Menu

Guaranteeing my dd's apartment rental -- advice?

saw

DD is off to med school in August and is renting an apartment with three other students she does not know from before. Apparently all the parents are being asked to guarantee payment of rent, and I'm okay with guaranteeing DD's portion of the rent but not anyone else's. The landlord also wants a lot of info from me: tax returns, W2s, paystubs, letter from my employer, bank statements, passport, etc. I have not rented in the US in ages. I don't even have a W2 because I'm not in the US. Is this kind of request normal? I really don't want to give all that personal info to a random stranger. Argh. Any tips on how to help DD get an apartment without giving out all of my identifying information? What should I watch out for when co-signing the lease? 

18 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

You need to make sure that each roommate has their own lease.  That way you are only co-signing for your DD's lease, and not for the entire lease.    

There can be a risk in doing this.  If the landlord is renting a third of an apartment to each person, what happens if one of those three leaves or is evicted?  Does the landlord have the ability to rent the remaining third of the apartment to whomever the landlord chooses?  

Is this a student-apartment building, a general apartment complex, or an individual who is renting an apartment they own?  This may have an impact on the information they want.  The last time I rented, the owner used a third-party credit company.  I provided information to that company who ran a credit check, so that none of my personal financial information was given directly to the landlord.  I would find requesting a passport odd in that many US citizens don't have a passport; I have seen that as a list of possible documents to prove your identity, but not as a required document. 

• 6 months later...

Opps... old thread, lol. I'm sure the apartment has been rented!

We have a rental. We have background checks done through a service. We never see anyone's private documents. We do see their credit score and such.

Around campuses, it is common to have rental agreements set up per individual. Make sure that is what is the lease is before going forward.

Edited by MamaSprout