Menu

12 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Honestly, i don't know what so many families, especially low income, are going to do. They tend to have jobs that can't be done remotely, too. Should all of these kids just be put in daycares so that daycare workers get all of the exposure? Should one parent quit a job in order to stay at home? What of the single parents? What of the parents who can't afford to quit? Sure, people can say that this isn't how our society should work, but the reality is that this is how our society works. It's not going to change before school starts.

If education or daycare could be managed outdoors and in smaller groups it could make a huge difference.  

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our society needs kids to be in school.  Our economy sure as hell needs kids in school full time.  Many kids need to be in school, for a wide variety of reasons.   But kids in school is only safe

From my perspective, because of what they've done, crap upon crap happens. Obviously the pandemic itself was out of everyone's control.  But as we have seen around the world, a population's behav

One of our good friends is a family practice physician and they were getting swamped by requests by adults when the mask requirements came out. They got together and unanimously decided their response

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Pen said:

I suggest you get (or get on waiting list) for more than one Happymask  https://www.happymasks.com/

they have been tested as still protective after 50 hand washes per instruction. But more thsn

one could allow a before and after lunch mask. And maybe more than one would allow fewer washes, with airing, and sunshine to let them last longer.  

I wear size large so pretty sure any man also

would 

face shield or other eye protection probably also a good idea 

Already ordered! 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If education or daycare could be managed outdoors and in smaller groups it could make a huge difference.  

Some parts of US will be too cold in parts of winter, but where and when  it can be done, I agree completely.  We might at least be able to get through till late October.   If Denmark kids could bundle up for outdoors school, so probably can much of US.

people complain about it being too hot to do outside school in the south, but having spent my early years in Brazil toward equator without a/c, (and later So Cal without A/c, though it was less hot and humid than Brazil still hot pretty hot), I’m More inclined to think heat is manageable.  Heat had been  managed without indoors a/c for most of human history afaik

19 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That's great, but those options aren't being given to people. They're being given the option of all online for at least another semester and nothing else. I live in CA, and in many areas kids could easily be outside all year (if the schools have enough outdoor space, many don't), but that wasn't given as a choice to people. 

Many low income families have their kids at school during the school day and then for either low-cost or free extended care. 

12 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

That's great, but those options aren't being given to people. They're being given the option of all online for at least another semester and nothing else. I live in CA, and in many areas kids could easily be outside all year (if the schools have enough outdoor space, many don't), but that wasn't given as a choice to people. 

Many low income families have their kids at school during the school day and then for either low-cost or free extended care. 

What they did here was keep schools available for essential workers or those without childcare but allowed/encouraged people who could to stay home.  Obviously things changed and schools reopened as per normal though now they are closed in Vic.  Really this isn’t going to be a one grand solution thing.  It might be a mess of online for some, in class but outdoors when possible for others etc.  I don’t know.  But I’m sure just opening as per normal is possibly better.  Reducing community spread by closing non essential stuff would really have helped but it’s probably too late now.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I am still not sure what y'all think should happen to the kids who would otherwise be in school. But I am not willing to just write them off to distance learning with absentee parents that everyone here would find unacceptable for their own kids, or even if their well meaning neighbor asked about it on a fb post. Most of us here have little to worry about if our kids miss a year of school. That is not the case for a lot of families 

I regret implying that in-person school might be as essential to some kids as nurses, doctors, food supply chain workers, or Wal-Mart. I regret speaking out of turn here or contrary to anything other than the horribleness and hysteria of returning to in person instruction.

You shouldn't regret posting what you believe to be true just because people disagree with you. This is a forum for discussion, with many passionate and opinionated people. 

We, and I daresay almost everyone on this thread, start from the same premise: we are not willing to write these kids off. We veer off sharply when it comes to what we consider the worst way of writing kids off. 

I believe that we should not send kids to school when there is an unacceptable level of danger, and I believe that there is indeed an unacceptable level of danger at many schools (as per their published plans and statements). Never have we ever said it's okay to have kids in a dangerous place because we don't know what else to do with them. 

When a school or a daycare can not or does not provide a safe environment, it is shut down. That should not change now just because the scope of the problem is bigger. The scope of the problem is one of the reasons it might end in disaster. 

That doesn't mean I want students to have a subpar semester or be unsupervised. It means I think that we (as a society) would come up with alternatives if we weren't so willing to cross our fingers and hope for the best. Rather than pressuring districts to open schools when many of them aren't prepared or able to do so in a safe way, I want the government to use my damn tax dollars and show some damn leadership and come up with alternatives. The choice does not have to be between kids under supervised and struggling to learn, or kids in schools unprepared to keep them and their teachers safe. 

I do not believe those are the only two choices, but, of those choices, I think a local community and its students will do better by choosing the subpar semester. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Our district seems to be considering the childcare issue seriously. They are offering 5 day a week school for K-2, and 3 days a week for SN and ESL students. they are exploring community based low cost childcare options according to the q&a. Everyone else choosing the B&M goes two days a week. The health precautions are being pretty seriously considered.

Our district is also offering a virtual option.

• Like 3

Honestly, I'd be okay with school being open for the children of strictly defined essential workers.  But part of my concern is, as soon as schools are open, employers become much less sympathetic to the need for child care.  The answer, in my mind, is society rallies around essential workers (medical professionals, people who run water/ power/ sanitation, grocery store workers, maybe a couple of other industries) and the government pays for people to stay home for 2-3 months.  You know, instead of the interminable military industrial complex and massive corporate welfare and incentives given to the 1% that our taxes currently pay for.  

That's not an option, however.  We have to choose, on Monday, either full time school four days a week (not five, so it doesn't solve anyone's child care needs) at odd start and dismissal times or full time virtual school.  And there's nobody available to answer questions, and there will be no attempts at social distancing.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, katilac said:

come up with alternatives. The choice does not have to be between kids under supervised and struggling to learn, or kids in schools unprepared to keep them and their teachers safe. 

I do not believe those are the only two choices, but, of those choices, I think a local community and its students will do better by choosing the subpar semester. 

I think if kids go to school without measures to keep them and especially their teachers safe, it will end up being subpar . 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, AngieW in Texas said:

It's pretty bad in my local area. We have refrigerated trucks for the bodies that won't fit in the morgues. We have multiple hospitals that are turning everybody away now because they are full. We will be opening the convention center for overflow soon. These are the conditions you open schools in. 

What people don't seem to realize is that the schools would not be able to stay open with infection rates this high. With the levels we have in the community right now, we will have multiple students in every school who are positive and it will be transmitted to others. I doubt that we'd be able to stay open more than 3 weeks before our first shutdown. And then we'll have a while before we are able to open up again because in a lot of cases this does not just run through in 2 weeks. One of our principals got it at the end of spring break helping one of her kids move home from school. She was unable to work for three months and was in and out of the hospital several times.

We won't be able to get substitute teachers. We had a hard time getting sufficient substitutes before. Most of our substitutes and bus drivers are retirees. They will be at high risk.

What we did in the spring was not great. We had to completely shift what we were doing and in my district, we were under a lot of limitations. 

Why not reopen anyway?
In my district, masks are required for staff and for students 10 and up, but they can take them off if they are uncomfortable. No distancing because TEA said every single person who wants in-person can come in person. Distancing and masks "if possible",  "where feasible", "is encouraged". All water fountains are shut off. All students will be seated facing the front with students spaced out as much as possible. Teachers keeping 6 feet away as much as possible. A "limited supply" of masks is available for students who don't have one.

In the crowded conditions at my school, there is not way that we wouldn't get transmission on the very first day. It would just take a while to get to enough people that we would see it.

In class we will be spending 100% of our time working on mask and distancing compliance and get no schoolwork done at all. 

I haven't had anybody that I know personally die, but several of my friends have had people that they know personally die. One of them had two friends who died last week, both under 25yo without underlying conditions.

If you are in Travis County no school will be opening in person until after September 7, at minimum.  (And the article I saw about both refrigerated trucks and convention center mentioned it was "just in case" -- they don't need them now but they want them available if needed. Which means preparing now.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Local School District here just announced "will offer both in-person and online learning opportunities during the 2020-2021 school year.

"In-person learning will allow students to attend school in classrooms with heightened measures of physical distancing and disinfecting. Mask-wearing will also be required. For further information about the precautions proposed, please continue to check the news page. Please remember that plans for the school year may change as conditions and state regulations change.

"Online learning will allow students to access schoolwork and instruction through an online platform. Students will be required to log in daily. Students using this option will have classes that they will participate in live and some instruction will be recorded that students will need to watch. Paper packets without logging in to the virtual class will not be an option for distance learning; however, WiFi hotspots and Chromebooks can be checked out to students.

"Families will also have the option of a hybrid model that allows for students to follow an AB type of schedule where they will be in person on certain days and online on others."

And it looks like they are doing a 4 day schedule, not 5. Glad to hear they are taking care of the WIFI and laptop situation since that's a big barrier in this area. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, happi duck said:

I hadn't heard about Israel.

Ugh.  There's already evidence that opening like normal won't work and so many places are going to do it anyway?!?!??  I wish I was surprised.  The U.S. has made such a mess of this.

Why doesn't anyone understand that we need to contain this thing?  The U.S. is an 80s horror movie and everyone is shouting "don't do that!" because the danger is clear but everything keeps going in the direction of the danger.

A school *is* a different kind of workplace.  It just is.  If schools are vital to the point of recklessly opening then what is going to happen when schools shut down due to outbreaks??  If teachers are sick who'll teach remotely?

This is all so frustrating and terrifying.

Nicely said. 

In my wishful, idealistic way, I keep thinking how much I wish the federal response to COVID had been unified, leadership-based, proactive and wise from March 1st at least, if not before then. I wonder how different we could be looking right now. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, EmseB said:

I am not ignoring people, I have to make, eat dinner, do bedtimes, etc.

My husband is an essential worker who had to go into a congregate living space. It's not that I don't understand the situation. I spoke up here only because I talked to a PS teacher directly whose concerns did not echo what was being said in this thread. Should have known better, I suppose.

Right. And I think where you are and what case numbers look like will influence that. And that in any area some will not be worried, and some will be. I mean, here with record deaths and huge spike in cases some people still are not worried. That doesn't mean they are right not to be concerned though, or that I'm wrong to be concerned. 

9 hours ago, EmseB said:

I am still not sure what y'all think should happen to the kids who would otherwise be in school. But I am not willing to just write them off to distance learning with absentee parents that everyone here would find unacceptable for their own kids, or even if their well meaning neighbor asked about it on a fb post. 

You have not answered what you think should happen to the kids who will get sent home to isolate, over and over again, when a classmate or teacher tests positive. In that case, they will STILL have to find somewhere to go, but instead of a predictable thing it will b short notice, randomly. That seems even harder for parents to deal with, and harder mentally on the kids, and more disruptive. 

As for what I think should happen, my ideal would be beyond most people's comfort zone, which is paying parents to stay home and take care of their own kids until cases are under control. A HARD shut down could do that. But that wont happen. 

So my more practical (also won't happen, but should) idea for hot spots like mine is to make all actual TEACHING virtual, have grades 7-12 be totally off campus. (in less hard hit areas maybe have labs on campus spaced out in small groups). Use all those extra classrooms, and let kids K-6 who have no where else to go, no one at home, come in and do their virtual school in the classroom, in small pods based not on grade level but on sibling groups. That means less exposure since a family is already exposed to itself. Because most kids are home there are more classrooms, and you can get group sizes way down, and distance them better during the day. Because the teaching is virtual you don't need certified teachers for all those small pods of kids, just an aide or something to supervise, answer questions, help with technology, etc. And those aids can bring their own kids, since it isn't grade level dependent. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So at our school board meeting last night, I mostly heard:

1) Our state has low numbers, and our county in particular, so we don't need all these precautions.

2) We're cool with masks on busses and in hallways, but we're uncomfortable with it in the classroom.

3) How will the kids wear masks for 6 hours a day? (Despite the fact that it's been said OVER AND OVER that they'll have many mask breaks.)

4) If restaurants can be open with people not wearing masks, schools should be, too.

5) We get that mask wearing is important, but we just "can't see" how kids will do it. 

6) Desks will only be 3 feet apart, not always 6.

So they're cool with MANY, MANY onerous safety protocols - staggered starts, reduced kids on the bus, keeping kids in "pods" which means kids won't be with a bunch of their friends, eating lunch in classrooms and not in cafeteria with friends, masks on the bus and in the hallways, etc. but masks IN the classroom, where it's most important? That's just TOO MUCH!

The real kicker was that even though the meeting was remote, two board members were in the same room together (why?!), sitting about 5 inches apart. Obviously, they aren't practicing distancing in their everyday lives. UGH.

And yes, our state is doing well relative to other states, but people are still getting sick and dying. And if we put all the teachers and students together in schools all day every day, guess what! We're not distancing anymore. Cases will go up. And then everything everyone's been saying will probably happen... teacher or friend in the hospital or possibly passing away, kids sent home to remote learning unexpectedly, a nightmare for parents....

• Sad 7

Our school board voted last night.  It looks like our district will be making the first nine weeks all virtual.  Areas with poor connectivity will open one school building for kids to be able to access online learning.  After nine weeks, kids will return to classrooms.  I don’t recall the K-8 details, but high school will be two days per week, then intense cleaning for a day, then another group of kids will attend for two days.  Kids will have the option of all virtual school for the year. The rest of the details are a bit of a blur, it was a long meeting!

• Like 6

....and our county just called it: virtual start, no F2F until numbers improve. It looks like all the metro Atlanta counties are falling in line. Phew. It sucks that this is necessary, and I hope it won't be for long, but I'm feeling a whole lot of relief right now. 

• Like 11

I really, really do not understand the argument/excuse that kids can’t learn to wear masks at school.

Kids learn how to wear underwear with itchy labels, how to not kick their shoes off in the grocery cart, how to keep mittens on when it’s cold out, how to cough into their elbow instead of into someone’s face...how are masks different? Unless the adults around them are making them seem scary or difficult, it’s just another benign, now-normal thing to wear for most kids. Goodness, I’d hope they’ve been wearing them for several months now! 

So we make accommodations. We cut out the itchy label, we buy shoes with laces so they are harder to remove, we remind when the elbow trick gets forgotten. But as parents and educators, we don’t just throw up our hands when kids are presented with a new challenge; our job is to help them master it. And we can accommodate masks— if tying one around the head snarls Susies hair, try one with ear loops. Special needs or foreign language students can wear the kind with transparent plastic in front of their mouths. Masks are made in tons of materials, some so soft it’s easy to forget it's even there. 

I do not accept that wearing a piece of fabric over our mouths is the one thing too far beyond what we already require of kids every single day (and all members of our communities, for that matter). It’s a preposterous excuse, really.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11
18 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I do not accept that wearing a piece of fabric over our mouths is the one thing too far beyond what we already require of kids every single day (and all members of our communities, for that matter). It’s a preposterous excuse, really.

Amen sister!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, kokotg said:

....and our county just called it: virtual start, no F2F until numbers improve. It looks like all the metro Atlanta counties are falling in line. Phew. It sucks that this is necessary, and I hope it won't be for long, but I'm feeling a whole lot of relief right now. 

I’m glad for the relief.

what is F2F?

Hot off the presses: Reopening recommendations from the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine. They say that surgical masks for staff and cloth face coverings for ALL KIDs is necessary. They also say that ventilation systems need to be updated, and that federal and state funds must pay for it.

NYT article about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/health/coronavirus-schools-reopening.html

https://www.nationalacademies.org/news/2020/07/schools-should-prioritize-reopening-in-fall-2020-especially-for-grades-k-5-while-weighing-risks-and-benefits

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The counties around me were all going with parent choice, 2 days in person, 3 days at home, push back the start of school until 9/8.  A city within my county decided Monday to break from that and went all virtual to start with a later start date.  My county decided last night to follow suit and went all virtual for the 1st quarter and start of 9/8.

Mine are homeschooled so we are home anyway, but wanted to say what was going on around me.  We are in No. VA.

• Like 6

https://youtu.be/yh9gmca6o_A

If anyone watches this, there is an email for a task force contact that I’d like , and also any contact info for the presenter named, I think, Naomi (1st woman to talk, dark curly hair, glasses).

I want to communicate to them that “outdoors” when possible should be another consideration. 

If anyone catches any of that info, could you tag me with it. 

Edited by Pen

Our local district released their plans and face masks are required for all students and staff at every age level. Exceptions will have to be medically documented and on a case by case basis. They stated teachers could use face shields when they are able to keep a distance if they feel the mask will interfere with instruction. It also stated no student can ride the bus if not masked. All grades will have assigned lunch tables for the entire year. 

It all sounds good and I truly hope it works but our high school is three stories and about three thousand students. It’s so packed so I worry how things will actually play out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I see all kinds of pictures of children in Asian countries wearing masks. 🤔 Surely, children in the United States can learn to do the same. 

48 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I really, really do not understand the argument/excuse that kids can’t learn to wear masks at school.

Kids learn how to wear underwear with itchy labels, how to not kick their shoes off in the grocery cart, how to keep mittens on when it’s cold out, how to cough into their elbow instead of into someone’s face...how are masks different? Unless the adults around them are making them seem scary or difficult, it’s just another benign, now-normal thing to wear for most kids. Goodness, I’d hope they’ve been wearing them for several months now! 

So we make accommodations. We cut out the itchy label, we buy shoes with laces so they are harder to remove, we remind when the elbow trick gets forgotten. But as parents and educators, we don’t just throw up our hands when kids are presented with a new challenge; our job is to help them master it. And we can accommodate masks— if tying one around the head snarls Susies hair, try one with ear loops. Special needs or foreign language students can wear the kind with transparent plastic in front of their mouths. Masks are made in tons of materials, some so soft it’s easy to forget it's even there. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

This is kind of a side question that I'm not sure where to post. Are special classes like art, PE, and music pretty much out this coming school year? Do schools even attempt those virtually? And if they are out for the year in public schools, are homeschoolers exempt too? (Not that I really have to worry about it where I live.)

3 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

I see all kinds of pictures of children in Asian countries wearing masks. 🤔 Surely, children in the United States can learn to do the same. 

Yes. I sometimes wonder if people honestly don’t consider that there’s an entire universe out there beyond this country's borders, and that our ways are often not the only ways nor the best. 
It’s a frightening ignorance if so. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Do room-size air purifiers work?

We were at the oral surgeon yesterday--dd will have wisdom teeth out next week. They have an air purifier in the waiting room and they had another in the exam room we were in. It has a UV light in it to kill viruses as well as a hepa filter and I don't know what all. I found myself wanting one! Do these really work? Oral surgeons obviously have enough money to have one in every room. If they work, schools should have one in every room (I think the ones I saw are about $250, and not sure if that size is big enough for a classroom). It is the nature of my job to move from classroom to classroom (and it's quite possible all teachers are moving this year while students stay put--not sure about that yet). Even so, I could see getting a small one to carry around with me!

If we want to prioritize getting schools open, lets have some federal help paying for equipment to make it as safe as possible. And we're still taking other steps here--hybrid model, desks 6' apart, staff masked and I truly hope they are going to require kids over 11 to mask since that's the state mandate. I don't think it's enough to go back to everyone in the crowded classroom just because there's an air purifier. But it could be a tool in the toolkit.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

This is kind of a side question that I'm not sure where to post. Are special classes like art, PE, and music pretty much out this coming school year? Do schools even attempt those virtually? And if they are out for the year in public schools, are homeschoolers exempt too? (Not that I really have to worry about it where I live.)

I think those could be done virtually.  Just met another piano teacher who's having great success with virtual lessons.  Never even would have thought that possible till dmmetler said she'd been doing it.  Art should be relatively easy to do virtually.  PE - my gym's been virtual all summer, posting daily workouts including live coach-led ones.  

Extracurriculars like marching band and group sports, maybe not so much, but even choirs and orchestras could be managed virtually - not in the same way, but look how many amazing videos of Zoom choirs and orchestras have come out since lockdown.

Things are just.not. going back to normal, no matter how much we want them too.  We need to stop thinking this will 'magically go away' in just a few more weeks, and start doing the hard work of figuring out a best-case scenario.  Which in many cases is virtual.  Virtual can be done right, but it takes planning - and if all we're planning for is F2F, then when schools inevitably go virtual again, it will be another crap shoot instead well-planned.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

We were at the oral surgeon yesterday--dd will have wisdom teeth out next week. They have an air purifier in the waiting room and they had another in the exam room we were in. It has a UV light in it to kill viruses as well as a hepa filter and I don't know what all. I found myself wanting one! Do these really work? Oral surgeons obviously have enough money to have one in every room. If they work, schools should have one in every room (I think the ones I saw are about $250, and not sure if that size is big enough for a classroom). It is the nature of my job to move from classroom to classroom (and it's quite possible all teachers are moving this year while students stay put--not sure about that yet). Even so, I could see getting a small one to carry around with me!

If we want to prioritize getting schools open, lets have some federal help paying for equipment to make it as safe as possible. And we're still taking other steps here--hybrid model, desks 6' apart, staff masked and I truly hope they are going to require kids over 11 to mask since that's the state mandate. I don't think it's enough to go back to everyone in the crowded classroom just because there's an air purifier. But it could be a tool in the toolkit.

I'm not sure how well those work, but you'd probably need something bigger than room-size for a typical classroom, which are much bigger than most 'rooms' those are designed for.

Also, the air has to go through the filter first for it to have any possible effect on a virus, even if it's somehow 100% effective.  So, if there's someone 3 feet away, you're going to breathe in their cloud way before it has any chance to get to a purifier.  Can't believe they're now trying to say 3 feet is suddenly fine for schools... 😡

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

Last Spring, our school definitely did Art and PE virtually.

My son' s band did less (though they tried and HE has continued to practice and keep up private lessons).

My daughter's elementary music had them listening to different pieces adn trying to pick out specific instruments and then recording what time on the video they heard the sound to return. ANd how the music made them feel. How the instrument was being used in the piece.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I don't know, but it seems worth a try to me. I bought one with a hepa filter and a UV light to send off with dd17 to her freshman dorm (always assuming the school actually opens in person). Can't hurt, might help, right?

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

You and me both.

Some kids will have a hard time, yes. Some harder than others. But if all the adults in their lives cheerfully assume this is the new normal*, I think most kids will pick it up easily.

Special needs are a different situation, of course.

In general, though, I think kids can handle this, just like they learn to sit on their spot for circle time and wait for their turn at the play dough.

*I think this is the problem. The adults don't want to accept wearing masks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

I just met with my director this morning to discuss small group, socially distanced, masks required, mostly outdoor music class (Using individual kits, percussion based) that we can offer during the first quarter for kids who are doing the virtual option. We're also trying to offer socially distanced PE and art.  We may end up taking these online if the numbers rise too much, but the goal is to give small groups of kids that "pod" where they might do art, music, and PE each week with the same kids. They've been doing pods for the summer camps the last few weeks, and it seems to be working relatively well-mostly due to having a large, mostly shaded lot where groups can be spread out. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I think those could be done virtually.  Just met another piano teacher who's having great success with virtual lessons.  Never even would have thought that possible till dmmetler said she'd been doing it.  Art should be relatively easy to do virtually.  PE - my gym's been virtual all summer, posting daily workouts including live coach-led ones.  

Extracurriculars like marching band and group sports, maybe not so much, but even choirs and orchestras could be managed virtually - not in the same way, but look how many amazing videos of Zoom choirs and orchestras have come out since lockdown.

Things are just.not. going back to normal, no matter how much we want them too.  We need to stop thinking this will 'magically go away' in just a few more weeks, and start doing the hard work of figuring out a best-case scenario.  Which in many cases is virtual.  Virtual can be done right, but it takes planning - and if all we're planning for is F2F, then when schools inevitably go virtual again, it will be another crap shoot instead well-planned.

The choirs and orchestras aren't playing live. Each musician records their part and the performance is spliced together. Doing live music classes is hard due to lag, so it ends up being more an appreciation class. For my classes this fall, if we have to go virtually, the kids will need to mute their mics, and we'll do a lot of playalongs and stuff like that, but I am really hoping doing it outdoors works for the first quarter, at least. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I don't know, but it seems worth a try to me. I bought one with a hepa filter and a UV light to send off with dd17 to her freshman dorm (always assuming the school actually opens in person). Can't hurt, might help, right?

I think the air refreshers can’t hurt! OP you might want to search “air scrubber,” though no doubt those will be the pricier ones. Product details for any of them should include the amount of cubic air space it can handle. 

I would definitely get one for a kid going to a college dorm, if I had one going this year. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I have one for my in person piano lessons. My studio is about the size of a small bedroom or a really big closet. I am thinking of it more as a way to cycle air between students, since I am placing them 30 minutes apart, but hoping that my Happy Mask and maybe a face shield and students being masked and watching where we put seating is enough to make it OK during lessons (and about 2/3 of my students are staying online). It would be too small for the classrooms, especially since we're using the biggest ones. The city is looking at adding UV to the HVAC in city buildings, but it will involve major retrofitting. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joker said:

Our local district released their plans and face masks are required for all students and staff at every age level. Exceptions will have to be medically documented and on a case by case basis. They stated teachers could use face shields when they are able to keep a distance if they feel the mask will interfere with instruction. It also stated no student can ride the bus if not masked. All grades will have assigned lunch tables for the entire year. 

It all sounds good and I truly hope it works but our high school is three stories and about three thousand students. It’s so packed so I worry how things will actually play out.

What state are you in?

Osterholm from CIDRAP just posted a podcast/video about reopening schools. I’ll be listening as I get some chores done. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

The choirs and orchestras aren't playing live. Each musician records their part and the performance is spliced together. Doing live music classes is hard due to lag, so it ends up being more an appreciation class. For my classes this fall, if we have to go virtually, the kids will need to mute their mics, and we'll do a lot of playalongs and stuff like that, but I am really hoping doing it outdoors works for the first quarter, at least. 

Yeah, I know they're not playing live, but as a class, part of the 'homework' assignments could be to record the pieces solo so they could be put back together.  Other assignments could be figuring out the technology behind putting it together.  For live classes maybe the teacher could take turns working with individual students 1:1.  Just because they can't all play at the same time online doesn't mean the orchesta/choir classes have to be dropped, just reimagined...

1 hour ago, pitterpatter said:

*sarcasm on*

What, and create a bunch of kids primed to be socialist puppets, which is just what members of a certain party want?

*sarcasm off*

That sentiment was widely shared in certain circles early on in all of this. They think it's all just a plot to control the masses and see who falls in line and who doesn't. 

😭🤬🙄

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Ali--https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/can-hepa-air-purifiers-capture-coronavirus/

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

*sarcasm on*

What, and create a bunch of kids primed to be socialist puppets, which is just what members of a certain party want?

*sarcasm off*

That sentiment was widely shared in certain circles early on in all of this. They think it's all just a plot to control the masses and see who falls in line and who doesn't. 

😭🤬🙄

I wonder if we could get a conspiracy theory going that the government doesn't want people to wear masks because then it is harder to track people with facial recognition software. Maybe that's why governors of some states are not allowing local mask requirements - so as better to track people!

LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I wonder if we could get a conspiracy theory going that the government doesn't want people to wear masks because then it is harder to track people with facial recognition software. Maybe that's why governors of some states are not allowing local mask requirements - so as better to track people!

LOL.

OOOOHHH....where’s a Russian troll when you need one! Genius!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

LOL.

I actually saw this one yesterday!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I'm getting ones for both my classrooms.  In addition to the room size, they'll have setting for how quickly they can "clean" the air in a room (CADR).  I'm using them combined with face shields with drapes for teachers, most kids in masks, short classes, cleaning in between, and a few other things but since viral load matters, I feel like the air purifiers can help.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

(And if you're curious as to whether the AI can see past masks...yes: https://www.wired.com/story/algorithms-recognize-masked-face/

And of course it’s China and Russia leading the way! That’s a scary article, if you think about it. My son says the most dominant machine learning conference in the world is basically research papers on facial recognition.

Edited by Dotwithaperiod
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, square_25 said:

It's looking like middle schools were the biggest problem in Israel, maybe not very surprisingly: 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/israeli-data-show-school-openings-were-a-disaster-that-wiped-out-lockdown-gains

As the article says, middle-schoolers aren't obedient, and are also not in the age group that don't spread the virus easily. 

I had heard about problems in Israel, but hadn't looked into it much until the other night....and then I was like, "umm, how are we not all talking about this when we talk about reopening schools?!" 

• Like 5