Menu

We sold our house!!!

Lady Florida.

We signed a contract on  spec house in December. In March we put our house on the market, hoping to closely match the closing on the new house so we wouldn't have to worry about where to live short term. The weekend after we put the old house up for sale, everything blew up, but construction on the new house continued. We closed in May and this month was the first month we had to pay two mortgages. Even though showings were picking up, it's an old house being sold as-is (we did fix code items) which made it harder to sell. It needs a lot of cosmetic work. We haven't even gotten so much as a lowball offer and were discussing a price drop.

So, last night I posted this in Æthelthryth the Texan's thread on mortgage rates (I have tried and tried but cannot get my laptop to make that symbol - had to c&p, and I can never tag her).

Not long after I posted, our realtor called with an offer. And it's a good one so we are taking it. When all is done it's only slightly lower than what we would have dropped the price to, and still well above our bottom line. They want to close Sept. 1st. I'll be so happy to get that house from around our necks. I love our new place but everything feels kind of...unfinished. Like, as long as we still have that empty house we're not fully living here. 

• Like 38

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

We signed a contract on  spec house in December. In March we put our house on the market, hoping to closely match the closing on the new house so we wouldn't have to worry about where to live short term. The weekend after we put the old house up for sale, everything blew up, but construction on the new house continued. We closed in May and this month was the first month we had to pay two mortgages. Even though showings were picking up, it's an old house being sold as-is (we did fix code items) which made it harder to sell. It needs a lot of cosmetic work. We haven't even gotten so much as a lowball offer and were discussing a price drop.

So, last night I posted this in Æthelthryth the Texan's thread on mortgage rates (I have tried and tried but cannot get my laptop to make that symbol - had to c&p, and I can never tag her).

Not long after I posted, our realtor called with an offer. And it's a good one so we are taking it. When all is done it's only slightly lower than what we would have dropped the price to, and still well above our bottom line. They want to close Sept. 1st. I'll be so happy to get that house from around our necks. I love our new place but everything feels kind of...unfinished. Like, as long as we still have that empty house we're not fully living here. 

Wonderful news! I am so happy for you.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

So fast after you posted!  Must be the luck of posting on the hive.     Yay.  Congratulations!!!!

That's exactly what I thought when we got the phone call! 😄 

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Congratulations! I've been wondering but didn't want to bring up a worry. Hope it's all smooth sailing from here. I guess Sept. 1 isn't really that far off....

Thanks. The way we're looking at it is that it's only one more mortgage payment. We can do it.

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Congrats!

(That symbol can be entered by holding the Alt key while typing in 0198.  Have you tried that?)

Thanks. I haven't tried that. What I found told me to hold down fn and alt while typing J O U. Or something like that. 

• Like 1

That is wonderful!  Dh and I start getting my parents' house on the market tomorrow.  We're going over with pen, paper, and measuring tape to determine just exactly what needs to get done.  We thought we had at least another year before it was going on the market but the new plan is to be ready by Spring. Though I don't think it will take that long even though I have the baby now who I can't leave for as long as the rest of the kids

• Like 1