Menu

What size trash can for dorm w/o kitchen?

DD & I disagree on what size trash can she needs for her dorm. 😅 All we agree on is that it needs a lid. 😂 It's the only thing we've disagreed on (well, *I* think she needs a rug, but she vetoed that early on...)

She wants tiny (which I get, bc her room is tiny). But I think minimum 8 gal/30 L because she'll likely have to-go food containers brought back to her dorm and will need a place for that sort of trash and she's not going to want to walk it back to the trash chute every time.

DD1 had a huge trashcan (large kitchen size) - but she always had larger dorm rooms than what DD2 will likely have.

What size did you all buy? What gallon/liter size? There is no kitchen this year, but she will prob have one next year. (but if she got the smaller trash can this year, she'd just use it in her bathroom next year... cuz this year a suitemate is getting the bathroom trash can)

What she has in mind: (slightly larger than a regular bathroom trash can, I think?) 10L / 2.6gal  Trash Can #1

What I'm leaning toward: 30L / 8gal Trash Can #2

Or maybe this one? (slightly larger 40L / 10.6gal) Trash Can #3

She and her roommate haven't discussed trash cans for the room & DD is weary of the room-discussion texts about toiler paper holders, soap dispensers, and vacuum cleaners & doesn't want to ask roomie about trash cans. 😄 I'm assuming they'll have their own close to their own desks...

Doing 100% online shopping for this has been WEIRD!!!!!! I miss going into stores and seeing things with my own eyeballs & feeling things with my own hands. But when I think, "Is it worth risking catching something to look at trash cans/duvet inserts/etc?" the answer is always NO. So. Online we go! 😕 We bought 100% of her fall clothes online. So. Many. Boxes!!!!!  

Edited by easypeasy
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, elroisees said:

Big enough to hold a pizza box, possibly folded.

She can't eat pizza, but maybe friends will bring in pizza? Very good point to bring up to her since pizza is not on her natural radar.

Edited by easypeasy
1 minute ago, easypeasy said:

She won't eat pizza (weird kid, I know...), but maybe friends will bring in pizza? Very good point to bring up to her since pizza is not on her natural radar.

I'm just thinking fast food, dorm food. 😁

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, elroisees said:

I'm just thinking fast food, dorm food. 😁

lol. This is where college is going to be a shock to her system & is probably exactly why we're not seeing eye-to-eye on the whole trash can business. She cannot imagine generating that much trash.

She's a whole-foods, no fast-food, salad-eating, make-only-what-you're-going-to-eat, grazing, environmentally-friendly-only-uses-reusable-containers kind of girl.

Her siblings are concerned that she's going to starve out in the wilderness that is university eating. 😅Especially during COVID.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, easypeasy said:

She's a whole-foods, no fast-food, salad-eating, make-only-what-you're-going-to-eat, grazing, environmentally-friendly-only-uses-reusable-containers kind of girl.

My dd is the same way.  I don't know what she's going to eat from the dining hall.  We are sending her with some food and I'm also concerned about the trash issue, but she assures me she will just bring stuff out to the dumpster.  Of course, she brushes off all of my concerns which is making me crazy...

2 hours ago, easypeasy said:

lol. This is where college is going to be a shock to her system & is probably exactly why we're not seeing eye-to-eye on the whole trash can business. She cannot imagine generating that much trash.

Her siblings are concerned that she's going to starve out in the wilderness that is university eating. 😅Especially during COVID.

My Dd is like this AND has a severe allergy. I honestly think we are going to end up sending an apartment-sized fridge with her when she goes.

Edited by MamaSprout

Trash and recycling bins were provided in my son’s dorm, so I’m surprised you have to send them?   All I would say is I’m guessing housing prefers not to have a ton of food based garbage sitting in rooms for extended periods.  I remember carrying our my garbage a ton just to avoid smells when I was regularly  ordering food in my own dorm.  If she wants a smaller bin, this isn’t a hill I would choose to focus on.  If she is doing lots of food in room, she may really need to be getting that garbage out of the tiny space faster than you’d think.  Just another thought. 

• Like 1

Are you sure that a trash can isn't provided?  Both of my kids had trash cans in their room.  His second year, DS had one in his room, but not one in the common living area of the suite, and he purchases a larger size for that room.  Both kids also had a large trash cans in the main hallway for emptying trash on a regular basis.  

29 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Are you sure that a trash can isn't provided?  Both of my kids had trash cans in their room.  His second year, DS had one in his room, but not one in the common living area of the suite, and he purchases a larger size for that room.  Both kids also had a large trash cans in the main hallway for emptying trash on a regular basis.  

None provided in dd's dorm.  She'll be living in a suite and will have a trash can in her room and one in the bathroom, at least.  Not sure about the common area.

Get the small one she wants. If she needs a bigger one, I am sure she can figure out how to order one. Small is better because then trash is not going to sit for a long time in the room.

FWIW, our kitchen trashcan in our house is 10 L and has always sufficed, even with the kids.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, regentrude said:

FWIW, our kitchen trashcan in our house is 10 L and has always sufficed, even with the kids.

😮😮😮 I am just going to take a moment to contemplate this. 😶😶😶 I just can't imagine it! 😅 Ours is 13 gal and we empty it 1-2 times a day. 
(Of course, it's in a centralized area of our house, so it gets ALL the non-recyclable trash. Kids will bring stuff out of their room to toss in the kitchen trash can so their trash can stays empty and they don't have to empty it 🙄)

8 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Trash and recycling bins were provided in my son’s dorm, so I’m surprised you have to send them?   

No, they don't provide trash cans! Neither did DD1s! Isn't it fascinating how different all these schools/dorms operate!?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Kassia said:

My dd is the same way.  I don't know what she's going to eat from the dining hall.  We are sending her with some food and I'm also concerned about the trash issue, but she assures me she will just bring stuff out to the dumpster.  Of course, she brushes off all of my concerns which is making me crazy...

8 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

My Dd is like this AND has a severe allergy. I honestly think we are going to end up sending an apartment-sized fridge with her when she goes.

Well, at least our dds aren't alone, I guess! 😂 DD does have a food allergy, which is what started her finicky eating habits. 

We shall see!! We sent an apartment sized fridge to DD1 midway through freshman year and we might have to do the same with this DD once things settle in  

im gonna go with the smaller trash can due to comments here. she can upsize if she needs to later. But I'm gonna be sure to let her feel like she's "won" this one, so I'll get to win one later. 🤣😉

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

😮😮😮 I am just going to take a moment to contemplate this. 😶😶😶 I just can't imagine it! 😅 Ours is 13 gal and we empty it 1-2 times a day. 
(Of course, it's in a centralized area of our house, so it gets ALL the non-recyclable trash. Kids will bring stuff out of their room to toss in the kitchen trash can so their trash can stays empty and they don't have to empty it 🙄)

With the two of us, we now only have 1-2  plastic bags (the size in which you pack groceries at the store) worth of landfill trash a week. With kids, we might have had 3-4. I cook from scratch and don't buy a lot of processed overpackaged food. 
How do you produce 13 gal of non-recyclable trash a DAY???

Edited by regentrude
5 hours ago, regentrude said:
How do you produce 13 gal of non-recyclable trash a DAY???

lol!! Well, we are in the midst of a years-long DIY home renovation & that work *definitely* contributes to it. Plus dh and I both have a business being run from our homes, so that also contributes. 😅 There are anywhere from 5-10 of us in the house (well, pre-COVID, anyway) at all times, so that also contributes. 😆

I think DD#1 had a smaller one than what you linked, but I don't remember. She can always change her mind. Mine wants a rug now....

FWIW, for 7 people, we fill one grocery bag-sized trash can in the kitchen a day on average. But other rooms have their own trash cans which are ideally emptied once per week (but sometimes much less often). Well, six people now, but the rate hasn't changed much.

On 7/19/2020 at 4:53 AM, Kassia said:

Then she's doing her job, lol. 

There's usually quite a bit of variety in even smaller dining halls. I've never seen one that didn't have a salad bar and fresh fruit. Most of the other stations were pretty flexible, like the sandwich station would grill up  whatever you asked for, so you can skip the meat and bread and just have grilled veggies if you want. 

On 7/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, Bootsie said:

Are you sure that a trash can isn't provided?   

Two schools here, no trash can in room or common area 

17 hours ago, klmama said:

The smaller can may need to be emptied more often, but her room will smell better that way.  I'd go with the small.

I'd let her decide, it's such a small thing, but I'd also ask her if she knows just how far she has to go to empty the little one.