Menu

DH called me OCD

frogger

Really it is just less stressful for me to make decisions logically with data rather than feelings so I made a chart for the Fall. Each activity was given points depending on how risky it was. Taekwondo was highest risk, then church, then small group lit discussion (points will change depending on behaivor of participants) and once a week Physics class and lastly cross country ski team since they are spread out over miles and my kid will listen if I say stay out of clusters of students when the coach is speaking and your grouped together.  Sadly, others I know will take more risk than me so friends will fall away with small group discussions 😞

Then points will be given for each increase in the following metrics Rt, weeks to ICU capacity at current rate, and and percent positive tests. When points reach the points given to the activities risk then that will be dropped  until we reach the point of self-isolation well before hospital capacity is being reached. 

It is mentally, emotional, and yes therefore even physically costly to self isolate so this was my way of weighing the costs and benefits and if nothing else will have us isolating at the most strategic times rather than always or "until there is a vaccine".  

My husband can laugh all he wants but in the end he will probably just let me make the decision (whether I want to or not) and I'm not big on "gut" decisions or feelings or just doing what the crowd is doing. So call it OCD but I call it freeing. Most decision making tools are freeing.  

• Like 10

I'm definitely into charts, graphs, and data-driven decisions. I'm also someone who does have "gut" feelings but who doesn't necessarily listen to them.

Dd#1 made a chart for narrowing down her college choice with about 30 factors with importance weighing & a 3 pt scale for showing the quality of each. But she's like me in that the clear #1 by that chart was not her final choice. ;) It made her feel better to have made the chart, though. And it helped her think up other factors influencing her decision.

I don't know that I would have referred to it as OCD.

• Like 2

I see nothing wrong with this.

🙂

(seriously, though...this is how I make decisions, too.  I think a lot of us do.  And, for the record OCD would be more like working and reworking your chart compulsively just because you think you might've missed something.  And also for the record, free thinkers NEED analytical thinkers and vice-versa.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This reminded me...my mom recently sent a text to the family complaining about my dad driving her nuts..she said, "No one but your Dad would make a spreadsheet to research buying a new pillow". My sister said, "I would!" and I replied, "well, I made one for comparing types of grass seed, and when I was researching a new printer...so I probably would too."

So you can join the club with my Dad, my sister, and I, lol. We feel you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, frogger said:

Really it is just less stressful for me to make decisions logically with data rather than feelings so I made a chart for the Fall. Each activity was given points depending on how risky it was. Taekwondo was highest risk, then church, then small group lit discussion (points will change depending on behaivor of participants) and once a week Physics class and lastly cross country ski team since they are spread out over miles and my kid will listen if I say stay out of clusters of students when the coach is speaking and your grouped together.  Sadly, others I know will take more risk than me so friends will fall away with small group discussions 😞

Then points will be given for each increase in the following metrics Rt, weeks to ICU capacity at current rate, and and percent positive tests. When points reach the points given to the activities risk then that will be dropped  until we reach the point of self-isolation well before hospital capacity is being reached. 

It is mentally, emotional, and yes therefore even physically costly to self isolate so this was my way of weighing the costs and benefits and if nothing else will have us isolating at the most strategic times rather than always or "until there is a vaccine".  

My husband can laugh all he wants but in the end he will probably just let me make the decision (whether I want to or not) and I'm not big on "gut" decisions or feelings or just doing what the crowd is doing. So call it OCD but I call it freeing. Most decision making tools are freeing.  

I wonder why more tkd studios don’t consider running outdoors for a while.  Non contact outdoors learning moves and patterns should be reasonably low risk.  Well, if they removed the shouting kehap part for a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I wonder why more tkd studios don’t consider running outdoors for a while.  Non contact outdoors learning moves and patterns should be reasonably low risk.  Well, if they removed the shouting kehap part for a while.

Our studio is doing this. They have spots spray painted on the grass where the kids are supposed to stay. They are not doing any sparring or anything for now. They continually remind us (parents watching) to stay 6 feet apart and at the end of class, he reminds kids to walk to their cars while keeping their distance from other kids. He's also shortened the classes to leave extra time between classes so one class is completely gone before the next one starts. (Except for those of us who have both beginning and advanced students)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, frogger said:

Most decision making tools are freeing.  

Data-driven decisions take effort and planning.   Ask him if he would prefer that you make emotion-based decisions.   

Sometimes, with hubby, it's better if I just give him the executive summary.  I like the details, but he trusts me to make the health decisions, so for him, seeing the detail behind them is too much.  (Were anything to happen to me, he would undoubtedly not invest the same effort, but by then I won't care.) 

This isn't OCD.

A more laid back personality might accuse you of overthinking it.   But, I wouldn't accuse you of that.   

I think this current situation is impossible to figure out if you don't come up with some sort of system.    It's a completely different world now than when you were making these same decisions last fall.