Menu

Dishwasher lifespan

Ausmumof3

I’m currently doing a repair or replace decision process on the dishwasher.  Just wondering what people’s dishwasher life spans have been roughly and how many times a day it runs.  Our model asko I supposedly good for 13 years but then only 5000 washes.  Ours runs at least twice daily so although it’s only 7 years old I’m guessing it may have had its life?  

My dish washer is an awesome, workhorse! I love my dishwasher ❤️

It is 20 years old and runs at least one load per day. That is a a minimum of 7300 loads. We barely scrape dishes, and don't rinse unless there are is something dried on/stuck to the plate like dried eggs. They come out sparkling clean.  It is the one appliance I would rather pay to fix than to replace, even if fixing it cost more than a new one. 

• Like 2

We've been in our house 22 years.  We are on our third dishwasher.  The first lasted 11 years, the second lasted 5 years and the Bosch we currently have has been in for 6 years and still going strong.  Currently we run on average 3 loads a day, 7 days a week.  I'm sure it's run over 5,000 loads already

• Like 1

Mine only lasted 7.  My washing machine has managed 13 so far with one repair and the dryer 10 but it is showing signs of age.  The Dishwasher always had this thing where if you didn't open the door within about 10 minutes it would start again so it did way more loads than it should have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tap said:

My dish washer is an awesome, workhorse! I love my dishwasher ❤️

It is 20 years old and runs at least one load per day. That is a a minimum of 7300 loads. We barely scrape dishes, and don't rinse unless there are is something dried on/stuck to the plate like dried eggs. They come out sparkling clean.  It is the one appliance I would rather pay to fix than to replace, even if fixing it cost more than a new one. 

I want to ask what it is but I’m pretty sure the new version won’t be so amazing anyway!

This dishwasher was here when we moved in 17 years ago. We only run it once a day, on average and that's been our average for at least 12 years (5 kids, but now only 4 live here). It probably had limited duty with the retired couple who were here when the house was built in the 90s.

I have read that lifespans are much shorter now so I'd try to fix yours vs replace, as long as you've generally liked it. We bought a replacement bottom tray off eBay a couple years ago due to so many of the times breaking off the oroginal. Figured we extended its life another five years ($200 tray- but worth it!) if it held up mechanically.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m currently doing a repair or replace decision process on the dishwasher.  Just wondering what people’s dishwasher life spans have been roughly and how many times a day it runs.  Our model asko I supposedly good for 13 years but then only 5000 washes.  Ours runs at least twice daily so although it’s only 7 years old I’m guessing it may have had its life?  

I have a 12-year old inexpensive Amana that runs 10-12 times a week. It’s still going strong. I’d like to replace it with something quieter, but not before I run it into the ground. 

• Like 2

About 10 years. We purchase a top-of-the-line Bosch, and run it 2 to 3 times every single day.  We just replaced our dishwasher a few months ago. My husband is very handy so he had been able to repair the old one twice for just the cost of parts, but it finally gave out. We choose to spend about $900-$1100 each time we buy dishwasher because we run them so hard. 

Edited by Shellydon
  • Thanks 1

My first dish washer lasted 17 years. It was the standard builder model...so nothing fancy. My second dishwasher is on its last legs at three. One problem is that repairs are so expensive--that the cost of a new one is quite comparable. I do not buy the expensive models, though. So that could be part of the issue. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, umsami said:

My first dish washer lasted 17 years. It was the standard builder model...so nothing fancy. My second dishwasher is on its last legs at three. One problem is that repairs are so expensive--that the cost of a new one is quite comparable. I do not buy the expensive models, though. So that could be part of the issue. 

Nope.

I had a builder GE last, and a GE profile (when it was their top of the line before their cabinet face) last.  (I was really sorry to see that one go . . . . )

My high end (not cheap) kitchen aid (didn't clean worth beans) didn't last very long.

I do love my higher end bosch . . . (had it a year.)

• Like 2

We run our dishwasher 3 times a day....with 6 eaters it fills entirely after a meal.  Lifespan has varied....I expect at least 5 years out of one, but would be disappointed if it gave up the ghost before 10,  and hope it will run forever. AFA repairs go, it really depends on what component has failed. Latches, seals, drain pumps and fill valves are generally things I will pay to repair (or repair myself---in the US we have something called repairclinic.com. It has videos on how to make the repairs, and a very good parts ordering store). If it's a more expensive repair in a less trustworthy brand, then I'd replace.  Asko isn't as popular here in the US (Euro import prices) but it's considered a premium dishwasher here--on par with Miele and Bosch.  I'd probably seriously consider repairing if the racks and interior and other parts were still in good repair.

• Like 1

Our last 2 only lasted 6-7 years.  We probably also do 10-12 loads per week, maybe on the heavier side since covid days started.  Very frustrating but they make them to die faster these days.  We got a Bosch earlier this year, I hope we have better luck with this one.  

• Like 1

Newer ones die much faster than old ones.  We have one that is 23 years old that sounds like a dying garbage truck that I just paid someone to repair because I think we will get another 10 years out of it, and way less from a brand new one.  The repair guy walked us through which used part to buy on eBay because the thing is so old the manufacturer doesn’t make spare parts for it anymore.  Now the soap dispenser doesn’t open, so I have switched to liquid detergent, but still, I’d do it again tomorrow.  The new ones just don’t last, the cycles take forever, and they are not as self-cleaning as the old ones because they use so little water.

• Like 1

We built this house fifteen years ago, I think. We are on dishwasher #3. 😒 I blame our well water. We pretty much run it once a day.

ETA: The one we had in our house (built in the 70s) when I was a child was replaced for the first time when I was in junior high/high school. And, that was only because it was goldenrod in color. It still worked fine. My mother no longer lives in that house, so I don't know how the second one did.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

Oh, this is funny. My grandparents' kitchen was avocado green too. My parents and grandparents built their houses at the same time on the same road. 😁 My mom went for goldenrod and my grandma avocado. Hah!

7 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Good old goldenrod. Our kitchen was that color when I was a kid! My grandmothers was avocado green. Man I hope those colors never come back. 

9 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

We built this house fifteen years ago, I think. We are on dishwasher #3. 😒 I blame our well water. We pretty much run it once a day.

ETA: The one we had in our house (built in the 70s) when I was a child was replaced for the first time when I was in junior high/high school. And, that was only because it was goldenrod in color. It still worked fine. My mother no longer lives in that house, so I don't know how the second one did.

Oh yes we are on rainwater and have a pump with inconsistent pressure.  I didn’t factor that in!