Menu

What's with the ads?

parent

Abnormal ultrasound

I had my 20 week anatomy scan last week.  I have been nervous and distant from the pregnancy before this as I was worried about another miscarriage and did not want to get attached.  But the ultrasound looked beautiful to us.  We had amazing 3d pictures taken and my husband wanted to find out gender and we were delighted that it is a girl, just like we hoped.  I have been really happy, and we were name hunting.  I wondered why I didn't get the call saying everything looked great.  So, yesterday at my dr appt, she told me of 2 abnormalities.  One is a bright focus spot near the stomach which she is not too worried about and said it is likely not anything and will go away but can be associated with growth restriction.  It can also be associated with cystic fibrosis but we are not carriers and our 10 week genetic screening came back clear.  The second, more concerning, issue is a marginal cord insertion to the placenta, which means the cord is connected at the edge of the placenta instead of the center, and the baby could have reduced nutrients and oxygen and growth restriction.  It can also turn into a worse cord condition so I will another ultrasound at 32 weeks and have checkup every week of 3rd trimester.  She said she gets 3-4 babies a year with this and most are fine.  I was very upset but now after studying, I do not know what to think.  The baby's growth is right on track.  I'm feeling lots of activity.  I am just in shock, as soon as I think everything is safe and good, then we have this.  And getting covid seems to cause placental infection.  If my baby is on the edge of my placenta, it seems even more risky.  

We still haven't made any announcements to family, our kids or any friends.  It has been easy to keep it quiet because of social distancing.  I did see a friend yesterday who noticed, but I asked her not to say anything since we have not announced it.  She noticed because I am normally very thin but gained so much weight already.  I am usually 5'5" and 105 lbs and I weighed in at 126 lbs yesterday, ugh.  Trying to eat high fat to keep nausea at bay then quarantine baking (croissants, etc...) has not been good.  Oh, and I have vulvar variscosities on my left side so I have not been able to be my normally active self due to that pain.  I'm ordering a V2 supporter, very unlovely but I hope it helps.  The good thing is that my horrible, all day and night nausea did subside more than a month ago.

Anyway, just venting as I do not have anyone to talk to about this.  If you are a praying person, please pray for me.  I have been struggling with my faith through this entire ordeal.

• Sad 4

Parent, I have followed your posts for a while and will be praying for you!

• Like 2

I think doctors nowadays believe that they have to tell you everything up front, even when risks are minimal.  I'll be praying that your baby girl keeps growing and stays healthy and strong!!  You've made it 20 weeks already, and that's terrific!!  I always put on a lot of weight up front, to the point where doctors would be concerned.  But that was my normal.  It was always fine.  Three of my babies were born almost a month early -- that seemed to be my normal too.  The one that went full term was tiny!  The smallest one of all.  They're all healthy.

• Like 3

Doctors have an ethical requirement to share every possible risk, but the chances of something going wrong at this point are very very low. I've said a few prayers already, but I'm sure your daughter will be fine. You're more than halfway there, you're feeling lots of movement...  And at this point even if you did have a loss, you'd need to tell people.  Maybe don't widely announce (I didn't with my last after multiple losses), but DO tell everyone you really love.

• Like 3

Praying for peace for you and that all will be fine with your dd. My oldest is severely disabled, and I don't think I can put into words the emotions and fears of the next two pregnancies. I understand not telling people and not letting yourself dream big and anticipate the joy of this new blessing. It was a major exercise of faith to trust that everything would be okay even if everything wasn't really okay. So my advice is to trust in Him who holds you and dear baby in the palm of His hand. Let Him take your worries and cares and trust that He will give you all that you need to get through each day's trials. And then enjoy the blessings of this little one growing within you.

• Like 4

Awwww.  Congrats on the baby girl.  I am so sorry you are stressed now.  Lets focus on names, that should cheer us all up! I love talking names.  

• Like 2

I am a homebirth midwife and have seen marginal insertions quite a few times.  Even a few velamentous which are for sure riskier.  They have all been fine. Really and truly, it has some potential but try not focus on it or stress about it because we know maternal stress causes issues and a marginal insertion only has the potential to but usually does not.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

🙏 saying a prayer......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I am a homebirth midwife and have seen marginal insertions quite a few times.  Even a few velamentous which are for sure riskier.  They have all been fine. Really and truly, it has some potential but try not focus on it or stress about it because we know maternal stress causes issues and a marginal insertion only has the potential to but usually does not.    

That is very encouraging.  Thank you.  I did watch a couple of youtube videos that were also encouraging, people who had it with no problems.  Googling it was more disturbing.  My dr was also very sober about it and her attitude made me concerned, but she said just live my life and wait and see, that I can't do anything about it.  

4 hours ago, Katy said:

Maybe don't widely announce (I didn't with my last after multiple losses), but DO tell everyone you really love.

The person I would tell first is my mother, but she is stuck due to covid and caring for her mother and cannot travel and would be upset that she can't help me.  I don't want to tell her and have her worrying, or devastated if something goes wrong.  I don't want to tell anyone else that would tell her.  We never told anyone until after 5 months in our other pregnancies, so we will just wait a little longer this time.  Unfortunately, I am probably the size I was at 7 months in previous pregnancies, so it is trickier to hide if out and about.  I'm dropping all sugars, lowering carbs (no more bagels or biscotti for breakfast), eating only veggies for snacks and I might try to exercise in our kids pool, but it's only 30" deep so I don't know what I can do.

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Awwww.  Congrats on the baby girl.  I am so sorry you are stressed now.  Lets focus on names, that should cheer us all up! I love talking names.  

I love names too, but I gave my husband a shortlist and he didn't like any.  It is hard to find a compromise.  I like short and not trendy or popular names.  He does not like anything too weird or different.

Huge hugs

Glad I didn't know about some of the funny things with my ds16 cord while pregnant with him. Was much better having a very healthy baby in my arms while the doctor and midwife explained a abnormality that was so rare and mostly fatal at birth. 

• Like 2

My oldest son had a velementous cord insertion and... I can't exactly remember the wording but the umbilical cord only had 2 vessels. It wasn't picked up on ultrasound, so we were blissfully unaware and the pregnancy progressed normally. We found out after he was born when the midwife tried to use cord traction to encourage the placenta delivery - and the cord came free leaving the placenta inside!  I started to haemorrhage and was rushed to theatre for a manual removal.

A bit rough on me but my son was perfectly fine, he was nearly 9 pounds. He will be 13 this year, he's taller than me, smart, and has never had any ramifications.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I will pray for you, your baby and the rest of your family too. This has to be hard on you and your dh. 

Thank you.

He is Mr. Confident.  He is sure everything will be fine.  I really love him.

• Like 1

I am also currently pregnant (about 30 weeks), and being pregnant during a pandemic is stressful enough without added complications/worry/stress, so I will definitely be lifting you, baby, and YH up in prayer.

(Also, naming other humans is hard. I fear this kid will be known as #5 forever.)

• Like 1

That sounds very stressful indeed. I agree to focus on names. It was always one of my favorite things. (I still pick out names once in a while, even though my “baby” is fifteen!) 

I will say a prayer for you and your sweet baby.
I had a similar issue with the umbilical cord during my pregnancy last year and had to have some extra ultrasounds in the last trimester.  If it reassures you, my son is totally fine, was over 7 pounds when he was born, and is 5 months old now, all curled up asleep next to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1