Menu

Civics Movie - Propaganda/Media

Can anyone recommend a movie which focuses on the topic of elections/politics and the use of propaganda and interest groups? Fine tuning my Civics course for the coming semester...

Thanks!

Edit to add: Steering away from rated R movies - language, adult content, etc.

Edited by BakersDozen

I can't think of a film that contains ALL of those elements: elections + propaganda + interest groups. And even if just focusing on one element in a movie, most of the films I'm coming across as I search are R-rated.

In case you decide to split out your subject into 3 topics, here is a documentary on interest groups from Annenberg Learner: Democracy in America series #14: Interest Groups: Organizing to Influence.

I do think propaganda is a big topic and very worth studying first as its own subject, before then looking at how it specifically is used in politics -- usually on the public to sway public opinion, and not so much by interest groups to sway politicians. Supporting votes, money, perks, and power are more frequently among the tools used by interest groups to sway politicians. JMO.

• Like 1

The American President touches somewhat on interest groups related to an election.  There are language issues in the movie, however.  I don't remember if there were any scenes with adult content.

For some reason the first movie I thought of was The Truman Show.  I'm not sure why, maybe because of the media/control aspect.

For some reason the first movie I thought of was The Truman Show.  I'm not sure why, maybe because of the media/control aspect.

Ah, I love that movie!! I actually use it for our study on film.

I use The American President for older high school students - another favorite of mine.

• Like 1