Menu

Help me help ddil homeschool next year

Lady Florida.

Cross posting to the General Ed and K-8 boards

Florida has mandated in person school for the 20-21 school year and dss/ddil aren't comfortable with that. Our 2yo granddaughter with Down Syndrome, while not immune compromised, is immune deficient and sending her six and eight year old brothers to school terrifies us all. 

Although they schooled at home for the rest of the 2019-20 year they know that's not what real homeschooling looks like. And ddil asked me for advice. With my homeschooled kid turning 23 in six weeks I'm so far removed from homeschooling young ones that I don't know what to recommend to her. I'm not even sue if some of the stuff we used back then is still available. 

They plan to homeschool for the full 2020-21 school year but unless they find that homeschooling is amazing, they'll go to school the following year assuming there's a vaccine. They learned during crisis schooling (her term) that sitting at a computer watching videos all day is not what they want to do. But they need to mostly keep up with the state and their county's grade standards so they can easily go back to school whenever that happens. Probably (they hope) 2021-22. They're open to part virtual school but don't want it to all be online.

Any suggestions? What are the good homeschool sites these days (besides these forums). Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. 

If you're in Florida, they live in Osceola County so if you know of a facebook group she can join I'd appreciate that info too. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

Ok, so I'd say what the kids most need to "keep up with" are math, reading, and writing. Don't worry about science or social studies, as those vary from place to place anyway, and you can jump into it without really being at a loss. So math that is common core aligned, making sure they are good readers, and that they don't freak out when asked to write something. (seems most public schools here don't worry about quality of writing, but they do expect quantity...so making sure the kids build up to that)

My friend in this situation is going to use Mathematical Reasoning for math,I think it is common core aligned? How are they at reading? Do they need any extra help, normal phonics, etc?

Memoria Press might be the most like school?

• Like 2

I’d also check what is used standardly in their schools for whatever grades they would be in to help make sure return would be smooth

if no special learning issues, I would tend to suggest Bravewriter type writing — and maybe even 2 yo could enjoy poetry teatimes in her own way.

Real book reading if they are able.

Maybe Sentence Island together for grammar. 

And whatever math appeals to the mom/teacher (and maybe kids based on online samples). .   Singapore? Math in Focus? MathUSee? Critical Thinking Company? Beast Academy? They don’t even need same program as each other. 

Maybe a science unit on viruses, 

and Nature Study 

also Story of the World book 1 audio - not necessary, but would be good, and could be used when mom Needed by2 yo.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so I'd say what the kids most need to "keep up with" are math, reading, and writing. Don't worry about science or social studies, as those vary from place to place anyway, and you can jump into it without really being at a loss. So math that is common core aligned, making sure they are good readers, and that they don't freak out when asked to write something. (seems most public schools here don't worry about quality of writing, but they do expect quantity...so making sure the kids build up to that)

My friend in this situation is going to use Mathematical Reasoning for math,I think it is common core aligned? How are they at reading? Do they need any extra help, normal phonics, etc?

Memoria Press might be the most like school?

I agree that the focus should be math, reading and writing.  Choose a math program that has a  scope and sequence that matches state curriculum requirements.  Reading at that stage for us meant a phonics program (Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading), some good books at reading level, some read alouds above reading level, and a grammar program (First Language Lessons).  For writing, we were well served by Writing With Ease.

Treat science and social studies as enrichment.  Story of the World on audio during rest-time or in the car (though we are all spending less time in the car with kids these days, I think), combined with some kiddie science podcasts (we love BrainsOn!).  More in-depth or more hands on only if the children show enthusiasm, but otherwise at this age exposure via audio (or video, or books) with discussion is really enough.

• Like 1

I agree - 3 R's.

Math Mammoth is common core aligned, I think. Also very easy for a mom who isn't used to being a teacher to understand and teach.

Homeschool writing curriculum is going to be way, way, way different than ps school expectations. They usually want them to come up with their own content and do creative writing. Maybe at those ages just get a writing prompt book of some kind and let them choose 1 every day?

Reading at ps is going to be very different than most hs programs too, but this would be a good opportunity to sneak in some phonics 🙂

And read alouds would cover science and history for those ages just fine.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. All of your posts are bringing things back to me. We did a lot of literature based learning. I know they'd all (mom and kids) like that but they have to keep in mind the fact that they'll eventually go back to public school. I'm going to find the standards online and come up with some ideas for her. Maybe they can follow something similar to their county's ps curriculum for the 3Rs, do a lot of reading aloud, a little independent reading esp. for the 8yo, and some hands on science stuff. 

We moved closer to them in May and we're among the few family members they're seeing, so maybe I can offer to go to their house a few days a week to help out. I can't deny I'm kind of excited about the idea. ❤️ 

• Like 3

1st and 3rd grades?  Here is my suggestions-

1st Grader- All About Reading or Logic of English (probably start at level B), McRuffy handwriting for copywork or other handwriting workbook, possibly Soaring with Spelling, and Math- Math in Focus,  Math Mammoth or Saxon 2

3rd grader- Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling, read books they choose assuming student is reading and has no issues.  Have a weekly report written on any subject- just a few sentences. Math- same programs from above, 3rd grade level.

Both- Magic School Bus, Cat in the Hat, Wild Kratts and other sciency videos.  Let's Read and Find Out series books, Usborne Beginner Science- let them pick a few, National Geographic Kids Big Books series.   These are easy enough the 3red grader can read them, both can listen and learn!  Try to incorporate World Geography as you can.