Menu

Podcasts....which are your favorite?

Ottakee

I am very late to the game, but want to start listening to some pod casts.  

I asked a friend's daughter and I have 3 different ones on Black perspective on current events.   Now I need more variety.

I am a conservative Christian but also more left leaning in some social issues.  I would love short podcasts....say 15-30 minutes that really discuss issues, esp. if they offer differing thoughts and ideas on a given topic.

Basically, I would like stuff that is a bit more mentally challenging . . . But not just left or right ranting about how wrong the other side is.   Also good, Biblical teaching ones would be great... especially practical application.

Basically, I am drained from the FB posts of side A saying how horrible side B is....and side B saying how horrible side A is.....but neither side really talking and discussing and debating ideas.

I love the literary life podcast with Angelina Stanford and Cindy Rollins.  The only downside is they’re on the longer side so I rarely get to listen to a whole one in a day.  Mostly apolitical and revolving around reading good books.  Definitely a Christian viewpoint.  

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

I'd recommend ones by this pastor/theologian.  I'd probably describe him as exactly what you said:  conservative (meaning adhering to Biblical truth) but left-leaning on social issues (which he wouldn't describe as left-leaning, but would describe as Biblical truth).

Longer ones (sermons):  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/woodland-hills-church-high/id80040501

Shorter ones (This site is a mix of essays and podcasts):  https://reknew.org

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I really love The Holy Post. It's hosted by the guy who created Veggie Tales. It's him and a few other people discussing various issues in the news, how Christianity might related, and other topics. One I was listening to today had an interview with a neurotheologist...which I didn't know was a thing. https://www.holypost.com/

I just saw some videos by him a few days ago, and wow -- that was surprisingly very neat and encouraging to see!  

• Like 1

I haven't listened to podcasts for about a year, but these were my favorite:

Stuff You Missed In History Class is something I listen to when I want to learn something completely unrelated to daily life, more an escape. They usually put a warning if there are triggers in the particular episode, too, so that's helpful when I want something a bit lighter.

NPR Planet Money is actually really, really, really interesting! Don't let the name throw you off, it completely pulls you in and is well produced. There may be a slant sometimes politically but not preachy about it, at least the last time I listened.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

I haven't listened to podcasts for about a year, but these were my favorite:

Stuff You Missed In History Class is something I listen to when I want to learn something completely unrelated to daily life, more an escape. They usually put a warning if there are triggers in the particular episode, too, so that's helpful when I want something a bit lighter.

NPR Planet Money is actually really, really, really interesting! Don't let the name throw you off, it completely pulls you in and is well produced. There may be a slant sometimes politically but not preachy about it, at least the last time I listened.

Yes, planet money is incredible! I HATED economics in school - still hate it. Have no interest nor aptitude, but they can explain things in a way that is both interesting and easy to grasp. Their coverage of the mortgage crisis was absolutely amazing - I think thy may have won an award for it. 

• Like 1

OH! RadioLab! RadioLab is SO well done! And it's science topics mostly - but the production value is super! The way they cut from interview to interview seamlessly goes above and beyond anything else I've ever heard!!! https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab

I also find Hidden Brain to be FASCINATING but might be too current events laden for you - but not all the episodes are. It's really about neuroscience and how it impacts our actions without us realizing. https://www.npr.org/series/423302056/hidden-brain

And for lighter and totally non political, non current events, This is Jen by Jen Fulwiler is fun and inspiring. She's embraced her "hot mess" mom and talks openly about how bad she and her husband are at birthdays and giftgiving, and other stuff while getting in some good messages about self acceptance, moving forward, etc. https://jenniferfulwiler.com/podcast/  Her books are some of my favorite as well. 

• Like 3

I love love love Krista Tippett's On Being.  It's hard to explain what it's about -- "religion" is directionally right but doesn't really get to the theme.  The ongoing work of answering the prophetic call to struggle towards living a closer approximation of our better selves, something like that.   She is an extremely insightful interviewer.

• Like 3

This doesn't exactly fit your request; it's kind of light but it's interesting and has led me on some rabbit trails:  Outside/In:     http://outsideinradio.org/

Outside/In combines solid reporting and long-form narrative storytelling to bring the outdoors to you wherever you are. You don’t have to be a whitewater kayaker, an obsessive composter, or a conservation biologist to love Outside/In. It’s a show for anyone who has ever been outdoors. In short, it’s a show for *almost* everyone.

I just subscribed to Tim Keller's sermons but haven't listen to any yet. I have always liked his books.

• Like 1

Stuff You Should Know is one of my current favorites. They range from their "short stuff" episodes which are around 10-15 min to longer ones up to an hour. They are fascinating and cover a huge range of topics. Some topics this week: How a Flea Circus Works, How Landfills Work, What was the KGB, The Science of Funny Words, Flagpole Sitting: A Real Fad. Josh and Chuck (hosts) are funny and there a TON of back episodes to listen to.

• Like 1

Ear Hustle....It's not for the faint of heart but I have found it fascinating. It takes place in San Quentin prison. One prison resident and a Visual Artist who volunteers there discuss different topics specific to being incarcerated for long periods of time. Often lifers or long sentences. I've been shocked, queazy and amazed by what these men say. But it can be explicit so listeners beware. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PerfectFifth said:

Ear Hustle....It's not for the faint of heart but I have found it fascinating. It takes place in San Quentin prison. One prison resident and a Visual Artist who volunteers there discuss different topics specific to being incarcerated for long periods of time. Often lifers or long sentences. I've been shocked, queazy and amazed by what these men say. But it can be explicit so listeners beware. 

Since my x husband is serving 90 years in a federal prison, not sure on this one....but certainly not with my kids around 

1 hour ago, kand said:

This board is amazing. I’m always telling my family that whatever is going on in life, without fail a thread about it pops up on TWTM at just the right time. It’s uncanny. Just last night I discovered that I can listen to podcasts through my car’s  media system (late to the game, I know 😳), so I knew I was going to have to come here to find out what podcasts I should add. Then I log on this morning and see this thread. My player is now loaded with subscriptions! Now I have to think of somewhere to drive so I can listen to them 😂

Don't worry, I am also figuring out how to play the podcasts through my Android Auto.  I have lots of places to drive....I just need everyone else in the car to be quiet so I can listen.

Regarding current events from a moderate Christian perspective, Christianity Today has a podcast called Quick to Listen, that I typically find thoughtful and informative. I think it's about an hour, but i listen usually on 1.5 speed and then it's just the  perfect of time for me to bike the by my house!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:52 PM, Ottakee said:

Since my x husband is serving 90 years in a federal prison, not sure on this one....but certainly not with my kids around 

I'm so sorry. I wasn't aware of your xh's situation. It absolutely wouldn't be a good option under those circumstances.....If you enjoyed West Wing, West Wing Weekly is a great podcast. They go episode through episode. Josh Malina was one of the characters on the show so it's fun to hear him interact with his former cast mates. It's hard to listen to some of it when we have to listen to our current president but it's good fun. They touch on a lot of politics and how our system of government works....or should work. My kids and I have really enjoyed it and learned some things 😉

Edited by PerfectFifth
  • Like 1

I like the true crime stuff. Currently working my way through the Crime Junkie podcast. Serial was good too (I only listened to season one, can’t speak to the others). 

I also enjoyed Unobscured season 1. It was all about the events surrounding the Salem witch trials. The narrator has an odd way of speaking but I got used to it. I see he has a new season that looks like it’s about the Great Awakenings.

I love Gravy.  It's a podcast of the Southern Foodways Alliance, which I suppose is a little left leaning, but it isn't very overtly political.  The hashtag is that "we tell stories of the emerging south," and they do that through food.  So, they'll tell a story about a Mexican immigrant in Lexington that grinds local corn to make tortillas.  Or a black farmer in south Georgia. Or whatever.  But it's a lot more interesting than just hearing Paula Deen pour butter into a casserole dish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I use them to bribe myself into cleaning, sorting, painting, whatever task I am avoiding, lol!

I drive a LOT....but have kids with me in the car talking 

I do try to play them when I have chores I need to do....but don't want to do, and while I walk.