Menu

What is nutritional yeast and how do you use it ?

In my quest to increase our immunity through food, I am doing some research and I repeatedly come across nutritional yeast.

So my questions are 

1. Can you cook with it ? 

2. Is it a supplement and if so how much should you take for adults and kids ?

Background: We eat a lot of vegetables, pretty much the rainbow, everything cooked now due to COVID but many raw before. We eat chicken, goat, seafood, eggs as protein along with large quantities of pulses and beans in a mostly Asian Indian diet. 

Thanks ! 

Yes, you cook with it. It is a staple of many whole food plant based recipes (and commonly referred to as "nooch" 🙂).

It's got an unusual taste that I didn't like at first, but it's grown on me and I love it now and use it several times a week in recipes.

Not sure about people taking it as a supplement - I haven't heard of it being used that way.

• Thanks 1

When ds was having trouble with dairy when he was younger, nutritional yeast was often an ingredient used to make faux cheese items. It doesn't quite taste like cheese, at least not to us, but it does have an interesting flavor in its own right. Google "dairy-free cheese recipes" and you will find a lot of ways to use nutritional yeast. Cheese sauce, mac n cheese, dairy free  homemade spaghetti-o's, or just sprinkling it on popcorn, veggies, or meat when you are cooking.

• Thanks 1

Like Matryoshka, I use it on popcorn., several times a week. I love it.

Sometimes I sprinkle some over cooked vegetables.  Today I made a beautiful kale salad with almonds and herbs, and sprinkled some on that. It just adds a little something. Close to cheese, as has been said, but not quite.  

Here is a little article about it, not super informative, but  makes me want to go eat some on something right now:  https://www.bonappetit.com/story/bragg-nutritional-yeast-seasoning

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just love it on popcorn. As mentioned it is also used as a cheese substitute although I've not tried it for that in ages as I remember being disappointed before maybe I'd enjoy some of the recipes now. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, you cook with it. Most brands taste vaguely "cheesy", and you can use it where you'd use cheese as an accompaniment - on salads, on pasta, on chili, on potatoes, on popcorn, on eggs. Some brands taste more "yeasty" - I like to use a brand like that in my chili recipe, I find it adds a lot of depth.

• Thanks 1

I sprinkle it on salads, veggies, grain bowls, chili, popcorn, etc. It has a pleasant (to me) cheesy taste, and adds some extra protein since I don't eat meat. I've never actually cooked with it though — I'd be interested to hear what kind of recipes people are using it in, other than vegan cheese sauce.

• Thanks 1

You can throw it in a smoothie.  I also put a tsp give or take into a cup of whole wheat flour when baking.  Depending on what I am making I might do a little almond flour and flax as well and then fill up the cup.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sprinkle it on fried eggs before I flip them. And I put it on popcorn.  Never thought about using it on cooked veggies but that sounds good and I'm going to try it.

• Thanks 1

Dd sprinkles it on everything! 

I prefer vegan Mac and cheese made with nutritional yeast to dairy Mac and cheese!

@TrixieB 

Iirc, Bragg's has larger, "flakier" flakes but taste is the same.  Haven't had Bragg's in a while though.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Braggs is my least favorite for taste. I like Thompson the best, followed by Red Star.

Thompson Nutritional Yeast

I had no idea there were so many brands!  Next time I go to the store I'll see if the bulk bins are still labeled (no bulk sales here due to covid) to try to figure out what brand I've been buying all these years. 

ETA: I know the bins have had small flake and large flake.  I've always bought the large flake.

Edited by TrixieB

We eat a whole foods plant based diet so use nutritional yeast in cashew based sauces to make "cheese" sauces, make vegan "parmesan cheese" with it (and some raw cashews, a bit of salt and garlic powder), sprinkle it on popcorn, or use it on anything we want to taste cheesy.

After trying various brands, the best we've found (also certified gluten free) is Anthony's Nutritional Yeast Flakes. Tastes the "cheesiest" to us.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Donna said:

We eat a whole foods plant based diet so use nutritional yeast in cashew based sauces to make "cheese" sauces, make vegan "parmesan cheese" with it (and some raw cashews, a bit of salt and garlic powder), sprinkle it on popcorn, or use it on anything we want to taste cheesy.

After trying various brands, the best we've found (also certified gluten free) is Anthony's Nutritional Yeast Flakes. Tastes the "cheesiest" to us.

I have this brand now and it is great.

I also used it on some broccoli the other day too as a pp mentioned.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Thank you so much !! I will try using it in Indian recipes and let you know how it turned out. 

Let us know how it works. I've had some nutritional yeast in my pantry for a while and haven't used it much. I tried it on fried eggs, but it was a little over-powering. It might take a little experimenting to get the quantity right, or maybe one has to gradually get used to the taste.