Menu

Who here has birds?

Ausmumof3

I grew up with a parakeet--who ended up living 11 years (and through 2-3 surgeries, if you can believe it).  My college roommate and then housemate for three years had a cockatiel.  Not that I'm obsessed with bird lifespans or anything, but the thing ended up living for 20 years, much to the dismay of her husband.  Let's just say that I don't recommend cockatiels for anyone who values peace and quiet.

• Like 1

We have a cockatiel. I got it for my girls. It is ten years old, and it doesn't look like either of my dds will be taking it with them (one dd is in college and the other has graduated and is living with another family, so does not have her own living space). Not to mention, both dds are really wanting cats, which I don't think will mesh well with having a bird. As mentioned above, the cockatiel lifespan is 20 years or so...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EKS said:

I grew up with a parakeet--who ended up living 11 years (and through 2-3 surgeries, if you can believe it).  My college roommate and then housemate for three years had a cockatiel.  Not that I'm obsessed with bird lifespans or anything, but the thing ended up living for 20 years, much to the dismay of her husband.  Let's just say that I don't recommend cockatiels for anyone who values peace and quiet.

Our cockatiel died about a year ago.  We don’t know how old she was as she was an adult when we had here but she’d been showing her age for a while.  She was a love.  

34 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So cool!  They are meant to be super smart aren’t they?

He was so smart.  Could learn new words after hearing them once.......”help me”was very unfortunate.  Drove my husband nuts because the bird screamed it in my voice.  His vocabulary was about 50 words and he could create new sentences with those words......the sentences were not always grammatical but certainly expressed his opinion!  Old Mic got a Bird was his favorite song with lots of EeeeeeeIIIIIIIIIIIOoooooooo’s. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

He was so smart.  Could learn new words after hearing them once.......”help me”was very unfortunate.  Drove my husband nuts because the bird screamed it in my voice.  His vocabulary was about 50 words and he could create new sentences with those words......the sentences were not always grammatical but certainly expressed his opinion!  Old Mic got a Bird was his favorite song with lots of EeeeeeeIIIIIIIIIIIOoooooooo’s. 

That sounds so fun!  

• Like 1

my oldest daughter just bought a caique. He is not weaned yet and can't leave the aviary so she comes to stay at our house snd visit him every weekend.  She can take him  home the first weekend in August and the after that they will both spend one weekend a month with us.  

IMG_5266.jpeg

• Like 4

I had a cockteil growing up.  I loved her ♥️. We got her when I was about 7 or 8 as I was allergic to cats/dogs.  She died the morning after I got engaged (I was away at college in another state). So we didn't have her 20 years, only about 13.   She was hand trained and so sweet. She loved to ride on my shoulder and sit on the towel bar in the shower with me and get sprinkled.  She was such a lovely pet.    

I don't remember her being noisy though.  We covered her cage at night but during the day I just remember it being a big deal.  Man she was a great bird 😭

She figured out how to lift the slides where her food trays went and one day flew into the dining room and landed in the bowl of spaghetti! We were so confused as we knew her cage was closed.  We had to hide around the corner to see how she did it. She as so social she just wanted to be where we were.  After we saw we used twist ties on feed doors and just opened the big door when it was fine for her to be out.  

I have chickens now and they are fun but I would take an indoor bird like that again any day.  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I love big birds, but I just don't feel like I could adopt a pet that I would have to hand down to children and grandchildren.  I am entranced with bird intelligence and I think it would be fascinating though.

Lol in my case it’s my daughter that’s keen so it’s not a big deal.  Although there might be a custody dispute over it between my younger two!

• Haha 1

We currently have a cockatiel officially named Kanye but most often called Bordeaux. He is the most social and relationally needy bird I’ve ever met and is much adored.  My DH LOVES birds and now my children do too...I love them but they are so messy that it detracts a smidge from the glow.

We has an African Grey (Gandolph) for a few years and another cockatiel (Lokita) before that. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Lol in my case it’s my daughter that’s keen so it’s not a big deal.  Although there might be a custody dispute over it between my younger two!

Sort of off topic slightly.........I have always wanted a cockatoo......a rose breasted one to be exact. 😉 I know you (Australians) consider them pests.......is it legal to keep them as pets there? 

https://www.petguide.com/breeds/bird/rose-breasted-cockatoo/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Sort of off topic slightly.........I have always wanted a cockatoo......a rose breasted one to be exact. 😉 I know you (Australians) consider them pests.......is it legal to keep them as pets there? 

https://www.petguide.com/breeds/bird/rose-breasted-cockatoo/

We call them galahs and yes lots have them for pets.  My sis used to have one although he eventually got out and didn’t come back.  He used to rollover and play dead and talk quite a bit.  One day someone broke in to their house and he scared them off by calling out “whaddya want?”  They can be a problem to farmers because modern agriculture suits them and they breed up but they’re not really a problem where we are.  

• Like 1