be a place to mark it on the college transcript as it would most likely not show up on the high school one?

I am assuming it's done regularly with at least AOPS, as so many of those kids were public school kids. But I don't want to put my kid through extra work and have it not count towards college.

*Oh and I guess I should change my name back as I am no longer San Diego mom in VA, but just San Diego mom, lol. 

• Sad 1

Welcome back to California!  My younger dd is enrolled in private school, but she took some outside classes.  She took an Edhesive AP statistics class while enrolled.  We did not ask them to put it onto her high school transcript, but she was allowed to take the AP exam at the school.  (I'm guessing this sort of thing is regularly approved for students probably because many students are taking classes outside of school hours?)  So we have the score to acknowledge her work.  She also took one or two AoPS classes for fun and prep, but we have no plans right now to acknowledge those anywhere on her application.  We may decide later to include it in a short answer or essay question, but it may just end up muddying up her application.  

4 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

My question:  I can sign them up for a lighter PS load (they are on a 4X4 schedule at the public school) and do only three classes a semester.  Has anyone had their kids do public school and also an outside class? The high school will not recognize it (they are stuck on accreditation being the end all be all) so it would not be approved.  Would there be a place to mark it on the college transcript as it would most likely not show up on the high school one?

At first I thought this was a typo and you meant high school transcript, but then I wondered if you mean for your student to take a CC class?  If so, then it will be on the CC college transcript.  What classes did you have in mind?  

4 hours ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

But I don't want to put my kid through extra work and have it not count towards college.

If your student is planning to enroll in CC, and then have the classes transfer to UC or CSU, you may want to check something called Assist.org.  My kids didn't take cc classes, so I've only heard about this website second hand, but I think it articulates the cc classes with the college transfers.  

2 hours ago, daijobu said:

Are you on the FB group, CA Homeschool College Seekers?  You might get better info from them.  

I probably should. I feel much more "out there" on fb even though I know it's a closed group! But it's not exactly a controversial topic, lol. 

2 hours ago, daijobu said:

At first I thought this was a typo and you meant high school transcript, but then I wondered if you mean for your student to take a CC class?  If so, then it will be on the CC college transcript.  What classes did you have in mind?  

So I've got my kids signed up already for online classes, but will probably have to withdraw them if we cannot get in a charter.  However my son is very excited about Connie's Organic Chem class, he took her Hon Chem last year and loved it, and so I want to make it work. But I also don't want him to take a challenging, full year, post Hon/AP Chem course and not have it at least acknowledged somewhere.  

I don't see why you couldn't do a separate transcript that combines everything. That's what I did with my kids' DE credits: they all went on the main transcript that I sent, even though the university sent a transcript of their own as well. If you only had a class or two, you could send it in as "additional information" instead of a full transcript (or have the provider send it, if they do that). 

Also, if I had a high schooler who was excited about a challenging class that they did not 'need,' I would do everything in my power to make that class happen, whether or not I had to pay for it, whether or not they got credit for it. We all want our hard work acknowledged, but we also want kids who value the learning over the grade, who value the learning over the transcript. If he's not wondering about credit or acknowledgement, I wouldn't put it in his head to do so. If he is wondering, I'd just assure him that I'd make sure every college knew he took the class. 

A 9th-grader excited about their second year of challenging chemistry is a wonderful thing! And I honestly don't see how you'd have a problem getting it acknowledged. Plenty of people do a hybrid of homeschooling and b&m. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I don't see why you couldn't do a separate transcript that combines everything. That's what I did with my kids' DE credits: they all went on the main transcript that I sent, even though the university sent a transcript of their own as well. If you only had a class or two, you could send it in as "additional information" instead of a full transcript (or have the provider send it, if they do that). 

Also, if I had a high schooler who was excited about a challenging class that they did not 'need,' I would do everything in my power to make that class happen, whether or not I had to pay for it, whether or not they got credit for it. We all want our hard work acknowledged, but we also want kids who value the learning over the grade, who value the learning over the transcript. If he's not wondering about credit or acknowledgement, I wouldn't put it in his head to do so. If he is wondering, I'd just assure him that I'd make sure every college knew he took the class. 

A 9th-grader excited about their second year of challenging chemistry is a wonderful thing! And I honestly don't see how you'd have a problem getting it acknowledged. Plenty of people do a hybrid of homeschooling and b&m. 

I don't know why I had it in my head that once they hit high school it was all or nothing.    I now live back in an area of hot-housing, so I guess I am afraid of seeming like I am trying to push my kids ahead in this race to the very best college, when really I have always just wanted them to be challenged, engaged, and "sparkly-eyed" about their classes. 

Thanks for giving me permission:).  And yeah, we don't talk about transcripts or credits other than me commiserating that he has to take four year of English and yes,  at least one history.   

• Haha 1