Menu

I feel like a hypochondriac

maize

I'll probably be getting a covid test in the morning for the second time in less than two weeks. I hate how every random symptom feels like a potentially big deal this year.

I have a weird combination of hypersensitive skin on my back and right arm and a chicken-pox-like rash in my armpit. Google says it could be shingles, which wouldn't be surprising. I've also got a gassy belly, a weird feeling in my mouth (hard to describe) and slight congestion and headache but I often have those because of allergies. Also a very occasional cough but that too isn't uncommon with allergies.

I hate having to worry that every little thing could be a big thing. 

• Sad 10

Is this something a pulse oximeter could reasonably arbitrate? That's what I've done with some people recently, asking them to take their oxygen levels and suggesting that if they continued to be fine it was probably something else. I'm not certain that's a foolproof strategy, but I thought that's how it's supposed to be.

• Like 3

Do all Covid patients have reduced oxygen levels?  I don't recall that being the case.  I thought lower levels were a sign that they should seek medical attention right away,  but that unless that happened they could quarantine at home.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Do all Covid patients have reduced oxygen levels?  I don't recall that being the case.  I thought lower levels were a sign that they should seek medical attention right away,  but that unless that happened they could quarantine at home.  

Right, all good levels mean is that you can probably continue to recuperate at home if you do have Covid, it doesn't translate into not having Covid.

I do think it can be a handy thing to have to self-monitor if you've been tested and are recuperating at home, but it's definitely not a substitute for being tested. 

Maize, just remember to bring your punch card, 5th test is free 😆

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Is this something a pulse oximeter could reasonably arbitrate? That's what I've done with some people recently, asking them to take their oxygen levels and suggesting that if they continued to be fine it was probably something else. I'm not certain that's a foolproof strategy, but I thought that's how it's supposed to be.

Some (a lot) of people with covid only have mild symptoms--even no symptoms! And certainly not everyone has reduced oxygen saturation levels.

I need to know because if anyone in my household has it we could all have it and we need to stay home and not spread it. My husband and daughter both work away from home.

I'm not super stressed over mild symptoms in myself (though I would certainly rather my family doesn't get this) but I really don't want to spread covid.

• Like 1

I played that game this week too.  I hate it.   Ive also thought about getting tested just to be sure, but it takes so long for the results.

My brother-in-law was tested nearly 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't gotten his results back in.  The only reason we have confirmation it was covid is because he landed in the hospital and had the quick test.  It certainly doesn't help us make decisions in the short term when one doesn't have a clear case of covid.

Just now, PrincessMommy said:

I played that game this week too.  I hate it.   Ive also thought about getting tested just to be sure, but it takes so long for the results.

My brother-in-law was tested nearly 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't gotten his results back in.  The only reason we have confirmation it was covid is because he landed in the hospital and had the quick test.  It certainly doesn't help us make decisions in the short term when one doesn't have a clear case of covid.

My state has been pretty good with testing. We've had three tests in my household so far since April, the first two came back within 24 hours, the third took a little over 48 hours. My neighbor's kid was tested this week and results took four days--result times are evidently increasing as cases and testing are surging, and I suspect they prioritize notifying people with positive results.

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

That's a huge problem with the results lag, for infection control -- the sooner the tests come back, the sooner someone quarantines! A week is just unacceptable. 

It really is a problem.

People are encouraged to quarantine while waiting for results but not everyone will and not everyone can--mist people can't do their jobs from home and how many people could take two weeks off of work everytime they or a family member have a runny nose, just in case? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That's weird. This WP article seems to be saying that going into the ER thinking coronavirus with normal O2 results in unnecessary trips and exposure. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/turns-out-i-wasnt-dying-of-covid-19-after-all-i-was-using-my-pulse-oximeter-the-wrong-way/2020/06/26/fd70c01a-ac00-11ea-9063-e69bd6520940_story.html

The recommendations for getting tested and for going to the ER are different. I have no plan to go to the ER.

We have drive-through or parking lot testing, you stay in your car the whole time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, maize said:

My state has been pretty good with testing. We've had three tests in my household so far since April, the first two came back within 24 hours, the third took a little over 48 hours. My neighbor's kid was tested this week and results took four days--result times are evidently increasing as cases and testing are surging, and I suspect they prioritize notifying people with positive results.

yes, they do... but my BIL was positive so we don't know why the delay.  Not that it matters for him now.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maize said:

The recommendations for getting tested and for going to the ER are different. I have no plan to go to the ER.

We have drive-through or parking lot testing, you stay in your car the whole time.

If you call your doctor's office, it may have quicker results. In our area drive up testing results take 5 days, but tests through medical providers have results in 24 hours. 

• Like 1

So I did a telehealth consult this morning and the doctor thinks it is shingles. Symptoms are consistent and he prescribed an antiviral for it.

Would you still do covid testing just in case? I feel pretty confident in the shingles diagnosis. I'm thinking maybe we don't need to test for covid unless someone else in the family starts having symptoms.

4 minutes ago, maize said:

So I did a telehealth consult this morning and the doctor thinks it is shingles. Symptoms are consistent and he prescribed an antiviral for it.

Would you still do covid testing just in case? I feel pretty confident in the shingles diagnosis. I'm thinking maybe we don't need to test for covid unless someone else in the family starts having symptoms.

I think it's okay to trust the doctor. But I know how nerve wracking this can be. I have what I think is a cold myself, but I am thinking of getting tested. In our case, the pressing concern is DD18's graduation, which is this week. I've been hoping my symptoms clear up, but I tend to be a cougher and take a long time to appear healthy again, even with a mild sickness. I keep waffling. They say it takes 2-3 business days to get the results back, but I don't know how accurate that is.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, maize said:

I think it’s ok to assume shingles. Shingles symptoms are distinct and very different than Covid, so if the Dr dxed shingles, I think you can trust that. 

I’m sorry about the shingles! I know a few people that were just diagnosed. Not sure if it’s the General age group of my friends or the extra stress that we’re all under! Probably both. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I have what I think is a cold myself, but I am thinking of getting tested.

Now see me, I wouldn't hesitate to call the doctor and ask if you should be tested. Unless you're of a persuasian not to participate in contact tracing, then I could see. But to me that's so obviously overlapping that it seems very obvious to want the test. Summer is a weird time to have a cold anyway, and a "cold" is an upper respiratory thing. 

Edited by PeterPan

2 hours ago, maize said:

And certainly not everyone has reduced oxygen saturation levels.

I just haven't see that in print. I don't know if it's an assumption (a range of anything exists) or if the doc in that article meant even with covid don't go to the ER if your oxygen is normal or what.

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

That's weird. This WP article seems to be saying that going into the ER thinking coronavirus with normal O2 results in unnecessary trips and exposure. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/turns-out-i-wasnt-dying-of-covid-19-after-all-i-was-using-my-pulse-oximeter-the-wrong-way/2020/06/26/fd70c01a-ac00-11ea-9063-e69bd6520940_story.html

Right, you don't need to be in the ER if your 02 is okay, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be tested or you don't have COVID. 

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I just haven't see that in print. I don't know if it's an assumption (a range of anything exists) or if the doc in that article meant even with covid don't go to the ER if your oxygen is normal or what.

There are people who have zero respiratory symptoms, just GI, headache, sore throat, etc. And those who have only upper respiratory, not coughing, so no 02 issues. But still have Covid. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

In our area people are not supposed to go to ER for possible Covid 19 unless 02 is low, or there is some other significant danger signal such as possible stroke or Covid meningitis etc. 

Monitoring O2 is especially important because people with CV19 can get into dangerously low O2 range without realizing it.  Low O2 is a sign of needing medical/hospital help whether or not reason is CV19. (Actual low O2– not wrong reading due to not knowing out how to use meter like the author of article.) 

But normal O2 does not mean a person doesn’t have Covid 19.  

I hope that’s not something that a lot of people think. If people think a normal O2 reading means no CV19 and thus okay to mingle with others that would be a big problem. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I decided no covid test is necessary; shingles explains all the symptoms that didn't fit in with my normal allergies.

I would not be at all surprised if shingles cases are high this year given the unusual stress levels.

I've decided I really love telemedicine; I filled in the online form for a consult and had a call from a doctor within five minutes. The call took about three minutes (I'd uploaded a photo of my rash already through the online form) and by the time I hung up a prescription was on the way to my local pharmacy.

So much easier and faster than a regular doctor appointment! Obviously not ideal for everything but there really is a lot that can be reasonably diagnosed over a phone or video call.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, maize said:

So I decided no covid test is necessary; shingles explains all the symptoms that didn't fit in with my normal allergies.

I would not be at all surprised if shingles cases are high this year given the unusual stress levels.

I've decided I really love telemedicine; I filled in the online form for a consult and had a call from a doctor within five minutes. The call took about three minutes (I'd uploaded a photo of my rash already through the online form) and by the time I hung up a prescription was on the way to my local pharmacy.

So much easier and faster than a regular doctor appointment! Obviously not ideal for everything but there really is a lot that can be reasonably diagnosed over a phone or video call.

I'm in love with telemedicine.  I have to do an ultrasound as a yearly surgery follow up and a GYN appointment in the next two weeks, and obviously those can't be done virtually, but I'm hoping we never have to go back to a psychiatrist's office again.  It's so much better!   I had a telemedicine appointment with my family doctor for a sinus infection, too, and that was simple.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maize said:

I have a weird combination of hypersensitive skin on my back and right arm and a chicken-pox-like rash in my armpit. Google says it could be shingles, which wouldn't be surprising. I've also got a gassy belly, a weird feeling in my mouth (hard to describe) and slight congestion and headache but I often have those because of allergies. Also a very occasional cough but that too isn't uncommon with allergies.

I hate having to worry that every little thing could be a big thing. 

Give that the hypersensitivity is located on the right side near your armpit, and the rash - I would think shingles is more likely.  (and far more likely that covid - which would be throughout the body - not localized.)

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Now see me, I wouldn't hesitate to call the doctor and ask if you should be tested. Unless you're of a persuasian not to participate in contact tracing, then I could see. But to me that's so obviously overlapping that it seems very obvious to want the test. Summer is a weird time to have a cold anyway, and a "cold" is an upper respiratory thing. 

I did get a Covid test today. The way I feel right now is a VERY mild version of how I always feel whenever I get sick with anything -- I'm prone to respiratory things -- so I normally would not be worried at all. I have not even been taking cold or cough medicine, because I have not needed any. Often when I'm sick, I am so much worse than this. But, of course, that means nothing as far as whether I might have Covid or not.

5 hours ago, square_25 said:

Is it a real-life graduation ceremony? 

Yes, it's an in-person ceremony, but we don't have the details yet. I'm hoping they will hold it outside. DD18 is graduating from a small Christian school that meets at a church and has only 16 people in her graduating class. They said they would limit attendance but haven't yet said how many people from each family can go. I'm guessing there will be 50-75 people there.

The nurse said that the results might take 4-5 days, but they should be back before next Saturday, and that as long as the test is negative and I haven't had fever, etc, I should be out of the 10 day zone since onset of symptoms and can attend the ceremony.

In the meantime, we are all supposed to quarantine. We had planned a drive-by graduation celebration for DD18 for tomorrow, in lieu of a party, and we have just sent out messages to postpone that until August. And DD18 is calling off of work for the next few days (DH is working from home; she is the only one who works outside the house right now). The other kids have some practices at school (cheerleading and cross country) that they will need to skip.

It seems so bizarre to keep my kids out of their activities, because their mom has a super mild illness, but these are bizarre times.

• Like 2

Oh, I probably should mention about going to the ceremony next week --- I am super cautious and haven't been back to our own church yet, even though they have been meeting for awhile. So I'm not really comfortable with attending an in-person ceremony, but I (and DH and my kids, if they can go) will mask up and stay as far away from others as possible.

Assuming my test comes back negative, of course. If it comes back positive, DD will need to miss her own graduation, I'm sure. Really really really hoping for a negative test!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I have to do an ultrasound as a yearly surgery follow up and a GYN appointment in the next two weeks, and obviously those can't be done virtually, 

"Honey, why are you deep cleaning the dining room table?"

"I have a GYN appointment at 4! Hook up the vidcam, will ya?"

• Haha 6

I had a covid test on Thursday, so waiting on results. My symptoms were sore throat and occasional coughing, but Dh is in remission for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, so I thought that warranted a little extra caution. So quarantine is happening here. Ugh-hate this virus.

• Like 1