Menu

A plug for CLEP tests

CLEP tests, run by the College Board, are not nearly as well known as AP exams. But at some public and private universities, passing one or more CLEP tests can get you college credit. I forget now where I first read about CLEP tests a few years ago, but my now freshman in college has 43 college credits (30 credits from CLEP; 13 from DE). All the credits were accepted by her college. Some colleges / universities don't accept many CLEP credits while others accept a lot. Sometimes if you ask the admissions department they will tell you they accept a CLEP test (passing score) in place of an SAT subject test that is sometimes required for homeschool applicants. Last year when she was applying to colleges, we had CB send her CLEP transcript to a few colleges like you would the SAT subject test score. Right now, because of the pandemic, some testing centers are not open, and those that are open have limited availability. But usually, getting an appointment for a CLEP test is easy. Hope this helps someone!

• Like 5

Some possibly stupid questions:

How do you evaluate if a child is capable of taking/if it is worth it to take a CLEP test? Do you look at study skills, maturity, testing ability? I have heard of people taking these early on in high school but I have a hard time picturing my rising 9th grader taking one because I don't know what they are like. 

Did you use CLEP test prep materials for each? Is there a certain publisher for those that is preferred, or did you mix it up, etc.?

• Like 1

My DS used CLEP extensively, but not til he was already accepted at the college of his choice. He is a CS major and wanted to get out of having to take any humanities at all at uni - and he almost did it! He CLEP'd out of all semester's of Spanish, US History, Management, and maybe a couple others I think and only had to take 1 non-math/science/CS related course 🤣

I seem to remember reading something on here somewhere that too many CLEP credits might make them consider you a transfer student instead of a freshman and thus not eligible for scholarships if you take them before admission. Or something along those lines. So yes, CLEP is great, but I'd be careful to find out exactly how the colleges you're looking at will handle them.

He researched and prepped on his own so I have no idea what he used.

• Like 5

Be sure to check around to find out the policies of testing centers in your area.  There are three colleges in our area listed as testing centers on the College Board website, but two only test students already enrolled in those colleges.  One will test anyone, but there's an extra test administration fee from the college if you aren't an enrolled student, in addition to the CLEP fee.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cintinative said:

How do you evaluate if a child is capable of taking/if it is worth it to take a CLEP test? Do you look at study skills, maturity, testing ability? I have heard of people taking these early on in high school but I have a hard time picturing my rising 9th grader taking one because I don't know what they are like. 

Did you use CLEP test prep materials for each? Is there a certain publisher for those that is preferred, or did you mix it up, etc.?

You might be able to get the practice book (they call it a study guide but it is just practice exams) for CLEP  at your local library. See how your child does for free to give you a better idea.

They pretty much are just multiple choice so that makes it pretty easy.

• Like 1

Also, check out Modern States, for free CLEP test prep, and vouchers to repay for test costs. (That also might help in deciding if ready to test -- how is the student doing with the Modern States materials.)

Yes -- definitely check the policies of the future university. Many have policies where they only accept a maximum number of credits coming from Dual Enrollment AND credit by exam (total of all AP AND CLEP tests). Going beyond that maximum bumps the student into transfer student status and out of freshman eligibility (where the highest scholarship awards, and the most amount of scholarships are awarded). There are transfer student scholarships, but there are far fewer, and they are usually for lower amounts, and they are most often one-time awards (while many freshman scholarships are renewable -- so good for 4 years, as long as the student maintains the requirements).

Also check the specific future university for which *specific* CLEPs they accept *towards the degree* -- if the CLEP test doesn't match up with the university's specific course for the degree program, then the credit awarded is an "elective" credit, which does not count towards the degree.

See past threads on CLEP tests linked on PAGE 2 of the "High School Motherlode #1" thread, pinned at the top of the High School Board. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, cintinative said:

Those are definitely not stupid questions! My oldest didn’t take a CLEP test until the summer after she completed her sophomore year in high school. She could have done one at the end of her 9th grade year; she knew the U.S. Government material having taken that class at home, and could have passed the American Government CLEP test, but I didn’t know about CLEP at that point. Really, if a student is a good test taker and wants to take a CLEP test, I would go for it. However, make sure the colleges your student is thinking about attending will accept the CLEP credit. The Literature CLEP isn’t accepted at the colleges my oldest applied to, and she didn’t take that one, but there are two different Composition CLEP tests, and the one that the public universities accepted that she applied to was called College Composition With Essay (not the Modular one). 

As far as CLEP test prep materials, I got the REA test prep book for each subject my DD took and depending on the subject got other materials or whatever she used for homeschool for that subject was enough with the REA book. I’ll look back at what she used and post.

Before she took the first CLEP test, all I had was her results from the CAT standardized test which she had taken annually for years, and those results were always pretty good. I knew from her study habits that she was a good test taker, so that played a role in my decision to have her take CLEP tests (...multiple choice for CLEP except for Composition one which is multiple choice and 2 timed essays). There is an initial test in the REA books which is an assessment of weaknesses and strengths in the subject; she would do that after studying. A couple months before the CLEP test appointment she would take the practice test in the REA book and see from her score what she needed to review. The only REA practice tests that don’t seem very accurate are the CLEP math tests and the Spanish one. The others, if you scored a 60 or above on the REA practice test you were pretty safe to pass (you need a 50 to pass unless the college mandates a higher score for that CLEP test).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have one question/concern about the CLEP: How do you use it to calculate a final grade? In the past I've had my kids/students take the CLEP following a very rigorous, full course as a final exam. I use their score just as I would a final exam so if they score 75-78 they have earned an A on the "final"; a score of 70 would be a B+, etc. But I heard of others who give their kid an A just for passing even if it's barely squeaking in at the cutoff mark and they give their student an Honors designation for whatever class the CLEP was for. On transcripts I only see an indication of CLEP taken, no scores (because not many parents want to indicate a score of 51, for example) whereas SAT/ACT/AP I see scores included.

I really like the CLEP for basic classes (non-major classes, in other words). But I am baffled at how a student would earn an automatic A and Honors by barely passing a CLEP (which isn't nearly as challenging an exam, imo, as the others).

Musing more on this lately as friends are talking about transcripts and how their kids are graduating with Honors...these are kids I had in my class...they're not Honors students by a long shot and barely passed their CLEP exam. Then I have the students who knocked the CLEP out of the ballpark and did amazing work in class who are getting the same A/Honors awarded.

Maybe it doesn't matter in the end, really.

But yes, the CLEP is a fantastic option for earning college credit and Modern States has made it an even sweeter deal...if the testing center here would just open!! I can get my daughter a tattoo but can't sign her up for a test. Makes sense.

36 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

I have one question/concern about the CLEP: How do you use it to calculate a final grade? In the past I've had my kids/students take the CLEP following a very rigorous, full course as a final exam. I use their score just as I would a final exam so if they score 75-78 they have earned an A on the "final"; a score of 70 would be a B+, etc. But I heard of others who give their kid an A just for passing even if it's barely squeaking in at the cutoff mark and they give their student an Honors designation for whatever class the CLEP was for. On transcripts I only see an indication of CLEP taken, no scores (because not many parents want to indicate a score of 51, for example) whereas SAT/ACT/AP I see scores included.

I really like the CLEP for basic classes (non-major classes, in other words). But I am baffled at how a student would earn an automatic A and Honors by barely passing a CLEP (which isn't nearly as challenging an exam, imo, as the others).

Musing more on this lately as friends are talking about transcripts and how their kids are graduating with Honors...these are kids I had in my class...they're not Honors students by a long shot and barely passed their CLEP exam. Then I have the students who knocked the CLEP out of the ballpark and did amazing work in class who are getting the same A/Honors awarded.

But yes, the CLEP is a fantastic option for earning college credit and Modern States has made it an even sweeter deal...if the testing center here would just open!! I can get my daughter a tattoo but can't sign her up for a test. Makes sense.

I don't think CLEP has scores any more.  It's computer based so if you do well (or very badly), it's a very short test.  Score enough to pass or fail and the exam is over.  You could go by your own criteria, and post the passing score on the transcript as additional proof. 

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I don't think CLEP has scores any more.  It's computer based so if you do well (or very badly), it's a very short test.  Score enough to pass or fail and the exam is over.  You could go by your own criteria, and post the passing score on the transcript as additional proof. 

CLEPs definitely have scores, it's not a pass/fail test. There are a set number of questions and a time limit, even essay questions on a couple of them.

3 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

My children haven’t taken any CLEP yet, but I look at it similarly to AP tests.  I think it is worthwhile to take the test if you have studied the material, but AP classes don’t factor the test into the grade because it comes after school is out for the year.  I guess it could verify your grade, but the designation as the class as honors or not really shouldn’t be tied to passing the test.  Same with grading...I don’t think it is really fair to the student to base a grade on a final that you as the teacher didn’t create.  Even if you outsource a class you wouldn’t test your student on content you didn’t actually cover in class. 

• Like 1

@BakersDozenYour acquaintances probably took their cues from Lee Binz. She advocates for giving kids honors designations for passing CLEP exams.

I wouldn't give a final grade based on a CLEP exam. I wouldn't designate a course honors just because my kid passed the CLEP. I also don't necessarily care what others put on their transcripts for their kids as long as it doesn't hurt my kids.plenty of trade inflation to go around. It'll all get sorted out eventually, I figure. Hopefully.

• Like 3

A lot of universities and colleges accept any pass on a CLEP for credit meanwhile only accepting certain scores on AP exams (only a 4 or 5). CLEP is designed for adults who are testing existing knowledge not as part of a course, so it is treated differently. (AP is only available to high school students CLEP/DSST exams are available to all comers) 

Generally in public schools your grade for the AP Course is for the Course, and does not include the Exam as a graded element. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I wouldnt factor a CLEP exam in as a final grade (but, hey, I don't even give my kids exams in most subjects, so there is that.....and I still give them honors designations for courses that are taught at an advanced level) but I also dont follow the argument against an honors designation for a passing score.  CLEPs are supposed to represent collegel equivalency.  If a student passes a college level equivalency even at a supposed "C" level (and I disagree with that, too, since some CLEPs include some odd content compared to a high school course), why would it not be an honors course which is not claiming to be a college level class (like APs do)?

• Like 3

My ds, who did not take any AP classes, started college with a semester's worth of college credit because of CLEP testing. My dd has taken CLEP tests in macro and microeconomics this summer and received credit at the college she will be attending. 

I wasn't aware of the Modern States vouchers, but even without those, CLEP credit is far cheaper than even a class at the community college by us. $80 for a CLEP test vs $500+ for a cc class.

You can also sometimes get permission from the college to take a CLEP test over the summer. My ds is entering his junior year and got permission to CLEP out of sociology this summer.

Most of my ds's CLEP tests were taken at the end of a class in classes he was strong in. So, he took Government and American history at a local coop and then studied and took the CLEP. We used the online REA practice tests and the Peterson's practice tests . We used the ACDC econ videos and practice packet for the econ classes. 

Edited by Mom0012

My oldest did a couple of CLEP's as well as lots of dual enrollment. On her weighted GPA, I counted CLEP tests passed (she did a full class before taking the test, not just a test - that was her grade) on a scale of 4.5 and the dual enrollment on a scale of 5. I don't usually do tests in my classes, so it was nice to see that testing wasn't a problem for her. She did US History (we used the FundaFunda class for it), Sociology (I just had a random college text that I picked up somewhere), and Government (it's a hobby for her, but she used a college text, icivics, and something else I'm not remembering).  We didn't use AP as I had a hard time finding a school that would allow her to sit for the tests.

We did not use the Modern States as I was unaware of them prior to her taking the tests. I just got the books from the library for test prep. When she could get about 70% on the practice tests, I scheduled the official test. The tests aren't very expensive though, definitely cheaper than dual enrollment for us as we are full-pay in my state. 

My next child wants to do some CLEP tests as she has some physical heath issues that may make actual in person classes difficult. Also, she' loves a good test LOL! So we may use Modern States for her.