Menu

What's with the ads?

TheAttachedMama

Do you add anything to Mystery Science?

I am trying to figure out first grade science.  One of the programs we have watched casually are the mystery science videos.   However, I am wondering if "the hive" feels that this is really a complete science curriculum.   Does anyone add anything to it?   (Read alouds, memory work, movies, etc.). 

I think Mystery Science by itself is more than enough for first grade science. However my standards for first grade are admittedly low by this point in my homeschooling career. And while I never intentionally and purposefully supplemented at that age, our typical media diet (books and videos) is often science-related just because it interests us. 

10 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

I think Mystery Science by itself is more than enough for first grade science. However my standards for first grade are admittedly low by this point in my homeschooling career. And while I never intentionally and purposefully supplemented at that age, our typical media diet (books and videos) is often science-related just because it interests us. 

I know what you mean!  My "standards" keep going down as I get to my younger children!  But that might not (always) be the best thing.  
So that is why I was asking.   

• Like 1

I personally don't think 1st graders need formal science. If they like MS I say hey, go for it and do any of the projects that appeal. Some are really fun like the worms on paper for example that would probably really appeal to that age. But having used MS for a few years now, I didn't/don't add in anything. It's completely interest led and we only do it when they ask for it. 

• Like 1

I'm using MS for 1st grade this year too! I'm not adding anything, and I think it's complete. I've used it off and on with my older kids, and we all love the videos and activities.