Menu

Any new unschooling resources out there?

I unschooled my big kids until jr high and my Littles  started public school. We are going back to homeschooling the Littles at least till Covid is under control in a year or two (I hope!). I’m currently teaching public school.

just wondering if there are new resources (books, websites, etc) out there for unschoolers- I have the old ones 🙂

Just in case I need some inspiration!

How about bloggers? Again I know the old timers (actually maybe they don’t post anymore since their kids are grown too!)

We will actually probably do a mix of unschooling and curriculum because I think I do want them to at least do the grade level math Concepts and the sight words from the ELA curriculum their school uses since I plan to send them back eventually. 
At least I still own all. the. Stuff. (Well, most of it)

thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I unschooled my big kids until jr high and my Littles  started public school. We are going back to homeschooling the Littles at least till Covid is under control in a year or two (I hope!). I’m currently teaching public school.

just wondering if there are new resources (books, websites, etc) out there for unschoolers- I have the old ones 🙂

Just in case I need some inspiration!

How about bloggers? Again I know the old timers (actually maybe they don’t post anymore since their kids are grown too!)

We will actually probably do a mix of unschooling and curriculum because I think I do want them to at least do the grade level math Concepts and the sight words from the ELA curriculum their school uses since I plan to send them back eventually. 
At least I still own all. the. Stuff. (Well, most of it)

thanks!

Sue Elvis?  She has a blog and there are interviews of her online on various websites.  Her kids sound incredible.

https://www.storiesofanunschoolingfamily.com

I've always been fascinated with unschooling and I suspect our family would've done wonderfully with it.  I just could never find anyone else who unschools, etc...no online support of any kind...so we never made the leap.  I also could not get past the how to do transcripts/high school credits thing in my mind (if you're an unschooler).

There was another unschooling family that sounded incredible - and she had a blog.  Her kids ended up going to college and one became an attorney....anyway, she took her blog down after they graduated.  ☹️

I thought about unschooling ds5 this fall, but unschooling during a pandemic would be hard, I think.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Evanthe said:

I just could never find anyone else who unschools, etc...no online support of any kind...so we never made the leap.  I also could not get past the how to do transcripts/high school credits thing in my mind (if you're an unschooler).

I started hsing in 1982. No Internet. No online. One neighbor who unschooled. BUT John Holt's books and newsletter (Growing Without Schooling), and those were inspiring enough. Some of those may still be available in actual libraries; and today there is still an online presence of John Holt and GWS.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I started hsing in 1982. No Internet. No online. One neighbor who unschooled. BUT John Holt's books and newsletter (Growing Without Schooling), and those were inspiring enough. Some of those may still be available in actual libraries; and today there is still an online presence of John Holt and GWS.

I used to have a huge stack of Grown Without Schooling but gave those away years ago. They were so fun to read.

I guess I really don’t need inspiration per se, but am curious about more current unschoolers.

it will be different without co op group and field trips but we have a home full of interesting stuff to discover and the internet with tons of resources for elementary ages now 

• Like 1