Menu

What are your rules for a 16 year old driver

DawnM

Rules for what, exactly?

In my state, a new driver under 18 has to wait half a year or so before they can drive anyone else (except family members). So no new teen drivers driving with other teens. 👍. I think there are laws about new drivers not being able to drive in the middle of the night or something, but those don’t apply to DS so I haven’t paid much attention. I like the rules my state has in place.

We don’t have a curfew or anything because DS doesn’t go out. He’s had his license for a year and has never driven anyone else, I don’t think, even though he could. He’s not a social type.

I've only had two 16-yd-olds so far. The rules are more for borrowing our family vehicle  (must ask first, refuel it before bringing back if you used a bunch of gas for your own trip). Our state has more rules for the driver, like @MEmama's, so we didn't have any of those.

The usual kid rules apply -- tell me where you are going, who with, when you'll be home. But those aren't tied to driving -- just common courtesy of going out.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Pretty much the same as everyone else.  Our state has restrictions on drivers for several months. Our basic rules are follow the law and let us know your plans.  One thing we do ask is the route they are taking (especially if it after dark).  There could be several ways to get to Wal-Mart, for instance, and if they get in a wreck this would give us a clue to help figure out where they are.  We live in the country and Wal-mart is an hour away, so if they hit a deer on a long stretch of highway in the dark they could get flustered and not know exactly where they are.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We never had any beyond obey all laws (including those that apply to newly licensed drivers) and let us know where you're going and when to expect you home.

And don't bring any car--even your own--home with a near empty gas tank.

Definitely these. 

I also tell our drivers that driving is a privilege. We pay for that privilege - vehicles, gas, and insurance. In return they are expected to chauffeur their siblings and run errands for me without complaint.

They are expected to have gainful employment which they are to use for their personal expenses. We cover all the same expenses as before, but they cover their increased socialization costs.  My kids work during the summer and use those earnings throughout the school year. 

My state has some restrictions for the first 6 mos - limits on passengers under 21 (other than siblings) and no driving after midnight. 

Obviously, never get behind the wheel if you drink or use drugs. I guess my biggest rule is to communicate with me about where you are and when you'll be home. My first driver is well behaved and trustworthy so I haven't felt the need to make any other rules. She has her own car and pays for her own gas, more rules would probably need to be in place if she was driving a family vehicle.

14 minutes ago, Danae said:

For the first six months NO other teens/kids in the car without a parent, not even siblings. The data on this is very clear, and the only reason restricted license provisions make exceptions for siblings is that parents don’t support them otherwise. 

Just curious how you handle this with several teens ...

I had 3 teens (well, 2 and an almost teen) when my oldest got his license and if they were all 3 going somewhere (like a church youth group function) I would have had to drive the other 2 separately if I wanted to enforce this.

My kids have to pay their own increased insurance costs. They are welcome to use family vehicles but parental needs/wants come before their wants. And if you have a job, you;d better be saving up for your own car or have purchased a car because parents get grumpy when they can't use their car because it's always at someone's workplace. My two older kids both paid for their own cars and as a result took excellent care of their vehicles. They were also so proud of themselves for saving up that much money and taking care of this first "grownup" purchase.

We've not had problems with tickets, but if that were something that happened, the kid would have to pay for their ticket, and if it was a constant problem, we;d be probably limiting driving.

No big mobs of kids in the car until they're more experienced, regardless of the restrictions on the license. (Our state has a graduated licensure system, which is excellent, but if my kid hasn't done a ton of driving during their restricted period, I'm not going to allow them to drive with the distractions of extra kids till *I* feel good about it.)

They still need to ask permission/discuss plans with parents. This includes Where are you going, who is going to be there, when will you get home...etc. 

I have one driver still at home and she does help with some driving. However, her two siblings are 12 and 15 and sometimes can be going through a hard phase. I don't require her to drive them when they are being punky to her. That's not fair to my dd to have to chauffeur a sibling with a sorry attitude. This means that sometimes the sibling can't go to an activity because they won't get along with my driving dd and I may not be available to drive. So...they get a "stop being punky because you can't do fun things if you tick off the drivers in the family." lecture.

Of course we follow our state's laws:  Driving is prohibited from midnight to 5am for first 6 months unless accompanied by guardian or to and from a job, or to and from school if school does not provide transportation;  Only one person under age 20 is allowed for the first 6 months unless accompanied by guardian;  only 3 passengers under 20 during the second 6 months (siblings are exceptions to both);  absolutely no cell phone use, even hand's free, under age 18;  no drinking any amount of alcohol before driving under age 21.

Our added rules:  Keep the car clean, fill up the gas tank whenever it's under (I can't remember what we said...  1/4 tank? l/2 tank?  We paid for their gas then), classical music only while driving.  (The last one started as kind of a joke but evolved into what our kids mostly did, although we weren't so strict about that one!  :))  

16 year olds.  Here there are state laws as well.

No driving friends for the first six months. ever.  I live near the high school - I've seen some pretty darn scary teen drivers - all had friends in their car.

I didn't really add extra rules, because  I didn't let them even get a license until I felt comfortable with how they drove.   

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

Of course we follow our state's laws:  Driving is prohibited from midnight to 5am for first 6 months unless accompanied by guardian or to and from a job, or to and from school if school does not provide transportation;  Only one person under age 20 is allowed for the first 6 months unless accompanied by guardian;  only 3 passengers under 20 during the second 6 months (siblings are exceptions to both);  absolutely no cell phone use, even hand's free, under age 18;  no drinking any amount of alcohol before driving under age 21.

Our added rules:  Keep the car clean, fill up the gas tank whenever it's under (I can't remember what we said...  1/4 tank? l/2 tank?  We paid for their gas then), classical music only while driving.  (The last one started as kind of a joke but evolved into what our kids mostly did, although we weren't so strict about that one!  :))  

Wow, ours is 9pm-5am.

1 minute ago, kdsuomi said:

Our state has restrictions similar to those listed, but they're for the first 12 months of driving. The night driving restriction is 11pm-5am, and I believe the 11 is because of teens having jobs. 

ours has stipulations for jobs.  
But honestly, I have never heard of a teen getting pulled over and ticketed after 9pm unless they are doing something they shouldn't be doing.

So, a lot of you don't have extra rules.  We have a few, one of which is to have your Life 360 on so we know where you are.   We did NOT have this stipulation with our current 20 year old, but he is a very different kid.  

We don't do a lot beyond what is on the provisional license they get, and expect them to follow the traffic laws.

They have to ask before using the car.  We own the car, not them, so they have to ask.  Some things are understood, like if they have a job and it is on the calendar then it is an understood they need the car.  They need to keep gas in it.  They need to let us know when it is close to needing an oil change.  I figure this is a life skill they need to learn to pay attention to.  And they have to keep their grades up if they are in school so that we can get an insurance discount or if not they are expected to pay the difference.

Other than the ones already mentioned here (permission to use car, telling us where he's going and when he'll be back, following all laws), cell phones are never to be used when driving. If he gets a call or text or needs to call or text, he's required to find a safe place to stop first.