Menu

A petty question - if you use plastic kitchen garbage bags ....

SKL

Say someone took out the kitchen garbage and put in a fresh plastic bin liner / trash bag.  You just finished making tea and have several wet teabags to dispose of.  Would you throw them into the trash bin like that or do something else?

I have been trying unsuccessfully for years to convince certain people that plastic trash bags can leak if you put wet stuff in the bottom.

Apparently I must be imagining the times I've had to bend over and put half of my body into a smelly dirty trash container (to clean the bottom) after a kitchen garbage bag leaked.  And we won't even give lip service to the times the bag leaked or even broke all over the floor on the way out to the trash can.  Clearly I'm just being dramatic.

Re-educate me, friends.  What am I doing wrong?

12 minutes ago, SKL said:

Say someone took out the kitchen garbage and put in a fresh plastic bin liner / trash bag.  You just finished making tea and have several wet teabags to dispose of.  Would you throw them into the trash bin like that or do something else?

I have been trying unsuccessfully for years to convince certain people that plastic trash bags can leak if you put wet stuff in the bottom.

Apparently I must be imagining the times I've had to bend over and put half of my body into a smelly dirty trash container (to clean the bottom) after a kitchen garbage bag leaked.  And we won't even give lip service to the times the bag leaked or even broke all over the floor on the way out to the trash can.  Clearly I'm just being dramatic.

I wouldn't expect a few wet tea bags to make a plastic garbage bag leak. And I can honestly say we've never had a trash bag break all over the floor - a few times something has poked through and we put the entire bag into a second bag before putting it in the big trash can, but actually breaking and spilling trash all over the floor? Never. Nobody's tossing plastic cups full of liquid in there, but otherwise we don't  take any great care. And we have a trash compactor that we don't use special bags for 🤷‍♂️

My vote if for better garbage bags or taking out the trash more often!

Edited by katilac
  • Like 9

I had to laugh....mostly bc certain people in my house just leave them on saucers, in cups, etc so I don't have an experience with people actually throwing them away.

I have a "double system" going - I have a regular trash bag and then I have a grocery store bag bc I HATE leakage. And even then I don't throw wet stuff in a "new" bag. I save empty containers  and put a lot of wet garbage into them, then in a bag. It also prevents smells.

• Like 3

We use tea filters every morning, iced teabags regularly and occasionally tea bags.... all of which go in the trash can. My trash bags dont leak from that... 

But - I understand your frustration with giving specific instructions and having them disregarded! 

And we never "wring" or squeeze a tea bag - we dont like the bitter tannins that releases.  So they might be wetter than some. 

Edited by theelfqueen

We usually compost our tea bags but even then, they usually end up sitting on a saucer or elsewhere till they are dried out.  But if I was doing to throw one away, I would probably just wring it out a little bit.  We use the Costco kitchen bags and I don't have leakage problems unless someone puts large amounts of liquid in them.

Side rant, not really related: When I was janitor for a church, it drove me nuts that people would throw half-full cups of coffee or other drinks in the trash cans. I did often deal with leaking bags but they were large amounts of liquid, and often still hot (apparently) when being thrown out. The building was small and there was a kitchen with two sinks in the area where coffee and tea were served so it would have been easy to pour it down the drain.

I've never had trash bags that burst or leak.

If I moved, or was sharing space, and someone else was responsible for the garbage department, I'd try to comply, but it would be hard for me to change my perception of trash bags to "not waterproof" in my mind. Old habits might still happen. Especially tea bags. I don't consider those terribly wet, so it wouldn't strike me as a leak risk. (I could see a rule against actual liquids, like, "Don't pour gravy in there." as a precaution against leakage.)

On the other hand, I might advise this hypothetical other person to begin to buy trash bags that actually are waterproof. I can't imagine any kind of cost savings that would convince me it was worth it to occasionally deal with garbage soup leakage in my home! Eeew. 

have you looked into a different brand of bags?   we've never had ours leak or break and we have to go down stairs to reach where the outdoor trash is to dump it.  Dh insists on lining the plastic bag with a paper bag.  (it makes him happy.)  even if wet stuff gets dumped inside.   

at the very worst - we rinse it up and upend it to dry out.  maybe once or twice a year.  no smells or other grossness.

53 minutes ago, SKL said:

Our plastic kitchen trash bags don't leak so yes, we put wet things in it.

That's why we use plastic bags.

What kind of trash bag are you using that it leaks?

I buy the expensive "leak proof" trash bags, and they still leak if you put wet stuff in the bottom.  Not every time, but often enough that a little extra thought is worth it.

I am fine with putting damp stuff in the bag, as long as the very bottom stuff is dry.

I have advised and modeled wrapping up the tea bags in something that won't leak, or waiting until there is other stuff in the bag before dropping damp stuff in.  It's not that hard ... I mean, none of the "certain people" I deal with are neat-nicks.

I've had them put all sorts of wet stuff in the garbage, but at least they don't argue with me when I pull it out ... except if it's tea bags.  This morning they put 4 drippy tea bags in the otherwise empty bin.  I took the tea bags out, wrapped them up, and sopped up all the liquid in the bottom of the bag.  At least I caught it early this time.  But really ... I don't ask for much.  In exchange for my being the only person who ever deals with the garbage, I think "certain people" should comply with simple requests.  🙂

I guess maybe "certain people" would believe that leaks happen if I let them clean the next one up.  But then I would get all the excuses about how they are not physically fit enough to manage it, or the smell would make them vomit, or whatever.

(PS yes they have witnessed the leaks, but apparently they don't remember.)

If you’re the only one who deals with the garbage you get to make the rules.  
We use simple human bags and they never leak. Pricey, but I do not have the energy to clean up garbage messes. And nobody else would see the leaky mess, which just makes me even more irritated. 

• Like 1

We only take out the garbage about twice a week, so that could be a factor.  But I'm not going to waste a whole landfill of plastic just because some people insist on their right to throw liquids in the bottom of the garbage bag.

Seriously - there are only 2 things I ask "certain people" to do.  The second thing is to avoid leaving dishes in the left sink basin.  (The in-sink food disposal is in the left basin, and I like it to be clear so I don't have to move a pile of dirty dishes when I want to use it.)  They won't comply with that simple request either.  😛  Even if both basins are completely empty, their dishes go into the left basin.  Ugh....

• Confused 2

I toss coffee grounds in every morning, and that’s never been a problem.  What IS a problem is when certain people put jabby things in the bag and/or shove stuff real tight to try to avoid taking out the trash. Overfilling/stretching/sharp stuff is what causes any leaks we get.

But I do understand the whole “I ask for so very little, why can’t you just DO IT” principle.

• Like 2

I double line my garbage pail. It rarely ever has a bag leak, but if it does there’s the extra liner.  I also try to put potentially leaky items in something else also being thrown out—for example wrapped into a product exterior bag of one is available.

• Like 1

Just make the person who throws the tea bags in the bottom clean out the can and any mess on the floor. Either they deal with the natural consequences or they stop doing it, either way you don't have to bother.

I for one, would love for DH to start throwing his tea bags away so I stop finding them in the bottom of the sink when washing dishes.  But then we buy really good bags, I rarely have leakage even when someone forgot to take out the raw chicken cartons the night before.

Oh, we'd just throw them in. I have a young adult that drinks oh so many cups of tea per day and we've not had leaking issues in my memory.   We just toss wet coffee grounds in there too.   If your bags are regularly leaking, I'd look at your bags.   If  people are overstuffing or putting pointy boxes or something in there, I would address that.  We tend to have MUCH less garbage than recycling on a weekly basis here.

We never have leaks from that type of thing.  I am the only one who drinks tea in my family, and I have never had to worry about it.  I suppose if the tea bag was very hot from boiling water then perhaps it melts a hole in the bag is all I can think of.

We'd throw them in (if we put them in the trash. We compost.)

In your case, though, the person who always deals with the trash gets to say how it's done. I'd live with it and live with it, cleaning it up time after time, until one day I've had enough. I would then prohibit the use of the trash can by anyone who refuses to follow my rules. If they can't respect my wishes on this small matter, then they can take care of their own refuse.

But I'm mean like that.

1 hour ago, SereneHome said:

I had to laugh....mostly bc certain people in my house just leave them on saucers, in cups, etc so I don't have an experience with people actually throwing them away.

I have a "double system" going - I have a regular trash bag and then I have a grocery store bag bc I HATE leakage. And even then I don't throw wet stuff in a "new" bag. I save empty containers  and put a lot of wet garbage into them, then in a bag. It also prevents smells.

Guilty...my family gets annoyed because I perch them on the divider n the kitchen sink, because I think that is the best place for them to dry out a bit. 

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Well I will agree that sometimes trash bags leak but not often enough that it would ever prevent me from throwing wet tea bags or anything else with extra moisture in them directly in the bag.  And I've certainly never had a bag break open.  Perhaps you need to invest in better trash bags.  But I do sympathasize with your frustration of wanting people to do things differently.  I simply want my kids to tie the bag shut when they take it out to the can and I haven't been successful in remediating their ways either.

2 hours ago, SKL said:

I compost my tea bags, but if your bags are breaking from tea bags, you need to buy better bags or take out your trash sooner. 

41 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

In terms of drying out tea bags, I have one of these

Yeah, I would just get a cute little something to set on the counter and they could put tea bags on that. Something like what HSL linked, no lid, it needs to be just as easy or easier than tossing in trash can. 

But I still don't understand why your bags would be leaking so often, lol. 

2 hours ago, SKL said:

We only take out the garbage about twice a week, so that could be a factor.  But I'm not going to waste a whole landfill of plastic just because some people insist on their right to throw liquids in the bottom of the garbage bag.

Not taking it out often enough can definitely be a factor, but the actual cause would be the bag being too full, not a bit of liquid being at the bottom. If you have a plastic bag that doesn't leak, then it doesn't leak - it could be wet on the bottom inside for two weeks and it's not going to start leaking or breaking without another cause (like being too full, items being shoved down and thus ripping a hole, etc). It's not like wet tea bags are eating through the plastic.  

If you are using high quality bags (and I would try a different brand just to see), then the problem is too much garbage in the bag, and the only solution is to take it out more often or get a bigger trash can. If you take it out more often, you will be using a few more bags, but you are already using extra bags whenever the one in use leaks or breaks, right? And using cleaning supplies to clean the floor and the trash can? So it evens out, and leaves you without the work or aggravation. 

9 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Ok, I find it weird that 4 drippy tea bags in the bottom of an otherwise empty trash can would leak enough that you have to sop up all the liquid.

If your trash bags are that leaky, I would think that your expensive "leak proof" bags are just not living up to their hype.  I would look at changing bags.

And, another option, when you put a new bag in, just grab a bunch of news paper or scrap paper or whatever and toss that in the bottom automatically.  That would provide enough material to absorb the stray liquids (presuming we are only talking about drippy tea bags, and things of similar wetness levels....not like half a can of coke lol.)

I mean, yes, it should not be that hard to just leave the tea bag on a saucer until the can has stuff in it.  But, simply putting some trash in yourself first would solve the original problem without much conflict, right?

The new bag goes in right after I take out the trash.  So all the trash is out, right?

I guess I could make a plan to always have some material to line the bottom with, but IMO it makes more sense for the teabag users to handle teabag disposal considerately.  (We are talking about adults.)

OK I should have probably noted that the "certain people" have caused leaks with many other things - for example a melon that they failed to cut and then threw it in the trash after it started leaking rotten melon juice.  Couldn't be bothered to wrap it in plastic grocery bags first.  SKL comes along to do garbage duty and surprise!  So things like that have made me a bit militant about wet stuff in the garbage.  😛

We usually don't have a lot of kitchen garbage.  We have a separate bin for recyclables and a grinder in the sink for food, so that's why it takes a while for our kitchen garbage bin to fill up.

Well anyway ... I said it was a petty complaint.  I just don't understand why people can't learn to make small changes like that to help another person.  I am very sensitive to things like that; I feel so badly if anyone feels inconvenienced because of a choice I made, I would try very hard not to make that mistake again.

Keep a small plastic container on the counter for tea bags. Ask the tea drinkers to put the tea bags in them. In my house, I use a deli container for this. I compost them when I collect enough-if you don’t compost, at least they will dry out in the container and you can either trash it or spread them on your lawn. I use Glad bags and they will leak and make a puddle if I put watermelon rinds or some such watery things in the bottom. They are supposed to be leak free, but, I have the same experience as you.

Edited by mathnerd

We toss them in the garbage. If we ever had a leak, it's not teabags that were the cause. Since we started buying SimpleHuman garbage bags we never have breaks or leaks. What irritates me is when people (my MIL) leave teabags in their mug and put it in the sink. First of all, over-steeped tea is gross, second of all I hate having to fish it out of the sink.😠

I would just throw them in. I haven't had a trash bag leak unless it gets torn.

ETA: We use Glad trashbags, occasionally Hefty. Store brands tear easily, so we stopped using them years ago.

Edited by TechWife

You really shouldn’t have to prepare your trash beforehand. The extra drying and wrapping does seem over the top to me. 

i took out a bag of trash today that was so full the cinchy-handle thingy started to tear. It still didn’t leak, but I thought of this thread. 🤣