Menu

Grab and go bag, dorm edition

Dd's university is requiring students to bring bags which are ready to grab at a moment's notice in case they get put into quarantine, which would be in a single room and could last two weeks. They aren't elaborating on exactly what to pack. 

I'm thinking some comfortable clothes, some hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, acetaminophen, towel, soap, shampoo. Maybe a favorite book. Some tea or hot chocolate packets would be nice, but it's not at all clear that she'd have access to hot water. Probably no refrigeration.

Any other campuses doing this? What's going in your grab and go bag?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This is a list a parent on our FB parents page posted (It did not copy/paste well and I don't know how to fix it).  We were told students would have to bring their own sheets/blankets/towels/pillows/etc. 

Seems like so much to me - like they basically have to pack their entire room:

Dorm Quarantine Packing List All items should fit in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote COVID Health Aides (have these items ready to go) o Thermometer o Cough syrup w mucus thinner (non-acetaminophen) o Tissues o Tylenol (acetaminophen) o Vicks vapor rub o Asthma inhaler o Water bottles/dry snacks o Cough drops o Extra masks o 3 rolls of toilet paper o 1 roll of paper towels & cleaner o Copy of health insurance card o List of important contacts o Toiletries o Toothpaste & toothbrush o Dental floss o Travel size soap and shampoo o Deodorant o Medical prescriptions o Razor & shaving cream o Hair dryer o Brush/comb o Glasses/Contacts & solution o Antibacterial gel o Hand soap o o Linens: o 1 -2 towels/wash cloths o 1 set of sheets o Blanket o Pillow Clothes (Quarantine will last approx. 10 – 14 days; you may need to make arrangements to have someone wash your laundry). o 2-3 pairs of pajamas o 5 pairs of shorts/sweat pants o 5 shirts o 2 long sleeve sweaters/sweatshirts o 5 – 7 underwear o 5 – 7 pairs of socks o Flip flops o Sneakers o o o School Supplies: o Books o Computer & charger o Thumb drives o Pens/pencils/highlighters o Notebook/paper o o o Additional supplies: o Chargers o Phones o Power strip

I would also add feminine products for a girl

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Kassia said:

This is a list a parent on our FB parents page posted (It did not copy/paste well and I don't know how to fix it).  We were told students would have to bring their own sheets/blankets/towels/pillows/etc. 

Dorm Quarantine Packing List All items should fit in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote COVID Health Aides (have these items ready to go) o Thermometer o Cough syrup w mucus thinner (non-acetaminophen) o Tissues o Tylenol (acetaminophen) o Vicks vapor rub o Asthma inhaler o Water bottles/dry snacks o Cough drops o Extra masks o 3 rolls of toilet paper o 1 roll of paper towels & cleaner o Copy of health insurance card o List of important contacts o Toiletries o Toothpaste & toothbrush o Dental floss o Travel size soap and shampoo o Deodorant o Medical prescriptions o Razor & shaving cream o Hair dryer o Brush/comb o Glasses/Contacts & solution o Antibacterial gel o Hand soap o o Linens: o 1 -2 towels/wash cloths o 1 set of sheets o Blanket o Pillow Clothes (Quarantine will last approx. 10 – 14 days; you may need to make arrangements to have someone wash your laundry). o 2-3 pairs of pajamas o 5 pairs of shorts/sweat pants o 5 shirts o 2 long sleeve sweaters/sweatshirts o 5 – 7 underwear o 5 – 7 pairs of socks o Flip flops o Sneakers o o o School Supplies: o Books o Computer & charger o Thumb drives o Pens/pencils/highlighters o Notebook/paper o o o Additional supplies: o Chargers o Phones o Power strip

Oof! While that's a great list, you're right - it's pretty much their whole darn room! How can we pack a "grab and go" bag with additional linens/towels without spending additional $$$$ to have spares of each of these so they can be packed away to grab at a moment's notice? DDs dorm room is so small, there's just no way.

And who on earth is gonna volunteer to pick up and wash their SICK friend's laundry?? Are they really expecting that to be a thing that college kids will do for each other (am I crazy?)??

DDs univ. has said if the student needs to quarantine (because of exposure to a COVID positive case), their whole suite will quarantine together. So, all 4 kids get to quarantine if any one of them was exposed. Considering that all 4 of DDs suitemates and herself are different majors, attending different colleges within the university... we're pretty sure this is going to happen at least once or twice during the semester... 😐

If the student tests positive or is showing symptoms, they will then either go home or be taken to an isolated (single) room for two weeks to recover. Their suitemates would then have to quarantine in their room without them.

DD currently has two friends with COVID. Other than feeling sorta yucky, having a slight cough, and being tired... they're doing fine and both are into the second week. I'm trying to focus on those guys' stories (some of DDs other young friends who've had it haven't had such an easy time!).

• Like 2

@easypeasy yes, the list has me a bit overwhelmed and I don't know what to do.  She doesn't have room to have all of this packed and ready to go.  I know a few young people who have tested positive - one just had a mild sore throat, the other two were more severe, but no worse than the regular flu.  I'm really nervous about sending dd to school OOS.  Such a stressful time for everyone.  

• Like 1

She would probably want or need most of the things she has in her regular dorm room. Would she be studying while in quarantine? Probably she would be, so she would need her computer and other things. Sounds like a lot of things would be in that emergency bag and some of them would be duplicates of expensive things, like her computer.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lanny said:

She would probably want or need most of the things she has in her regular dorm room. Would she be studying while in quarantine? Probably she would be, so she would need her computer and other things. Sounds like a lot of things would be in that emergency bag and some of them would be duplicates of expensive things, like her computer.

She and I were talking about this yesterday. I figure the computer itself would be easy to slip in her backpack and take along. Books could be harder. I remember the stacks of books I used to have spread around on my desk, especially if I was in the middle of writing a paper. Getting that sort of assortment ready to move in a hurry could be tough.

15 hours ago, klmama said:

She might also want a phone charger

Excellent idea, thank you.

14 hours ago, Kassia said:

Thank you! That's very helpful. I wish the school had given us a list.

6 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Oof! While that's a great list, you're right - it's pretty much their whole darn room! How can we pack a "grab and go" bag with additional linens/towels without spending additional $$$$ to have spares of each of these so they can be packed away to grab at a moment's notice? DDs dorm room is so small, there's just no way.

It is a lot! This is more than I was envisioning. Dd's school implies, without stating clearly, that they don't need to pack linens: there's a staff member responsible for coordinating linens and some other things. I don't have twin xl sheets lying around, but might get a cheap set just in case. We have plenty of towels.

I'm glad dd's school is planning for the need to quarantine, but being ready to be sent there at a moment's notice adds a new layer of stress and complexity. This is so *not* the freshman year any of these kids wanted.

• Like 2

That list sounds totally unreasonable to me--and I haven't heard of anything similar at DSs university.  I can't imagine a student have a computer and charger, for example, in a to-go bag.  I can't imagine any quarantine situation being where a student can only run into a room and grab something in a 5 minute time frame.  It would be prudent for a student to keep a tidy room so that they could get items quickly or send someone to get items out of the room; especially if there are roommates, you don't want one student picking up books or personal items that belong to another student.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Maybe she has a starter bag and the list handy to grab other things? Surely they’d have 5-10 minutes?!

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I can't imagine any quarantine situation being where a student can only run into a room and grab something in a 5 minute time frame. 

Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what they're envisioning. In our case, they said to have the bag ready to go, but didn't give a list. I hate to be that parent, but I may get in touch with someone in Residence Life and ask some questions.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Innisfree said:

I hate to be that parent, but I may get in touch with someone in Residence Life and ask some questions.

I'm sure they are hearing from TONS of "usually-not-those-parents" this year. Things are just wacky right now and normal rules no longer apply, imho. Call away! 😄

I'm betting their actual intentions are for each student to have a mostly-empty bag ready to go and here's a list of things to toss into said bag if/when you are being removed from your dorm room to a quarantine room.

My dd will have an empty suitcase and I'm sending a medium-sized Rubbermaid container with COVID-specific lockdown stuff that she'll store inside the suitcase. So: Tylenol, cough meds, cough drops, thermometer, pulse ox, NyQuil/DayQuil, Vicks, ice packs (I'm sending the old-school kind you can fill with ice), and some small entertainment things she usually wouldn't be interested in, but might if she's locked in a freaking room for two weeks (a small puzzle, jacks, a new deck of cards, SODUKU, a beach-read book, Thinking Putty, etc) and some soft socks. A 10-pack of cheap washcloths from Target, so if she has a fever, but no ice, she can keep some cold water and washcloths on her head.

I'm also putting an additional power strip in the suitcase because I imagine she'd remember to grab her chargers, but not the power strip. Also, some boxed soup, paper bowls, plastic spoons, crackers, Goldfish, electrolyte packets, and a few frozen kiddie electrolyte pops in case she has a freezer available.

She also has a pre-packed bathroom case that's always ready-to-go (we always have this though - each kid has their own that we leave stocked up and stored with the suitcases for when we travel - no more left-behind toothbrushes or hairbrushes this way! It's always stocked with enough for a two-week trip.). Oh - also a laundry bag that we also keep already-packed with each suitcase.

So, she'll have to toss in some clothes and pack her backpack with school stuff and her laptop. And, apparently, maybe have to grab her extra set of sheets, a pillow, and some towels too! lol I hope there's someone who can help her haul everything if this ever happens!

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 2

I would think a printout of that list on the wall by her desk would be sufficient.  If she has room for the tub maybe use it to store any of those items she was planning on taking anyway like the the meds/feminine supplies/toothpaste and use the tub to store extra set of sheets or towels and general stuff.  I personally doubt a hairdryer is on my grab bag if stuck in my room.  I would not buy extra books.  If someone can come do the laundry then someone should be able to bring a book.

• Like 2