Menu

When your curriculum uses a book they've already read

If you are using a curriculum, and it uses a book that your child has already read (either for school or fun), do you:

1. have them read it again
  2. choose another book to replace just that one
  3. choose an entirely new curriculum that you don't have to adapt 

I'm just curious how others approach this.  Two different programs I'm considering use The Hobbit as a high school study -- and many hs'ers I know read that well before HS. 😉

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Depends on the circumstance.

If it's a book to go along with history or science, or is a solo reading book (not being analyzed), and it was read within a few years of the curriculum, unless the student wants to re-read, then I would either skip the book or replace it with something else.

But it sounds like the book is part of a Literature program where it will be "dug into" and analyzed, and the previous reading was just for fun. In that case, I would re-read -- unless the student passionately hated the book.

Reading for fun or as a read-aloud is very different than analyzing/discussing literature. Familiarity with a book from a previous reading actually helps a student dig deeper into the work because they already are familiar with plot and characters; now they can look at language, literary elements at work, and themes and "big ideas" within the work. They can also see how a work fits into the author's body of literature, or how the author's time/place influences what ideas are in the work.

I've had students in my co-op classes tell me how much more they got out of the book with a second reading. JMO. 😉 

Just to reassure you, there is plenty of meat for chewing on with The Hobbit as a high school literature choice. I have used The Hobbit as one of the works for a 9th grade/advanced 8th grade Lit. & Comp. co-op class in a 4-week study. We covered:
- literature topics: the fantasy genre; the epic hero/epic conventions; journey to the underworld; Tolkien: bio and his ideas about Christian fantasy
- literary elements: setting; character; theme; suspense; foreshadowing; figurative language; conflict
- other discussion points: humor; song/poetry; key quotations; analysis of 2-3 characters

BEST of luck, whatever you decide to do. 😄 

PS -- Just adding: if you DID study or dig into The Hobbit prior to high school, then consider substituting another book if you otherwise really like the literature program.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1