Menu

Kolbe Biology - textbook edition?

Hopefully you'll get somebody who can specifically answer your question, but as a general rule there is very little change between editions of textbooks.  Sometimes there is a major reoganization, and page numbers and end of chapter questions change, but the overall content changes little.  I have 3 editions of the book that I used when I taught at a community college (it changed every 2 years) and since I wrote my own questions and assignments students could use any of them.  I guess it depends on how the book is used - if the syllabus says to read p. 21-30 and then answer the questions, you'll probably have to tweak it some.  But, if you can just read about mitosis and then do an assignment, then you're likely to be able to follow along.  

On 7/10/2020 at 2:56 PM, BrookeInABook said:

I'm looking at using the Kolbe syllabus for biology this year. The sample says they use the 2017 edition, but I have the 2010 edition. Has anyone used the syllabus with an older printing of the Macaw edition? Any problems or difficulties?

I think you are likely to be ok. Have you flipped through the pages of the book you have to see if it matches up?

The book isn't updated as often as a college text. If your book has a macaw (tropical bird) on the cover, I think you have one that will mostly match the course plan.

My daughter used the Kolbe syllabus last year, and we did use the 2010 text. I didn’t notice any issues/problems Though I will add that I also paid the $20 for the online text which has some nice extras (occasional videos, PowerPoint type presentations, printable workbook pages, audio reading of the text) and I think my daughter primarily ended up using the online text instead of the hard copy.  Hmm.. I guess I should add that at times we used the workbook pages for a chapter instead of the Kolbe end of section assignments.  So maybe this is not completely helpful, but perhaps helps a little bit. ( In sum, I think you should be fine.)

• Like 1