Menu

Changes now that Dad/Mom is home more

What, if any, changes are you making to your school plans due to your spouse working from home? 

For example, I'm pondering if we should ditch the plan to study the Ancients for history and instead spend the year doing a Guest Hollow's Geography program and incorporating Dad into it more because it's a topic that he'd enjoy.    I'm also thinking about making Morning Time more consistent and scheduling it at a time convenient for Dad to attend.

Anybody else chewing over this?

• Like 1

Dad is home more but working as much or more. We have always had breakfast together, now we occasionally eat lunch and/or dinner together, but that is as far as it will go. That said, I did try to get him to read Spark this month along with my high schoolers and me. He seems interested, but hasn't started. I'm ok if he reads it or doesn't, but generally it is better all around if I don't make specific plans involving him. It is probably for the better because I like to be in control and he likes things to be complete and correct. Gives the kids practice with reading silent body language of impatience and frustration. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dad is officially working at home full time now.  He stays in his office and can't interact with us when he is on the phone, so in essence nothing will change.  We will have the extra interruption of him coming out at various times for breaks and lunches.  But I think I can handle that.  It is nice to have the extra time from not having to commute to work and the less laundry since he isn't wearing business casual half the day and jeans/t-shirt the other half.  I guess I could now actually use the threat, "wait until your father goes on break". 

Edited by smfmommy
Bad grammar
  • Like 1

The main difference for us has been that we now go for a 2 mile run every morning as a family. DC either run with us or scoot on the scooter. We also go for a 1 mile walk in the afternoon. It’s actually been really nice to do it together as a family! The kids can’t be in swim team this year because of COVID, so running / scooting is now PE. 

otherwise DH is holed up in the garage-turned office. We have a sign on the door that he turns red if he’s not to be disturbed, yellow if a quick question is ok, green if the kids are welcome to bother him.

• Like 2

Back before DSs graduated from homeschool, DH was involved. In the elementary grades, about 2-3x/month, I would leave the schedule and materials all set up and DH and DSs would do school together. In some of the middle/high school years, DH oversaw one course that was his specialty to do with DSs. In both cases, DH and DSs had a lot of fun doing something special together.

And re: Geography vs. History... When DSs were 7th & 8th grades, we set aside the chronological history study for a year of World Cultures/Geography & Comparative Religions, with the focus on Eastern Hemisphere nations. It was great to be able to focus on parts of the world that contain 4/5ths of the world's population, and that also tend to be ignored by high school Western Civ.-focused History. And it was a great break from History, a fantastic study, and a terrific foundation for understanding History when we returned to that topic the following year, as location and geographic elements, as well as religion and worldview, really sway political-social-economic decisions that drive a country's history.

As a result of our experiences, I would vote that if DH would be interested, and would be willing/able to commit to several times a week to do it, then yes, I'd switch Social Studies from History to Geography, and have a great year exploring the world! 😄 

BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:16 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Dad is working 12 hour days. I am not trying to include him more. I am making decisions to lighten my own teaching load because my personal workload has increased....choosing less intensive materials so I have some hope of keeping the housework and meals going.

15 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I don't know. I'm just trying to keep my head above water.  I'm not asking my husband to participate in homeschooling because he won't have time. 

I'm sorry to hear that both of you are in a stressful season!  I hope that you find your new normal quickly and without much heartache.  ❤️  Don't be afraid to vent or ask for advice here on the boards!

On 7/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, CuriousMomof3 said:

I am reading this with interest, because we're still sorting out our plans here.  We are switching roles, I'm going back to work, albeit online, and DH will be staying home.  Since I've done the vast majority of homeschooling, this will be an interesting change.

Honestly, I don't really know what we're doing yet though.  

I had forgotten about your role reversal!  You'll have to give us an update on how it's going/went!  Best of luck to all of you!

On 7/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, SusanC said:

It is probably for the better because I like to be in control and he likes things to be complete and correct. Gives the kids practice with reading silent body language of impatience and frustration. 😂

🤣 This is true in our household too.  You are very wise, friend!!!  😁

• Haha 1

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

I am due back August 3rd.  I had hoped to spend the summer months getting ready, and teaching my DH how to homeschool, and getting ahead so they had less curriculum to get through.

The universe had other plans.  

Tell your DH that he's got this and that he can always turn to the hive for help!  🙂

My DH is a programmer so he sits in our office all day at a computer. Each of my three kids have a small desk in the office as well, so I can set them up in there with computers or coloring or something and I can watch a movie or take a nap.  🙂

Sometimes I can set up just my toddler in the office with Dad and then "sneak" science experiments with my older two in the kitchen, stuff I can't do very well with a toddler in the mix.

My DH doesn't seem to mind being interrupted occasionally with his work, so he does answer questions and help occasionally when the kids are doing schoolwork at their desks, because he's right there. That's not something we planned, though it does help me and he's a bit more connected with what the kids are doing.

The kids are getting a better idea of what adult level programming actually looks like just from watching lines of codes on four computer screens, lol.

• Like 1