Menu

Multi-Age mostly open and go/no religious suggestions

I'll be homeschooling this year again.  It has been AGES since I've homeschooled and last time I did this I had 1 kid.  ONE!!!  No one to chase, no naptime to work around, just that kid to school.  It was lovely.  

Now...I'm looking to HS both 1st and 5th grade.  I was looking at Bookshark, and Build Your Library.  I'd love something that's easy to implement for a variety of grades (there's a chance my nephew will join us depending on his school's Return to Learn Plan).  I don't know that any of us are doing this with the intent that we will go back to "normal" school next year.  We may keep homeschooling so following my district's plan is not something I'm interested in.  

I would love-

1. American History as the history component
  2. Lots of books/read alouds, we love books
  3. something for a variety of grades
  4. either little or no religion other than discussions of learning about it
  5. fact based science

I would find something for the 5th grader, and just let the younger one follow along when hes interested.  Here, 1st grade includes phonics, handwriting,  spelling and math.  Science and history are just what they glean from older kids lessons, read alouds, discussions, or educational videos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

I would find something for the 5th grader, and just let the younger one follow along when hes interested.  Here, 1st grade includes phonics, handwriting,  spelling and math.  Science and history are just what they glean from older kids lessons, read alouds, discussions, or educational videos. 

That's a good plan!

Mine are 3 years apart.  Some years when he was young I just summarized science and history and let the younger go if he wanted, or he could listen if he wanted.  You can get a few fun books at the library for the youngest that match the topics you're doing, or just separate fun books.  

It's not really worth buying a big coordinated thing with those age differences and 2 children.