Menu

graphic design

mims

My 20 yr old dd is working full time but is interested in graphic design.  She just has a vague knowledge so far and is assuming she would need to do it online. So if you just wanted to get your feet wet and figure out a little more about the degree and pick and choose a few classes, is there any classes, online colleges, etc you would recommend?

• Like 1

Our CC has both a certificate and an AA in graphic design.

FWIW, my oldest has a BFA but went back to school to take graphic design classes. Last month she finally scored a job in a small print shop and is loving it and learning tons about both graphic design and printing. But without those classes even her art talent was not going to get her a GD job.

• Like 1

OP possibly she can Audit (Free, but no certificate) or Pay for a MOOC course on Coursera.org or edX.org?

If so, that would give her the basics and she could (hopefully) get an idea of what's involved and determine whether or not it is something of interest to her.

16 hours ago, mims said:

.  Her local community college doesn't have it just the university.  She was on the lookout for something online, cheaper, etc that she could work and do in the evenings.  

Besides community colleges, graphics design courses are also offered by the adult education center, and the cities’ art center (under Parks & Recreation).

OP: 4 days ago, I received a promotional email from Coursera.org about 12 popular Beginner level courses. (I'm taking one about Learning how to learn). All of their courses can be audited, free, but if one audits one doesn't get a Certificate. Some of their courses, like the Learning how to learn course, are Free, but I won't get a Certificate. Possibly your DD will be interested in this course. Here's the URL:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/fundamentals-of-graphic-design?utm_medium=email&utm_source=marketing&utm_campaign=69ig8ME9EeqQkuFCR22fJA

I think if she enrolls she will have 4 weeks to complete the course, from the date she enrolls, but if she gets behind I believe there's a way to shift into a later session. I read about that earlier today.  This is course 1 of 5 courses and they show that it will take approximately 15 hours to complete course 1.  If she wants to enroll, I believe she can do that any day she wants to and begin studying that day.   HTH

My DD is taking graphic design at the local CC online this fall. I suspect there is probanly some option in your state too, especially this year. 

• Like 1