Menu

Kindle fire case that is childproof and easy to clean/disinfect?

Dmmetler

In preparation for going back to limited lessons in person, one thing that has worked well online is to be able to look at music together on screen, where we can mark it up, etc, I can take a quick screen shot, and save it to a student's google classroom file.  (And many music publishers have made online versions available to teachers, either by purchasing the book for Kindle, as PDF, or via the web). Since I really don't want to be close enough to my students to do this on their copy (which is what we used to do until, oh, March),  I'm thinking I want a device for my student to be able to use in lessons so I can share files and we can look at them up close, but with me across the room (and this device could also be used as a camera so a parent can watch the lesson from outside the room if they wanted to zoom in, or as a second camera if I end up needing to teach a lesson virtually from the studio because someone at home is sick and a child can't come in). Based on features at the price point, a Kindle Fire seems the best bet. So, what is the best case that would stand up to Clorox wipes, and likely being dropped pretty often (I'm only taking elementary and preschool students in person, and most of the parents who are electing to come back have the 8 and under age group)?  Is it still Otterbox,or is there some other alternative? 

Amazon sells a Kids version of the Kindle Fire that comes with a really good case and a 'replace for any reason' warranty.    It is more expensive than the basic 7" Kindle Fire which is available for $39.99 at certain times, but we found it was worth it even with my kids being older.   We set them up with Google Play Store so you can do more with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-7-Kids-Edition-Tablet/dp/B07H8WS1FT/ref=sxin_7_ac_d_pm?ac_md=3-0-VW5kZXIgJDEwMA%3D%3D-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=kids+kindle+fire&dchild=1&keywords=kids+kindle+fire&pd_rd_i=B07H8WS1FT&pd_rd_r=5db0d167-8e00-4594-be1e-c9c696d3d415&pd_rd_w=TMNOA&pd_rd_wg=cMOm3&pf_rd_p=6fa2c4b2-cf77-4ff1-a22d-406e154f5c4b&pf_rd_r=1PE8S10176H022ZCZRDQ&psc=1&qid=1594951551&sr=1-1-22d05c05-1231-4126-b7c4-3e7a9c0027d0

I'm concerned about the parental controls making it hard to install and use things like Zoom. There are a few apps on my iPad that I use that might be nice to have, but since I can screen share via zoom and share controls, they may not need to run natively on the device. 

11 hours ago, dmmetler said:

I'm concerned about the parental controls making it hard to install and use things like Zoom. There are a few apps on my iPad that I use that might be nice to have, but since I can screen share via zoom and share controls, they may not need to run natively on the device. 

It's very easy to turn off the parental controls.    Most of what my kids do we can't have them on, or at least not on very strictly.  We've used them for things like Discord, Zoom, Google classroom, Instagram, and some art programs without a problem.