Menu

Using a shared work space?

Laura Corin

I'm moving house and won't have internet or phone data access for days, possibly weeks (long story). My employer is making available socially distanced work spaces in a large open area of an air-conditioned building. I can book my space for the whole day, clean when I arrive, bring in my own laptop and wear an N95.  Would you do it?

The alternative is to park next to the office and work in the car, using WiFi spill. I don't think I can avoid shared toilets in either case. Scotland is getting under twenty new cases per day, for a population of 5.5 million.

10 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

How many people will possibly be in the large open area? 

Sitting in the car with a laptop  for more than an hour seems pretty uncomfortable, though my son did it for 5 or 6 hours a day for several weeks.

I won't know the set up until I get there, but I can walk out if it looks sketchy.

That's pretty much how it is at my work place. We've been doing this since the closures in Mid-March. In the last few weeks, temperature checks were required. We have hand sanitizers distributed  throughout the building for staff and encourage hand washings through out the day. Masks are required in all common areas and hallways. Since we're closed to the public, all  doors to staff-only areas are propped open so we don't have to touch multiple surfaces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm moving house and won't have internet or phone data access for days, possibly weeks (long story). My employer is making available socially distanced work spaces in a large open area of an air-conditioned building. I can book my space for the whole day, clean when I arrive, bring in my own laptop and wear an N95.  Would you do it?

The alternative is to park next to the office and work in the car, using WiFi spill. I don't think I can avoid shared toilets in either case. Scotland is getting under twenty new cases per day, for a population of 5.5 million.

Yes. We have way more cases and I've been working in our air conditioned office since June with no averse impact as of yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Not if I had to clean it upon arrival.  What if someone who was a carrier was there right before you?  It’s a bad scenario re. Viral load.  If they have professional cleaning in between, then yes.

Yes, they have professional cleaning between. I would wipe surfaces in addition. 

This is a risk I would take in Scotland. Your country has done the hard work of being in a decent situation numbers-wise. I would even wear my homemade mask instead of an N95. If there's any way some of the work doesn't need an internet connection, I would love to do shorter days in this setting and finish my work at home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

This is a risk I would take in Scotland. Your country has done the hard work of being in a decent situation numbers-wise. I would even wear my homemade mask instead of an N95. If there's any way some of the work doesn't need an internet connection, I would love to do shorter days in this setting and finish my work at home.

Unfortunately this is a busy time with dissertation submission, so it's all online.