Menu

Still waiting on test results a week later. UPDATE: 21 days for a negative

busymama7

We are so incredibly frustrated.   No one can work. We haven't seen dad except over facetime for a week.  Kids are stir crazy and my adult sons just want to go back to work  

My husband is fine.  If he has it is was even more mild than a regular cold.  Pulse ox has been normal the whole time. Chest x ray the day of the test was clear etc.  Sigh

Dr office won't answer phone.  Lab won't answer phone.   Been checking patient portal.   New recording at dr office said to check another lab but nothing there either.  

Edited by busymama7
  • Sad 1

And I just had to cancel my daughters Dr appointment for her broken toes.  It's a follow up and she's doing ok but we really want to know if it's healed etc.  My son who is preparing mission papers bad three necessary appointments this week he's also had to miss which will continue to delay him.    I just wish there was a way to contact someone to make sure the test wasn't lost or something. I mean how long do we sit here?!??

6 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

And I just had to cancel my daughters Dr appointment for her broken toes.  It's a follow up and she's doing ok but we really want to know if it's healed etc.  My son who is preparing mission papers bad three necessary appointments this week he's also had to miss which will continue to delay him.    I just wish there was a way to contact someone to make sure the test wasn't lost or something. I mean how long do we sit here?!??

I don't remember where you live, but a few months ago test results routinely took 2-3 weeks.  In many places the numbers are skyrocketing. I would give it three weeks.  I wouldn't expect better in a pandemic.

7 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Sorry that must be so hard. I don't know the answer but I hope you get word soon. I have seen that many places are taking longer to get results again. What we really need to be able to fight this is a quick, accurate test.

My friends have been waiting over a week also. One family member had a slight fever..that's it but doctor recommended testing. They are so frustrated with sitting and waiting. They parents are both teachers so thank goodness they are on summer break but still. For the people who want us to open up and go back to school...fine! But at a minimum we should have made sure testing could keep up with spikes!! Our responses to this pandemic are abysmal. 

• Like 2

Nevada. News says it can take up to a week.   Someone we know had a test at the same location and time as my husband and theirs came back positive yesterday(to be clear it was a different exposure. He just happened to see but not interact with them) We heard that positive tests get bumped to the front for notifying which kinda makes sense but....

My husband's income was cut in March.  It hasnt gone back. He's mostly able to work from home but without his normal pay we can't last forever.  My boys have good jobs and they need to make money because especially now we can't help them with college etc much.   We can't sit here not having them work for 2-3 weeks on a maybe but probably not that he even has it 

• Sad 2

My 18-year-old son was exposed by a coworker who was asymptomatic but tested positive four weeks ago.  It took a while to get an appointment to be tested, but he's been waiting about 2 1/2 weeks for test results, and has heard nothing.  It's beyond frustrating.

7 minutes ago, SebastianCat said:

My 18-year-old son was exposed by a coworker who was asymptomatic but tested positive four weeks ago.  It took a while to get an appointment to be tested, but he's been waiting about 2 1/2 weeks for test results, and has heard nothing.  It's beyond frustrating.

Is he staying home from work? Is the whole family quarentined? I'm trying to figure out if this is the right/practical thing to be doing.   I mean for the good of society I get it.  But I mean who is going to pay the bills?  The boys didn't get the first stimulus checks and won't get another if there is one (One was dependant last year and the other was on a mission and not working so didn't file taxes). We didn't get one either.  But that was based on last year's income. Not what we are making (or NOT) now.  

13 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Is he staying home from work? Is the whole family quarentined? I'm trying to figure out if this is the right/practical thing to be doing.   I mean for the good of society I get it.  But I mean who is going to pay the bills?  The boys didn't get the first stimulus checks and won't get another if there is one (One was dependant last year and the other was on a mission and not working so didn't file taxes). We didn't get one either.  But that was based on last year's income. Not what we are making (or NOT) now.  

Can your sons wear high quality masks and practice excellent hygiene 100% of time while working? And stay isolated from their father while home? If so they probably would not have to be on quarantine under our local rules as sort of a third step away from an exposed but now isolated person afaik. 

22 minutes ago, Pen said:

Can your sons wear high quality masks and practice excellent hygiene 100% of time while working? And stay isolated from their father while home? If so they probably would not have to be on quarantine under our local rules as sort of a third step away from an exposed but now isolated person afaik. 

Masks yes. And isolated from their father of course. He's still stuck in our room.   But one is in a work environment that would be very high risk for him spreading it to other employeess.  He does woodwind instrument repair and would have to remove his mask to test instruments of course.   The other is construction and would probably be fine as he's outdoors a lot and such.    Both bosses have told them to stay home until the results come in but I don't think anyone was thinking it would take this long. 

Edited by busymama7

22 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Masks yes. And isolated from their father of course. He's still stuck in our room.   But one is in a work environment that would be very high risk for him spreading it to other employeess.  He does woodwind instrument repair and would have to remove his mask to test instruments of course.   The other is construction and would probably be fine as he's outdoors a lot and such.    Both bosses have told them to stay home until the results come in but I don't think anyone was thinking it would take this long. 

Oh wow.  Woodwind instrument repair is really high risk.  

It does sound like they better stay home till test results come. 

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I've been surprised, but construction work has been a real hotspot here for spread.  I don't know why since they're outside.  

Could be there are multiple workers in trucks together traveling to and from the job sites.

Or multiple people per day operating heavy equipment with enclosed cabs.

Or they are socializing together at lunch or after work.

• Like 2

People around here have been going to Walgreen's. It's free for anyone over 18. Make an appt online, and then test yourself in the drive thru lane under the supervision of the pharmacist. Not sure about that procedure, but locally people have been getting results in 2-3 hours. I think Walgreens is doing it in many states. 

Nevada looks to be one of the states offering it.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

Could be there are multiple workers in trucks together traveling to and from the job sites.

Or multiple people per day operating heavy equipment with enclosed cabs.

Or they are socializing together at lunch or after work.

This is what was going on on the job site that we saw spread. People who lived together/commuted together -- not necessarily working together on the job site.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J-rap said:

The thing that surprises me the most is that you're calling your doctor's office and no one even answers the phone there??

It was urgent care and no they aren't answering.  I suggested calling our Dr and see if he could get access to the tests even though he didn't order them but we haven't.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

People around here have been going to Walgreen's. It's free for anyone over 18. Make an appt online, and then test yourself in the drive thru lane under the supervision of the pharmacist. Not sure about that procedure, but locally people have been getting results in 2-3 hours. I think Walgreens is doing it in many states. 

Nevada looks to be one of the states offering it.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

According to the website they use LabCorp to process the tests. How can they do them in hours?  According to the news everyone is waiting a week 

2 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

According to the website they use LabCorp to process the tests. How can they do them in hours?  According to the news everyone is waiting a week 

No idea. But I know at least 7 people who got results within hours in the last two days. The pharmacist is reading them at Walgreens as far as I can tell. 

That's nuts. We're a hot spot, and I know my niece got her results in less than 48 hours just a couple of days ago. I don't know exact times for the other people who I know have been tested, but it's definitely days and not weeks. Not even approaching a week. 

57 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Update.  Kinda.  Still waiting. It will be 13 days tomorrow.  No recourse. No one to talk to. Auto recording from Dr office saying to check the lab website as they don't have them.

I’m assuming after two weeks you can go back to normal anyway?  Unless one of you have picked it up from the potential case.  

• Like 3

We are planning to return to normal life at 14 days.  We could not have caught it from the original case. My husband could have but not us.  

He has been back to the DR and stood in a long line of people looking for their results.  Some had been waiting longer (more days not just in the line) than him.  Whoever took his ID and checked in the computer said it wasn't lost and that the lab was just way behind. 

We basically have no hope of this not doing intense damage since we can't even manage to have adequate testing and results.  Contact tracing is 2-3 weeks behind per a family friend who works at the health district.  I mean what's the point except maybe to study retroactively where the spreads were.  They obviously can't even pretend they are trying to control the spread.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

21 hours ago, busymama7 said:

We are planning to return to normal life at 14 days.  We could not have caught it from the original case. My husband could have but not us.  

He has been back to the DR and stood in a long line of people looking for their results.  Some had been waiting longer (more days not just in the line) than him.  Whoever took his ID and checked in the computer said it wasn't lost and that the lab was just way behind. 

We basically have no hope of this not doing intense damage since we can't even manage to have adequate testing and results.  Contact tracing is 2-3 weeks behind per a family friend who works at the health district.  I mean what's the point except maybe to study retroactively where the spreads were.  They obviously can't even pretend they are trying to control the spread.  

In the outbreak linked to a Sydney pub here they said people had managed to pass it on within one to two days of contact.  So two weeks is not going to do much.  I’m sorry things are like this.

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In the outbreak linked to a Sydney pub here they said people had managed to pass it on within one to two days of contact.  So two weeks is not going to do much.  I’m sorry things are like this.

That's why here, they say to quarantine if you get tested.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:55 PM, Toocrazy!! said:

No idea. But I know at least 7 people who got results within hours in the last two days. The pharmacist is reading them at Walgreens as far as I can tell. 

What kind of tests are they doing?  It sounds a bit off to me.  Generally processing swabs safely and without contamination requires at least a medical laboratory and trained staff.  Also I doubt the ability of most people to stick a spike up their nose and do a proper job.  It is not pleasant when done right - I had a really bad at sinus blockage and was essentially numb so it wasn't too bad.  NZ had free testing at special community clinics with an aimed for 24 hour turn around.  I was tested on a Sunday so mine was about 36 hours.  It should still be free but you have to go to your doctor now.

Edited by kiwik

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes for sure but these weren’t even people who knew they’d had contact you know because they only just uncovered the outbreak.  

We had to agree to go straight home and stay there until the result as a condition of testing.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:14 PM, busymama7 said:

Honestly is sounds like everyone needs to go into total lockdown until all testing and contact tracing is up to date and they have the capability to get test results within 24 hours mostly and 48 hours always plus contact tracing is up to whatever standard has been set - I think 72 hours is standard but not sure.

2 hours ago, kiwik said:

We had to agree to go straight home and stay there until the result as a condition of testing.

Yeah I’m probably explaining badly.  They had a case in a hotel.  They’ve traced all the people who were at the hotel however it took a couple of days for the contact tracers to find them all.  So after they were found they tested and isolated but in the time between the hotel visit and that time which was two days they had no idea and had already passed it on.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 1:14 AM, busymama7 said:

Yup. 

4 hours ago, kiwik said:

Honestly is sounds like everyone needs to go into total lockdown until all testing and contact tracing is up to date and they have the capability to get test results within 24 hours mostly and 48 hours always plus contact tracing is up to whatever standard has been set - I think 72 hours is standard but not sure.

Well, yeah, supposedly that was the point of the lockdown. Except we didn't do that. Because...well no real reason...we just sort of suck right now. 

But yeah, that was the idea.