Menu

Bible as high school credit?

If you are a Christian, did you count a Bible as an elective for high school?  Did you count it every year?  If you have a cover/umbrella school, do they require it? We use a cover school, but they don’t set hard, fast rules on what courses students should take.  Dd is hoping to go to a private Christian college next year, so on one hand it might look good to have 4 years of Bible on her transcript, but on the other hand, I don’t want to look like I’m padding her transcript or making it look odd with too many courses.  She has done enough to count it, but I’m trying to decide if I should.

• Like 1

Yes, we've counted Religion or Theology as a credit, and, yes, every year.  We're not under an umbrella school, just what is required by our state for graduation.

Think of private Catholic schools. They have 4 years of religion. Not all 4 years are Old or New Testament, but they use the other years to round out the study of their faith.  

• Like 1

The umbrellas in our are seem to require 1/2 credit each year, for a total of 2 credits.  I've wondered how it works at their schools - do they go do chapel/Bible class 30 minutes a day for a shorter period, or maybe 2-3 days/week alternating with some other 1/2 credit requirement like PE or personal finance?  

We count 1/2 credit Bible Survey.  If we ever do more for "school" I would count it, too.  (We encourage personal devotions, but not formal study.)  It made no difference to my ds who applied--he got into every Christian college he applied to.  Most of their students are public schooled after all.  He also got into the secular schools he applied to.  The above posters are right.  Colleges see lots of Catholic school students with a lot of theology on their transcripts.  Do what works for you and what seems fair to your dd.

Edited by freesia
crazy returns
  • Like 1

Bible colleges and Christian colleges will also be used to students from public schools where Bible classes most likely are not going to be on transcript.

What I did with a cover school that does NOT require any Bible for graduation requirements:  oldest 9th grade Old Testament, 10th Grade New Testament.  11th grade: comparing worldviews. each was year long class.  12th grade looks like a semester of "spiritual disciplines".  Middle gal OT, NT, and semester of worldview.  Youngest: I gave her 1 credit of Bible Study Survey over the years because she read her Bible everyday on her own and all of that. I just never got around to doing a full class as a school class with her. Needed the elective.

oldest ended up at a Catholic university (we're protestant) and having those high school courses helped her have easy A's in the two required "religious studies" courses there.  They didn't require Bible study, but religion.  and she took OT overview, and world religions.  Funny story with world religions that has nothing to do with anything the OP asked. It was a summer course and professor had field trip planned to visit various large congregations of major faiths in the area.  The field trip to the Jewish Temple (large Reform one) had to be canceled for reasons.  My oldest asked professors if she could text her Orthodox friend from her gaming community and see if they could visit his synagogue.    yep, that field trip happened and professor made a new connection.  little extra credit for her that course.  LOL. 

but yeah, to answer question, personally we wanted to do Bible every year and yes, it went in elective category in the years we did it.  I gave the titles I gave to reflect what was studied. Didn't matter for admissions. Helped with oldest with her Gen Ed Religious Studies (diversity) requirements.  Help middle gal with an independent sociology of Jewish food course (at a non religious university).   thanks for trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cbollin said:

Bible colleges and Christian colleges will also be used to students from public schools where Bible classes most likely are not going to be on transcript.

What I did with a cover school that does NOT require any Bible for graduation requirements:  oldest 9th grade Old Testament, 10th Grade New Testament.  11th grade: comparing worldviews. each was year long class.  12th grade looks like a semester of "spiritual disciplines".  Middle gal OT, NT, and semester of worldview.  Youngest: I gave her 1 credit of Bible Study Survey over the years because she read her Bible everyday on her own and all of that. I just never got around to doing a full class as a school class with her. Needed the elective.

oldest ended up at a Catholic university (we're protestant) and having those high school courses helped her have easy A's in the two required "religious studies" courses there.  They didn't require Bible study, but religion.  and she took OT overview, and world religions.  Funny story with world religions that has nothing to do with anything the OP asked. It was a summer course and professor had field trip planned to visit various large congregations of major faiths in the area.  The field trip to the Jewish Temple (large Reform one) had to be canceled for reasons.  My oldest asked professors if she could text her Orthodox friend from her gaming community and see if they could visit his synagogue.    yep, that field trip happened and professor made a new connection.  little extra credit for her that course.  LOL. 

but yeah, to answer question, personally we wanted to do Bible every year and yes, it went in elective category in the years we did it.  I gave the titles I gave to reflect what was studied. Didn't matter for admissions. Helped with oldest with her Gen Ed Religious Studies (diversity) requirements.  Help middle gal with an independent sociology of Jewish food course (at a non religious university).   thanks for trip down memory lane.

Do you mind me asking what you used for OT, NT and worldviews?

My kids are doing The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study for now, but I am not sure what we will do when we finish. I do own Starting Points (worldview primer) as well.

16 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Do you mind me asking what you used for OT, NT and worldviews?

My kids are doing The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study for now, but I am not sure what we will do when we finish. I do own Starting Points (worldview primer) as well.

We used MFW's built in stuff those years.  So it was all blended in there.  The OT was mostly entire OT scheduled readings along with some questions from some book (forgot the title by now) and some resources.  NT was similar idea to read through whole thing.  Worldviews was mostly from Thinking Iike a Christian (and some other books). 

• Like 1

We are counting 4 years of Bible. 9th grade we called it "Theology I: Ancient World" (a part of the Omnibus 1 course. 10th grade- Theology 2: Theological Foundations -- a course I am putting together of hermeneutics, doctrine, and apologetics. 11th and 12th she will take Old Testament and New Testament Survey online through Dual Enrollment. 

• Like 2