Menu

Job interview, but health issues...

Have a job interview this week for a resident assistant at an senior living home.  Anyone ever done anything like that?   I have fibro that is worsening and bad anxiety and another health issue.  I’m not sure I should even waste their time with an interview.  But at the same time, maybe I could do it?  Idk.   Any thoughts or wisdom?  Please.    The extra money isn’t necessary, just was thinking of doing something to get out of the house.   Give me some gentle wisdom, please. 

I love working with the elderly.   That said, with your fibro do you have any lifting/twisting restrictions?   Depending on the home and the needs of the residents, there can be a lot of lifting with senior care.  It can be physically hard work 

That said, some of my most enjoyable working years were at a nursing home (mostly in the kitchen though).

Did they spelk out what the duties would be?  Is it lighter stuff like serving up meals, dusting, social interaction with the residents, or more heavy duties like showering, lifting, changing adult briefs (diapers)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the one hand, a job interview is for the employer to find out if you're suitable for the job, and on the other hand, for you to find out more about the job.  I would go to the interview and dig into what the hours and duties would be.  What is expected of you and could you meet their requirement, say for the next year.  It is not a waste of time for either party.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you don't need the money, the ONLY interviews I would go to are the ones where I would really really want to. If you are already doubting it, and you mentioned anxiety - I wouldn't go.

If you just want to get out of the house - may be start with volunteering first and see if you can handle it health-wise, then consider a job

Edited by SereneHome
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SereneHome said:

If you don't need the money, the ONLY interviews I would go to are the ones where I would really really want to. If you are already doubting it, and you mentioned anxiety - I wouldn't go.

If you just want to get out of the house - may be start with volunteering first and see if you can handle it health-wise, then consider a job

This.  Try volunteering 

• Thanks 1

I would think about not only if you can do the job, but whether you can adhere to a rigid schedule of working day in and out, several days in a row, not being able to rest when you have a flare if it's a work day, etc...  Furthermore, how long of a shift you can handle?  I think committing to volunteering a few days a week is a great idea and sample run for you.  Good luck with your decision!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally depends on how many hours a week it would be. I would not consider full-time if you don't need the money, full stop. Part-time, maybe.

I know you'd be really good at working with the elderly. A long, long time ago I volunteered just a couple hours a week at a nursing home, visiting with residents, helping them paint or listen to music, reading to them, praying with them. Very rewarding. 

I'm so sorry about your health issues. image.png.5ea1cf3f6b82688b06029efb333c57b8.png

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What are you like during a flare?  

Not good.  Fever, sore muscles, sleep a lot.  In the past couple of months, joint pain has really set in. I  could kick myself for applying.   When I have a good few days, I feel like I can take on the world.  Then reality hits and I just hate my body.  Katilac mentioned not working somewhere like that right now.  I really hadn’t even thought about covid.  🤦🏻‍♀️  My brain fog is awful.    It is spreading like wildfire here and our hospital is at capacity and sending patients elsewhere.  If I get sick, my main concern is my interstitial cystitis.  Coughing is awful for my bladder and down below. 😥. My gosh, why did I even apply. I just want to cry. 

Edited by Thatboyofmine
Missed a word
1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Not good.  Fever, sore muscles, sleep a lot.  In the past couple of months, joint pain has really set in. I  could kick myself for applying.   When I have a good few days, I feel like I can take on the world.  Then reality hits and I just hate my body.  Katilac mentioned not working somewhere like that right now.  I really hadn’t even thought about covid.  🤦🏻‍♀️  My brain fog is awful.    It is spreading like wildfire here and our hospital is at capacity and sending patients elsewhere.  If I get sick, my main concern is my interstitial cystitis.  Coughing is awful for my bladder and down below. 😥. My gosh, why did I even apply. I just want to cry. 

You don’t have to accept an interview. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

My gosh, why did I even apply. I just want to cry. 

It's no big deal if you don't interview and it's no big deal if you do interview and then turn it down. Don't spend one minute feeling bad about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, katilac said:

It's no big deal if you don't interview and it's no big deal if you do interview and then turn it down. Don't spend one minute feeling bad about it. 

100% agree.  You can politely decline before or after and say that it won't work for you.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Thanks y’all.  I really needed to hear some words of wisdom.   💛💛💛

I'm sorry that your fibro has been bad.  Usually I get a bit of a respite during the summer but not this year. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm sorry that your fibro has been bad.  Usually I get a bit of a respite during the summer but not this year. 

Heat & humidity are the worst for me.  I live in Georgia and it’s just getting worse and worse for me.  

• Sad 1

My fibro has been so much worse this year. I think it's been brought on from the stress of Covid 19 and all that it entails. Some days just vacuuming the living room is the most productive I can be and then there are days, like yesterday, when even that would have been too much. So, I couldn't do it. I've never had a flare up last this long, which means I would make a terrible employee just about any where but definitely any where requiring physical work. 😞

• Sad 1