Cinnamon Sugar??? Have you heard of it?

Janeway

Cinnamon Sugar  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Have you heard of Cinnamon sugar?

• Yes! I knew about it when I grew up
    • I heard about it as an adult
    • What is Cinnamon Sugar?

I was talking to an old friend today and one of the kids came in and asked for some cinnamon sugar. My friend (in her 70's) had never heard of it! Now I wonder if it is a regional or cultural thing. So I need to make a poll! I am so curious! Also, please comment if you have any thoughts on this topic.

edited to add: I always mixed it myself, I did not even realize it was sold premade.

Edited by Janeway

Didn’t have it growing up because my mom doesn’t like cinnamon, but I knew about it and we have it now.  I have bought it from time to time because the kids liked the domino’s shakers with animal pictures on the front, but now I have a jelly size canning jar that my husband punched holes in a canning lid for a shaker and have it closed with a canning ring.  It is very easy to see how much we have and to refill it when necessary.

I'm very allergic to Cinnamon, so I learned very early to request that it not be used if I was sleeping over, because it was so ubiquitous. 

• Sad 1

Yes, and I LOVED it on toast. We mixed our own but put it in these Domino cinnamon and sugar shakers you could buy pre-filled:

image.png.bbff01b6f551006fe5eef3df2e1e5a8f.png

Anyone else remember these? We had this cheerleader and a football player. Domino still sells cinnamon sugar shakers, but they have printed labels for the animal characters rather than molded bottles (boo). 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

I just eyeballed it when mixing it up as a kid. Now if I want cinnamon toast, I just sprinkle sugar and cinnamon and skip the mixing it up step.

Leftover hamburger buns make great cinnamon toast.

Or hot dog buns! (Same bread, different shape)

We keep a jar of it at all times, we just toss some of each ingredient in and shake it up, adjust till it's the right color.

I am pretty sure that I was actually taught cinnamon toast in 8th grade home ec.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

Grew up with it and we mix our own and keep it in a shaker.

Is it possible she misunderstood?  Cinnamon sugar seems like such a common flavor pairing.

Another big question: Do you measure a certain proportion or just eyeball it?

1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon. I have a jar I reuse and adapt down the ratio just a smidgen so it fits in the jar.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Does anyone use powdered sugar instead of regular sugar for their cinnamon sugar?

I have seen it used for dusting on cookies/muffins etc, but generally  it is granulated. The sugar crystals melt better. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I made it all the time as a kid.  I actually didn't know it was a product you could buy.  It's so basic it never would have occurred to me to even look for it in the store.

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

wait you can buy cinnamon sugar?? We have always just made our own

Cinnamon toast was a staple at our house when I was a kid, and my mom always mixed the cinnamon and sugar herself. I'm guessing back then you had to do it yourself. And I remember the first time I noticed it in a store, already mixed, which hasn't been all that many years ago. I was kind of flabbergasted that you could buy it ready made. I'm pretty sure my first thought was "How lazy is that?" LOL. But of course now I buy it, so I guess I am that lazy. 😉 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tap said:

Totally normal. I don't remember not having it growing up. We made our own and didn't buy premade.  A cooking cupboard staple, like garlic salt to me. 

Same. I grew up with it and still keep both cinnamon and cinnamon sugar. 

We never bought it or premixed it when I was a  kid, but we definitely had cinnamon sugar toast!. Toast bread, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, sprinkle with sugar. My mind was blown when I learned some people premixed it/bought is mixed as a young adult. 

Now I feel the need to eat some, but the kids and I are headed to see my mom for a long weekend (we've all been SIP as much as possible, and we haven't seen her since Christmas), so I think they'll get enough treats the next few days!

Funny story,  we have these salt shakers that my dad got from The Restaurant Store that we only use for salt.  My dad keeps multiple filled at all times because he always wants one next to the stove for seasoning while cooking but he was annoyed that my mom kept taking his cooking salt shaker to the table for meals and never putting it back.  So, one day I am sauteing some veggies and of course season it with the salt only to find out at dinner that some lunatic has put cinnamon sugar in one of the salt shakers!!  Dh, sees my face when I take that first bite and he immediately says 'oops, I forgot to label the new cinnamon sugar container.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I knew about cinnamon sugar as a child but it wasn't a household staple.  My mother mixed cinnamon and sugar as needed, but far more often served French toast with syrup - usually Log Cabin or the generic equivalent.   I first encountered pre-made shakers of it at a restaurant.  My sister ordered French toast expecting it to come with syrup.  Instead the waitress brought a shaker of cinnamon sugar along with the toast.  

I grew up with cinnamon-sugar too, made by my mother.  It's also good on oatmeal, by the way!   And with a cup of hot chocolate.  I always made my own too.  When I discovered it was an actual spice that you could buy at the grocery store, I tried it once.  But I didn't quite like the proportions.  I like mine with a little less sugar.  Gosh, come to think of it, I haven't had cinnamon-sugar toast for ages!  I think I'll make myself a piece.  🙂 

Yes, but you see, when you make cinnamon toast, after the butter, you shake on the cinnamon, then shake on the sugar. Then the sugar kind of crystallizes on the bread as it toasts, and it's so yummy. When the cinnamon and sugar are mixed ahead of time, that doesn't seem to happen, so...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Yes, but you see, when you make cinnamon toast, after the butter, you shake on the cinnamon, then shake on the sugar. Then the sugar kind of crystallizes on the bread as it toasts, and it's so yummy. When the cinnamon and sugar are mixed ahead of time, that doesn't seem to happen, so...

Oh now you've reminded me of the cinnamon toast debate in my house, years ago, probably when I first made it for the kids.

I toast the bread, butter it, sprinkle on the cin/sugar. 

So my husband was appalled! He butters the bread, sprinkles on the c/s, then toasts it.

NBD, he makes it his way, I make it mine. Not sure what method the kids ended up following. Probably mine simply because they saw me do it most often. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marbel said:

Oh now you've reminded me of the cinnamon toast debate in my house, years ago, probably when I first made it for the kids.

So my husband was appalled! He butters the bread, sprinkles on the c/s, then toasts it.

NBD, he makes it his way, I make it mine. Not sure what method the kids ended up following. Probably mine simply because they saw me do it most often. 

I butter, sprinkle and then broil. Who knows there were so many ways to make such a simple recipe. 😀

• Like 3

Grew up with it. We make our own & keep it in a cleaned out garlic container. Use it on oatmeal, malt-o-meal, coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, (German) "Fat" Pancakes, French Toast, cooked rice in milk, and many other things I'm likely forgetting. I don't think they even know cinnamon toast is a thing.

My kids would not have known cinnamon-sugar by that name growing up. Since we kept it in a garlic container, my oldest referred to it as jarlic to differentiate it from garlic. It stuck. Causes some raised eyebrows when the kids would ask for jarlic. ;)

My dh is from a family that first lightly toasts the bread, then adds the butter, cinnamon and sugar, and then broils it.  It really is great!  But it feels like way too much work to me.  😄   I just toast, add butter, cinnamon and sugar, and eat it.

• Like 1

DS eats it on tortillas: Microwave an almond flour tortilla with a pat of butter on it to melt the butter. Meanwhile, mix cinnamon with sugar. Spread the melted butter across the tortilla and use a spoon to sprinkle cinnamon-sugar, then roll it up to eat it. We're not big toast eaters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Toasting first is totally the CORRECT way to do it!  Once you put the stuff on it, how do you put it in the toaster?  You can't, then you have to use the oven, which requires a pan and that more work.  The whole point of cinnamon toast is that it's simple enough that the kids can get their own breakfast and using the oven kinda of defeats that point.  At least that's how it worked in my house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Toasting first is totally the CORRECT way to do it!  Once you put the stuff on it, how do you put it in the toaster?  You can't, then you have to use the oven, which requires a pan and that more work.  The whole point of cinnamon toast is that it's simple enough that the kids can get their own breakfast and using the oven kinda of defeats that point.  At least that's how it worked in my house.

Toaster oven.   😄

But, see, that explains it! I seriously never thought of that before! I grew up with a pop-up toaster; his family always used toaster ovens. Since we married we have been a toaster oven family. But I still do it my way.  

5 minutes ago, marbel said:

Toaster oven.   😄

But, see, that explains it! I seriously never thought of that before! I grew up with a pop-up toaster; his family always used toaster ovens. Since we married we have been a toaster oven family. But I still do it my way.  

That would explain it.  I only owned a toaster oven for about 3 months as adult and I found it such a ridiculous pain that I quickly donated it (it was a used one that someone gave us so I thought I'd give it a try but I had several kids by that point and I would have to do multiple batches and it was a pain to clean so the oven was 10X easier to deal with at that point). Nowadays, even though I know toaster ovens are a thing, they are not something that would ever occur to me to use without someone pointing it out.

• Like 2

I never had it as a kid, but dh grew up eating toast with butter and cinnamon sugar on it. It's not my thing, too sweet. My mil just asked if we have cinnamon sugar yesterday when I was making the shopping list. I told her we have cinnamon and sugar. I guess she forgot that they mixed it up themselves.😁 I know you can buy it pre-mixed, but who does that?

• Like 1

Butter the bread. Sprinkle sugar on. Sprinkle cinnamon on. Put in toaster oven (or oven if you're making a bunch of slices). Broil. This is how I grew up making it and how my children have learned to make it.

You "toast it first" people are crazy. 🤷‍♀️😄

I never saw the cinnamon and sugar mixed together thing until one of my kids asked for cinnamon for her applesauce at a restaurant and they brought out a cinnamon/sugar mixture. 

• Haha 1

Some of my best days as a kid were days I stayed home “sick” from school, and had soft scrambled eggs and cinnamon toast while watching All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital. I always missed the maximum days of school. I absolutely despised school (was pretty much bullied, as it would be called today). I had an awesome mom though, and she always “fell” for my stomach aches. 😜

• Like 1

I hate the smell and taste of cinnamon so the Thanksgiving and Christmas stretch at the grocers are really sensory overload. 

I don’t use salt either except for pickling so I only have pickling salt. 

The toasted bread I had growing up was just with butter and sometimes sugar. I won’t even take margarine so if butter is out, I just have plain toast.