Menu

Conceptual Academy

Has anyone used Conceptual Academy for Physics or Chemistry?

I'm happy to help with labs and such but I'm curious if it works more independently without being just boring which is what happens if they just do a curriculum typically. Work is ok but I'm not a fan of tediousness. 

I think if it is purely conceptual we will add unit conversion practice and algebra based problem solving.  I'm looking for more of a intro for a ninth grader.  He can take a trig based class later. It would be even better if it had a little math practice to get used to it but if it is interesting and well done, I can add that. 

Would love to hear reviews from people who have tried it. 

I haven't used it, but have you looked at GPB's physics?  I used it with my college freshman and I am currently using it with my 9th grader. (We have already started our school yr.) I am using their older videos bc they cover both mechanics and E&M and I have the TMs (IIRC, the teacher's materials were something like $20 or $30. THe videos are free.)  The videos are easy to incorporate with any standard physics textbook. (You could use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics.  That is what I have opted to use with my 9th grader this yr.) We do some of the labs physically and some of them we just do virtually.  https://www.gpb.org/physics-fundamentals/episodes/physics/semester1

They have a newer version of their videos.  I have not looked at them, so I can't compare.  I suspect the new videos probably align with the yr of mechanics and a yr of EM, but that is purely specutlation on my part.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I haven't used it, but have you looked at GPB's physics?  I used it with my college freshman and I am currently using it with my 9th grader. (We have already started our school yr.) I am using their older videos bc they cover both mechanics and E&M and I have the TMs (IIRC, the teacher's materials were something like $20 or $30. THe videos are free.)  The videos are easy to incorporate with any standard physics textbook. (You could use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics.  That is what I have opted to use with my 9th grader this yr.) We do some of the labs physically and some of them we just do virtually.  https://www.gpb.org/physics-fundamentals/episodes/physics/semester1

They have a newer version of their videos.  I have not looked at them, so I can't compare.  I suspect the new videos probably align with the yr of mechanics and a yr of EM, but that is purely specutlation on my part.

Just watched some of those videos and they look really well done also. Thanks!