Cinnamon Sugar??? Have you heard of it?

Janeway

Cinnamon Sugar  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Have you heard of Cinnamon sugar?

• Yes! I knew about it when I grew up
    • I heard about it as an adult
    • What is Cinnamon Sugar?

Yup. Used to try to sneak that onto my morning oatmeal instead of just cinnamon as a kid. As a breakfast treat, my mom would make toast with it. When we didn't have it pre-mixed, we'd do it ourselves. In my high school and early college years I moved to using it with butter on tortillas.

I've never heard it called "cinnamon sugar," though I've had cinnamon and sugar on toast, rice pudding, lefse (Norwegian soft flatbread). It seems pretty standard.

I would be confused if someone asked me for "cinnamon sugar," though. There is an 'and' in between those two things. 😉 

6 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Toasting first is totally the CORRECT way to do it!  Once you put the stuff on it, how do you put it in the toaster?  You can't, then you have to use the oven, which requires a pan and that more work.  The whole point of cinnamon toast is that it's simple enough that the kids can get their own breakfast and using the oven kinda of defeats that point.  At least that's how it worked in my house.

Mom buttered wonder bread, added cinnamon and sugar (never premixed because that’s for rich people) and then toasted in the oven. There were 4 kids, so oven broiling is just faster. Mom made a lot of bread, so of course we thought wonder bread was an awesome treat. 

16 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Does anyone use powdered sugar instead of regular sugar for their cinnamon sugar?

You REBEL! 

I sometimes wonder how few spices I really need. I’m sure 2/3 of my spice cabinet contains spices mixed entirely from ingredients I keep on hand. One day when I have time I’ll figure that out. 

Morgan Freeman: She will, in fact, never ‘figure that out’ because never again in her life did she have as much time as she did during The Pandemic. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Mom buttered wonder bread, added cinnamon and sugar (never premixed because that’s for rich people) and then toasted in the oven. There were 4 kids, so oven broiling is just faster. Mom made a lot of bread, so of course we thought wonder bread was an awesome treat. 

My mom was/is not a morning person.  I really don't remember her ever making us breakfast.  By the time I was in mid grade school (4th-5th grade), I was waking her up to take me to school.  So cinnamon toast was definitely a serve yourself breakfast that I had mastered by the time I was 6 or so. Plus my siblings weren't not nearly as enamored with cinnamon toast as I was so they made something else.  Funny part about bread, my mom only bought white bread because that was what my dad liked.  I LOVED whole wheat bread, brown rice, potatoes with skins (things we never got because my dad didn't like them).  For me anything that wasn't white squishy bread was an absolute treat. 

I first heard of it at a Pampered Chef show in my early 20s.  I have seen it to be common ever since.  But it’s not something I heard of growing up.  

And we did eat a lot of cinnamon toast, we just added sugar and cinnamon separately.  

3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Why would it be a rich people thing to premix the cinnamon and sugar?  

It’s a bit of a family joke. Mom was frugal and would never pay extra to mix cinnamon and sugar. It took her decades to come to terms with bottled water. She just didn’t have it in her to pay extra for something that only saved one minute of time. 

Somehow this morphed into a family joke where my sister declares that these lesser luxuries are “for rich people.” That then evolved into, anytime she didn’t want to give her kids something, she told them it was for rich people just to annoy them. 

“Mom, can you pass the salt?” 

“No way. Salt’s for rich people.”

I am aware of how ridiculous we are. 😬

On 7/16/2020 at 10:24 PM, marbel said:

I am pretty sure that I was actually taught cinnamon toast in 8th grade home ec.

I hope you got an A 😄

On 7/17/2020 at 12:07 AM, Tap said:

1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon. I have a jar I reuse and adapt down the ratio just a smidgen so it fits in the jar.

Wowzers, that is a lot of sugar! I love me some sugar, but we're about 1/2 and 1/2 around here. 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:46 AM, kiwik said:

I said yes but to me it is soft brown sugar mixed with cinnamon.   

I am def going to try that. 

On 7/17/2020 at 6:50 AM, Sherry in OH said:

I first encountered pre-made shakers of it at a restaurant.  My sister ordered French toast expecting it to come with syrup.  Instead the waitress brought a shaker of cinnamon sugar along with the toast.  

That's actually a little weird; syrup is far more common with French toast, certainly in restaurants. Maybe they were out of syrup and the server just hoped a kid wouldn't know any better, lol. 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, purpleowl said:

You "toast it first" people are crazy. 🤷‍♀️😄

It's really more that I'm lazy, lol 

17 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

It’s a bit of a family joke. Mom was frugal and would never pay extra to mix cinnamon and sugar. 

You don't have to pay extra for it, you just mix it yourself and keep it in a jar or shaker. We bought a cute little shaker of premixed once and then refilled it for the entirety of my kids' childhoods, lol. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, marbel said:

Oh now you've reminded me of the cinnamon toast debate in my house, years ago, probably when I first made it for the kids.

I toast the bread, butter it, sprinkle on the cin/sugar. 

So my husband was appalled! He butters the bread, sprinkles on the c/s, then toasts it.

NBD, he makes it his way, I make it mine. Not sure what method the kids ended up following. Probably mine simply because they saw me do it most often. 

I toast, then butter, then add the cinnamon sugar, then put it back in the toaster oven for 30-60 seconds to melt the sugar a little.   I think I’ll try your dh’s method- it might be right up my dh’s alley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I hope you got an A 😄

Wowzers, that is a lot of sugar! I love me some sugar, but we're about 1/2 and 1/2 around here. 

I am def going to try that. 

That's actually a little weird; syrup is far more common with French toast, certainly in restaurants. Maybe they were out of syrup and the server just hoped a kid wouldn't know any better, lol. 

It's really more that I'm lazy, lol 

You don't have to pay extra for it, you just mix it yourself and keep it in a jar or shaker. We bought a cute little shaker of premixed once and then refilled it for the entirety of my kids' childhoods, lol. 

That was the whole point of my post. Mom mixed it herself because buying it premixed was “for rich people.” I was asked to clarify. 🤣