Menu

29 minutes ago, katilac said:

I get the challenges for some kids (and adults, even), but I struggle to get past the fact that the virus doesn't care why one is not wearing a mask. Viral load matters, so okay, it helps if the majority of people are wearing them, but I think the excused children are going to outnumber the masked children. 

I have no answers, I'm over here just 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I had this conversation with my SIL, who kept telling me that it's really hard for young kids to keep masks on all day. I was like, "yeah, I'm not saying I don't understand or agree with that; I'm just saying that if kids can't wear masks at school that might mean we can't have school."  If you figure out some ways to make school safe, but for whatever reason you can't implement those measures, then....you can't make school safe. Maybe social distancing is impractical or universal testing or wearing masks...and maybe that means we don't get to open schools until we figure it out. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our society needs kids to be in school.  Our economy sure as hell needs kids in school full time.  Many kids need to be in school, for a wide variety of reasons.   But kids in school is only safe

One of our good friends is a family practice physician and they were getting swamped by requests by adults when the mask requirements came out. They got together and unanimously decided their response

From my perspective, because of what they've done, crap upon crap happens. Obviously the pandemic itself was out of everyone's control.  But as we have seen around the world, a population's behav

Posted Images

I am hearing some rumblings from people connected to the schools here that while nothing official has been stated they are getting the impression that they are starting school to connect with the kids/assess technology needs/train them in online schooling platforms and prepare to shut down very quickly. I am sure it is also to give the impression that they did indeed try. 

Some people that are connected to local day care providers for school age kids are also reporting lots of contact with the schools on contingency planning. All the while the public story is that they are returning fully face to face and that it is safe. 

Schools starts here in 5 days and we are at what I keep hoping is a peak...but if not we are on the way up. 😞

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Yeah,  I lived for a few years in FL and have traveled there a lot and I also never heard of Madison County TX or the one in ARK.  And I have heard of lots of counties because of lots of travelling including many cross country moves and also because we were watchers of COPS since the beginning.  (And why in the world did they cancel COPS and LivePD-- even my son who is the person in my family who is most suspicious and least likely to support the police liked that show--- I am glad A and E lost so much because of their dumb decision). 

So, now I feel dumb! I looked on a map and I use to drive right through it several times a year! It's where Lake City is, so when you take I75 from South florida up to Tallahassee you go through it. Right above Alachua County. Heck, Lake City was on of my potty break spots, lol. Not exactly the type of place I lingered though.....that's Good Ol' Boy Florida. 

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

So, now I feel dumb! I looked on a map and I use to drive right through it several times a year! It's where Lake City is, so when you take I75 from South florida up to Tallahassee you go through it. Right above Alachua County. Heck, Lake City was on of my potty break spots, lol. Not exactly the type of place I lingered though.....that's Good Ol' Boy Florida. 

Oh yes, we even stayed in Lake City once.  But I do remember Alachua County.  

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

@Ali in OR, ODE specifies that age 5 is when compulsory masking is required, but there is no enforcement behind that. They cannot exclude children from school based on mask refusal. In addition, some children with sensory or behavioral issues will be considered to be medically excused since the medical exclusion isn’t tied to specifics re: lung function, etc. It’s been a huge point of discussion in the meetings I have been in....and I think part of the driver behind the new metrics based distance learning guidance.

My disabled dd is a graduate of the life skills program and she really cannot mask. She is able enough to remove it, does not have the intellectual capacity to understand any explanation of why it's needed, is visually impaired so can't see everyone has a mask, and because of the visual impairment she explores the world through touch and most of her waking hours she plays with toys by rubbing them around her face! I'm glad she's graduated. While she loved school and her caregiver, it would have increased everyone's risk to send her to school. I do understand completely why some kids truly can't mask and I think our life skills teachers and aides are probably at most risk if we go back to in-person school. There was a definite change in attitude in our district leadership though when the word came down from on high that students would be required to mask. In June they were singing the tune that they can only recommend masks; in late July they were all "masks WILL be required." But I really don't think we'll ever have the numbers to get back to the building. If it didn't happen this summer, it's not going to happen when college kids return and everyone heads back inside.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I am hearing some rumblings from people connected to the schools here that while nothing official has been stated they are getting the impression that they are starting school to connect with the kids/assess technology needs/train them in online schooling platforms and prepare to shut down very quickly. I am sure it is also to give the impression that they did indeed try. 

Some people that are connected to local day care providers for school age kids are also reporting lots of contact with the schools on contingency planning. All the while the public story is that they are returning fully face to face and that it is safe. 

Schools starts here in 5 days and we are at what I keep hoping is a peak...but if not we are on the way up. 😞

Honestly, that's kind of what I'm thinking for my students. If I can get even a few weeks of in person lessons, I can make sure they have the basics and we have a common language to use, make sure they have the books and materials they will need for a few weeks, and get the parents/older students onto the Google classroom and LMS, etc-and probably even do some training on Zoom since I plan to use it to screen share games, etc even in the physical classroom. For my 5 new beginners, that would help a lot. For my kids who have not managed to print out a single thing or get on Google classroom since March, but have been limping along with my occasionally dropping new stuff off on their front porch, it would help a lot. In many respects, I wish I had gone back in person in May/early June and started new beginners when numbers were low. I also wonder if maybe it would have made sense for schools to bring kids in over the summer in small groups to train on technology/assess needs/get to know each other a bit for the same reason, vs waiting until Fall. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Most schools around here have announced delayed starts and options for hybrid and face to face, but the private schools are starting “on time.” I am convinced this is the reason. They want to meet the kids and make sure everyone’s ready for when shutdowns are necessary. 

Our local district announced the current plans, with ~25% (may go up) of parents choosing completely online for the year.  The deadline to decide is ten days away.  I feel extremely bad for those that will have to make these decisions.  All kids grades 6-12 have to mask, and everyone has to mask on the school bus, but I was at the local pediatrician to pick up paperwork (all one big group for most of the county) and the number of people insisting Johnny has a condition and are demanding an excuse is unreal.  They are swamped with requests, so how it actually plays out in the classroom is anyones guess right now.  Our numbers, both county and statewide are climbing again, so we have discussed it with the kids and we are not participating in outside activities this year, nor will anyone be on campus for outside classes at this point.

4 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I live in central NY. My school district announced plans for five day a week school, and the parents are thrilled about that but furious that the kids have to wear masks and social distance.  I thought I’d see parents pull kids out to homeschool because they didn’t want full day, five day a week school, but they’re pulling their kids out because they don’t want them social distancing and wearing masks. The parents here want normal school with tables instead of desks and group projects and specials.  The superintendent has repeatedly said that’s out of his hands, but people are mad at him anyway.

On the other hand, parents in a neighboring district overwhelmingly answered that they wanted face to face five day a week school on the parent survey(68%).  The school district instead chose hybrid and parents are furious about that, they absolutely do not want anything less than face to face five day a week school.

There’s no winning in this situation.

Oh boy. You're right. There's no winning in this situation.

I just heard a good piece on NPR about a young teacher in Richmond, Indiana who resigned from her dream teaching job. She's making national headlines. 

32 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

All kids grades 6-12 have to mask, and everyone has to mask on the school bus, but I was at the local pediatrician to pick up paperwork (all one big group for most of the county) and the number of people insisting Johnny has a condition and are demanding an excuse is unreal.  They are swamped with requests, so how it actually plays out in the classroom is anyones guess right now.  

One of our good friends is a family practice physician and they were getting swamped by requests by adults when the mask requirements came out. They got together and unanimously decided their response:  If you have a condition where it doesn't allow you to wear a mask, then you should stay home. It would make you too vulnerable."   They will not write notes for anyone. If they really need it, they should not be out. Period. That is their stance anyway.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Most schools around here have announced delayed starts and options for hybrid and face to face, but the private schools are starting “on time.” I am convinced this is the reason. They want to meet the kids and make sure everyone’s ready for when shutdowns are necessary. 

I imagine it's an economic decision with private schools, too....they're afraid parents will pull their kids and send them elsewhere if they start online. I think it's the same reason so many colleges are planning on in person (or if they're not now, they held out deciding on virtual for as long as possible).

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, kokotg said:

I imagine it's an economic decision with private schools, too....they're afraid parents will pull their kids and send them elsewhere if they start online. I think it's the same reason so many colleges are planning on in person (or if they're not now, they held out deciding on virtual for as long as possible).

Yes, my friend teaches at a private school and hell or high water they are doing EVERYTHING they can to do it in person.  People won't pay 10,000 dollars a year to sit in their house and do it online.  If even 1/3 of the students withdraw, the school will not be financially viable. 

Edited by Happymomof1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

We have not been explicitly told this, but it's been heavily implied. First 6 or so weeks of school will be little to no academics. All teachers are to have everything up and running on google classrooms. It sounds like it's going to be online learning in the classroom. Teachers have been told to focus on social/emotional, teaching tech, and creating good routines. 

I also think parents and students are going to be very surprised at what in-person instruction will look like this year. It's going to suck for the kids, honestly. They're not going to be able to work in groups, socialize, eat lunch together, nothing. 

I liked this article earlier today. Parents you're being lied to.

"I hear a lot of parents saying that they “get to choose which option to do” or “are going to be in person for the full year”. No one — not your administrator, not your school board, not your teachers — knows that or can promise it. Hell, they don’t even believe it. The truth is that you will likely end up remote at some point, regardless of whatever snake oil you’re being sold in parent emails."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, kokotg said:

Yes, this is what we see.  At dd’s private school, 84% of the respondents have chosen in-person school, 9% online and 7% undecided.  They’ve heard back from 75% of the parents so far.

we are starting online.  Dd wants to stay with her school for continuation purposes for graduation and I get that.  The pandemic won’t last forever.  I hope!

15 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

In my area of NY, it appears that the smallest districts are going 5 day in person for elementary and 2 or 3 day virtual for 6-12. They also are offering virtual to any who want it, and are asking for parents to drive kids to school in order to lessen bus ridership. Going out a bit farther to mid size schools, they seem to be in person one day, virtual the next, for all grades. It seems like these towns, as they get closer to Rochester and have no troubles with internet capabilities, are requiring the kids to be online the whole school day, as opposed to the schools nearest me. They will be dividing the groups up by neighborhoods in order to keep siblings on the same schedule.

I was very happy to see all of them state that teachers and staff will have n95 masks and they all strongly urge kids to mask unless they have a doctor’s note. They all say there will be breaks for unmasking. I’m also very glad to see all of them say this will  depend on Cuomo’s plans regarding case rates,etc, and may possibly change. I haven’t seen any negative comments from parents yet, so that is encouraging. Maybe we’ve actually become enlightened in this neck of the woods!

This is probably something they have planned but I wonder how smooth drop off and pick up will be.  Traffic is bad here in areas due to no one using public transport.  

Has anyone posted this yet? it’s a Forbes article suggesting young children spread the virus more efficiently than adults. 

I think mask use is easy to push because it’s a cheap solution, but in a school situation they’re going to have to address air exchange systems to avoid classrooms becoming the local Covid distribution centers. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/07/31/new-evidence-suggests-young-children-spread-covid-19-more-efficiently-than-adults/amp/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
10 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I've heard nothing here.

Hey @Ali in OR, your quote included prairiewindmomma's request that you not quote. Oversight, I'm sure! But if you could edit your post it would restore harmony. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Has anyone posted this yet? it’s a Forbes article suggesting young children spread the virus more efficiently than adults. 

I think mask use is easy to push because it’s a cheap solution, but in a school situation they’re going to have to address air exchange systems to avoid classrooms becoming the local Covid distribution centers. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/07/31/new-evidence-suggests-young-children-spread-covid-19-more-efficiently-than-adults/amp/

You are first I have seen with it. Thanks!

So I am wondering how schools (especially high schools) may be changing their curriculum or schedule where the start date is pushed back much.  Maybe a topic for another thread.

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have been seeing entire families at the grocery store now.  During lockdown only one person per family was the norm.  I tend to stay far away from the kids if I can and this article makes me glad that I do.

I wish people who are able would go back to sending one adult.

thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Anyone talk about how Montgomery Country, MD has ordered ALL schools, public AND private to go online until (at least) Oct 1.  https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2020/08/montgomery-co-private-schools-ordered-to-remain-closed-for-in-person-instruction/

People are GRUMPY, especially the private school attending families.   I believe lawsuits and petitions are afoot.

1 hour ago, SKL said:

So I am wondering how schools (especially high schools) may be changing their curriculum or schedule where the start date is pushed back much.  Maybe a topic for another thread.

What I've heard about so far is still in the realm of some locations' normal--schools delaying the start to something before or near Labor Day. We don't start here until the Wednesday after Labor Day every year. The cost of that is attending school through mid-June. I personally am not a fan--it means our high schoolers have a month less to prep for AP tests. But it is still very doable to have a full year of school.

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I have heard rumblings that the Dept of Ed will allow this school year to be shorter, I think 165 days, due to the late start. Also, the first 6 or so weeks of school will not be academic here, just s/e and practice for learning online.

• Confused 1
5 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I have heard rumblings that the Dept of Ed will allow this school year to be shorter, I think 165 days, due to the late start. Also, the first 6 or so weeks of school will not be academic here, just s/e and practice for learning online.

I just wonder what the plan is to make sure that kids will graduate from high school with the knowledge they are supposed to graduate with.  Or move from, say, alg2 to trigonometry with the requisite background, or how that's going to be remedied if they don't.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SKL said:

I just wonder what the plan is to make sure that kids will graduate from high school with the knowledge they are supposed to graduate with.  Or move from, say, alg2 to trigonometry with the requisite background, or how that's going to be remedied if they don't.

That's a great question and one teachers have as well. We haven't been given any guidance on academic expectations/remediating what was lost in the spring/nothing. Just "focus on social emotional and making sure everyone understands how to use google classroom". In the district I live in, we have a jr/sr high school that starts at 7th. We were excited to visit and see if it was a good fit for DS to take a few classes. Once I heard the reopening plans, we changed our minds. I don't see how much/any academic progress will be made this year in our state given what we've been told. Of course it doesn't help that grades don't exist anymore in VT, just proficiencies, which is a WHOLE other thread. 🙄 

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

My daughter actually just finished her Spring math class for this reason. The professor was not willing to reduce the amount of topics covered, and many of the students were struggling to get it done self-paced due to a lot of reasons. So, he extended the course through the end of the summer term, and made himself available for a set time each week to answer questions. In DD's case, she had the time to finish it in the Spring, so for her, the only difference was when the grade will be added to her transcript (and that it likely won't be on transcripts sent for college applications this fall)-but for some of the students, I suspect this is the difference between finishing and not finishing.

I suspect that teachers who teach sequenced high school classes will already have to back up and make up for the last quarter of the year. For elementary and middle, the state test timing pretty much dictates that there isn't much new content after Spring break-it's all test review and prep until after the test, and then enrichment and extra stuff.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Of course it doesn't help that grades don't exist anymore in VT, just proficiencies, which is a WHOLE other thread. 🙄 

If you ever have the time and interest, this is a thread I would be interested to read!

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

6 weeks?! I hope that’s just for the younger grades? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A local school board in a neighboring town met in mid-July and voted for in person schooling.

A week later almost every person who attended that meeting, along with some family members, have tested positive. The superintendent sent out a note of apology stating COVID is more serious than expected and the fall semester will now be remote learning.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8
21 hours ago, melmichigan said:

but I was at the local pediatrician to pick up paperwork (all one big group for most of the county) and the number of people insisting Johnny has a condition and are demanding an excuse is unreal.  They are swamped with requests, so how it actually plays out in the classroom is anyones guess right now. 

Any doctor of any moral standing will refuse to write letters for children who don't need one. 

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, MEmama said:

6 weeks?! I hope that’s just for the younger grades? 

Nope - all grades. I have no clue what classroom teachers will do if they can't do academics? Especially since there are no in-person specials (Zoom), no group work, no gym, no lunchroom. Seems like a long time to spend on s/e.

5 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

A local school board in a neighboring town met in mid-July and voted for in person schooling.

A week later almost every person who attended that meeting, along with some family members, have tested positive. The superintendent sent out a note of apology stating COVID is more serious than expected and the fall semester will now be remote learning.

Our school board is deciding everyone's fate from the comfort of their computer screens which feels slightly hypocritical to me.

• Like 2

I am in MN. Last year, I had 1.5 kids in private school, 1.5 homeschooled and one in public school. (One did half-time homeschool and half-time private.) This year, 3 will be homeschooled and 1 in private.

We have a statewide mask mandate that explicitly includes all public and private schools. My oldest child’s private high school had planned to require masks even before the mandate. It is a small school and I feel like they have a good plan. My youngest child, who is severely disabled, was in public. He would be exempt from the mandate due to his disability but he also is medically fragile so I will keep him home. Our public district is taking a hybrid approach and requiring masks of nearly everyone — you can’t just choose not to wear them; you have to have a really good reason, and then a face shield is required. My other child’s private school just released their COVID plan and they seem kind of wishy-washy on masks: parents or students can easily opt-out with notice to the school for such reasons as discomfort or impaired learning. No doctor’s note required. They also will not close classrooms until there are 2 COVID cases in the classroom. We’d already planned to keep her home, but I am sure now that it is the right decision. It is otherwise a very sweet school and a beautiful environment with lovely people, but I just can’t figure out why they aren’t following the law with respect to masking.

5 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Nope - all grades. I have no clue what classroom teachers will do if they can't do academics? Especially since there are no in-person specials (Zoom), no group work, no gym, no lunchroom. Seems like a long time to spend on s/e.

Our school board is deciding everyone's fate from the comfort of their computer screens which feels slightly hypocritical to me.

Wow, I’m sorry. Do the powers that be not understand that all these kids grew up using technology from day 1, that they can (and absolutely do) out-tech any adult? Seriously, I’d bet most 5th graders will be teaching the teachers how to learn online. 😂. And that virtually no kid past the 5th grade will willingly and publicly  talk about their emotions.

My guess is if this experiment actually lasts 6 weeks, the number of high school dropouts will increase. I’d pull my senior immediately if his school tried to pull such a stunt.

I'm mad for you, and sad for the students. The plan would be funny if it wasn’t so terribly misguided. 

Also, I agree with the second part, although I am dismayed that it took the poster's school board getting sick themselves to finally understand how serious and insidious this virus is. 😞 . Why are people not listening??!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Wow, I’m sorry. Do the powers that be not understand that all these kids grew up using technology from day 1, that they can (and absolutely do) out-tech any adult? Seriously, I’d bet most 5th graders will be teaching the teachers how to learn online. 😂. And that virtually no kid past the 5th grade will willingly and publicly  talk about their emotions.

My guess is if this experiment actually lasts 6 weeks, the number of high school dropouts will increase. I’d pull my senior immediately if his school tried to pull such a stunt.

I'm mad for you, and sad for the students. The plan would be funny if it wasn’t so terribly misguided. 

Also, I agree with the second part, although I am dismayed that it took the poster's school board getting sick themselves to finally understand how serious and insidious this virus is. 😞 . Why are people not listening??!!

Agreed. On all counts! Luckily, in my position, I have a lot more flexibility than a classroom teacher. 

4 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Not be academic at all? Or just focus on the s/e & online aspect more and don’t worry about curriculum timelines? There’s a big difference.

Last I heard, 90% s/e and tech, max 10% academic. I don't know what I'd do with my time if I were a classroom teacher. That doesn't seem sustainable. Also, we don't have curriculum in our district, teachers create their own content (which given what I've seen from students and our statewide standings, it's about as good a plan as you might guess). 🙄

4 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Anyone talk about how Montgomery Country, MD has ordered ALL schools, public AND private to go online until (at least) Oct 1.  https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2020/08/montgomery-co-private-schools-ordered-to-remain-closed-for-in-person-instruction/

People are GRUMPY, especially the private school attending families.   I believe lawsuits and petitions are afoot.

My daughter begins her first year of teaching in a neighboring county by teaching online.  It's not ideal, but so far it's the only thing they can come up with that doesn't create rampant virus spreading.  My daughter is completely comfortable with the technology but some of the older teachers are really struggling to adjust lesson plans that have been on auto pilot for decades.  I'm not sure it's too big of a tragedy if kids learn literature online along with the latest weird food challenges and tic tok dances.  It seems like much less of a mental leap for them.

I felt Hogan was hitting it out of the park until recently.  Leaving quarantine decisions up to individual families is why we're all STILL in time out.  Montgomery county will be interesting to watch.  The number of lawsuits from people who really feel they should have been able to buy their kids back into a school building is going to be insane.  Private schools are going to worry about losing their funding, but will put out Very Earnest articles about everything BUT funding.  

I DO sympathize with the very real hardship of having to choose between eating and risking illness.  I have zero sympathy for people who are just bored and start rationalizing ways to get out and have fun because their personal boredom is just harder to cope with than everyone else's.  No, your whole family does NOT need to be at the grocery store for a change of scenery and , Mom at Wegmans, your 12-year-old is pulling down his mask whenever your back is turned.

• Like 10
On 8/1/2020 at 3:12 PM, Medicmom2.0 said:

I live in central NY. My school district announced plans for five day a week school, and the parents are thrilled about that but furious that the kids have to wear masks and social distance.  I thought I’d see parents pull kids out to homeschool because they didn’t want full day, five day a week school, but they’re pulling their kids out because they don’t want them social distancing and wearing masks. The parents here want normal school with tables instead of desks and group projects and specials.  The superintendent has repeatedly said that’s out of his hands, but people are mad at him anyway.

On the other hand, parents in a neighboring district overwhelmingly answered that they wanted face to face five day a week school on the parent survey(68%).  The school district instead chose hybrid and parents are furious about that, they absolutely do not want anything less than face to face five day a week school.

There’s no winning in this situation.

Parents just want everything to go back to normal. They want to send their kids to school every day, not have to worry about childcare or helping with schoolwork, and don't want to think about how school will be very different with masks and distancing. Unfortunately for all of us, normal isn't one of the options.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

Agreed. On all counts! Luckily, in my position, I have a lot more flexibility than a classroom teacher. 

Last I heard, 90% s/e and tech, max 10% academic. I don't know what I'd do with my time if I were a classroom teacher. That doesn't seem sustainable. Also, we don't have curriculum in our district, teachers create their own content (which given what I've seen from students and our statewide standings, it's about as good a plan as you might guess). 🙄

I want to give your post some kind of emoji in recognition, but I can’t decide whether to like it, be sad, confused or what. 

I am glad to hear you have some flexibility at any rate. 

Could this be construed as evidence that there is no choice other than mandating masks for kids?

Georgia Camp For Kids Had To Shutter Because Of 260 Positive COVID-19 Cases

The YMCA Camp High Harbour required masks for counselors, but was forced to close in June after the outbreak. In the gathering of 344 campers and staff tested, 260 came back positive in the weeks after the camp closed, according to the CDC’s analysis, which was released on Friday. Of that total, children were 168 of the positives, with 51 of the 100 children ages 6 to 10 positive.The overnight camp opened June 21 and closed six days later.

However, they did not mandate mask use for campers.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/georgia-camp-for-kids-shuttered-covid-19-1203001811/

• Sad 2
19 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Parents just want everything to go back to normal. They want to send their kids to school every day, not have to worry about childcare or helping with schoolwork, and don't want to think about how school will be very different with masks and distancing. Unfortunately for all of us, normal isn't one of the options.

Exactly!

I think a lot of people are failing to grasp this concept. 

A pandemic is not a situation for Fake It Til You Make It.

• Like 21
3 hours ago, Kanin said:

This is about the three Arizona teachers who taught summer school, and the one that passed away (thoughts from the superintendent, as told to a journalist):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/01/schools-reopening-coronavirus-arizona-superintendent/?arc404=true&fbclid=IwAR0gnppc-aMDn93Q-zV2ioMRyOmUi_eNnmT7FNQZ52thePKOZvRKtUXSHCQ

I came looking for this thread to post that same article. Really impactful. I think it’s helpful to read from the point of view of a school superintendent who desperately wants the schools to be open and knows that they need to be open. 

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have zero sympathy for people who are just bored and start rationalizing ways to get out and have fun because their personal boredom is just harder to cope with than everyone else's.  No, your whole family does NOT need to be at the grocery store for a change of scenery and , Mom at Wegmans, your 12-year-old is pulling down his mask whenever your back is turned.

Right?! I do have sympathy for people who don’t have good options for doing an errand like that with someone else watching their kids, but if that’s the case, at least put them in masks, and if they’re small enough to ride in the cart and will otherwise be running up and down the aisles touching everything, please put them in the cart! Or even better, in a carrier on your own person. I don’t expect that everyone at the store with their kids is bringing them because it’s totally necessary, though. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is probably something they have planned but I wonder how smooth drop off and pick up will be.  Traffic is bad here in areas due to no one using public transport.  

In much of US “busses” for children means dedicated school busses and no public transport is available.  In many suburbs and cities where there is a public transit option available, bikes may also work for getting to school. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

What's s/e again?

14 minutes ago, kand said:

I do have sympathy for people who don’t have good options for doing an errand like that with someone else watching their kids 

Oddly enough, I never seem to see one parent with kids in the grocery store. If the kids are there, it's the whole family! I really do not understand. Even if there's a weird situation where you're all passing the grocery store on the way home, it seems like it would be so much easier to me for one parent to shop, one parent to have the kids in the car. 

Edited by katilac

Well it's official, for the moment anyway ... my county's schools are going all virtual for the first quarter.  Unless they change it again for the 12th time.

I really don't think this is gonna inspire people to be more careful.  People are beyond done and no matter what they do, crap upon crap happens.

1 hour ago, kand said:

I came looking for this thread to post that same article. Really impactful. I think it’s helpful to read from the point of view of a school superintendent who desperately wants the schools to be open and knows that they need to be open. 

Right?! I do have sympathy for people who don’t have good options for doing an errand like that with someone else watching their kids, but if that’s the case, at least put them in masks, and if they’re small enough to ride in the cart and will otherwise be running up and down the aisles touching everything, please put them in the cart! Or even better, in a carrier on your own person. I don’t expect that everyone at the store with their kids is bringing them because it’s totally necessary, though. 

I'm not even talking about parents with little guys.  Who knows their story and with limited hours they can't always wait for another adult to be available to help if another adult even exists. You can't really leave them home alone when they're little.  I'm seeing full family outings; mom, dad, grandma, and several teen children.  I'm seeing it often enough that it's probably not a one-off thing where they had to stop on the way and it was too hot in the car.  The fewer people in the store the quicker we can all get in and out.

• Like 2

A school system in our region was the first to go back a week or two ago. It was reported they had an elementary student test positive. They didn't shut down the school. They identified and informed those that needed to be tested and/or quarantine. So the idea that the system would shut down with the first positive case didn't come to fruition but the idea that there would be positive cases right away did.

Ours starts Wednesday and our cases are really high, test positivity is really high. I am sure there will be lots of infected people walking through those doors Wednesday. In fact, the teachers are already back and I'm sure there are cases among them. Our infection rate is too high for there not to be. 

I don't see how it is going to work but I sure hope somehow I am wrong and it does. Our town does seem to be willingly and aggressively pursuing herd immunity. Maybe that is the thought? Let them all come in and pass it around and get it over with? I understand that will have poor consequences so I'm not suggesting it but maybe somewhere behind the scenes that is being advocated. 

I've also had the thought that people here are living their lives as normal and ignoring social distancing and masking recommendations so maybe the return to school won't be that big of a shock. All these people have already been living life as normal and surely passing it around for months. Maybe there are more antibodies in the population than one might think. In the past month we have had proms, graduations, volleyball, basketball, and wrestling tournaments, football and soccer summer practices, band camps, mega churches meeting with full choirs and no masks, church camps, VBS, scout camps, big extended family vacations, huge 4th of July parties, big big birthday parties and so on and so on.  Our numbers are bad, as bad as the ones people have been discussing in central florida. But our hospitals say they have capacity and we are not getting horror stories coming out of them. Maybe many of our teachers and students already have immunity even if they didn't know they had Covid? Seems possible at least. We definitely aren't testing alot and there are so many people here that are so skeptical of it all that I don't think most would get tested unless they were extremely ill. So I do think it is possible that our community has had alot of infection for a while. 

• Sad 1