Menu

Have any WTMers been sick with Covid? (anonymous poll)

Garga

Do/did you have Covid?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do/did you have Covid?

• I officially tested positive for Covid
    • I did not test positive for Covid but I had enough symptoms that I’m 99% sure I had it
    • I got better in 3 weeks or less
    • I got better, but it took longer than 3 weeks
    • It’s been less than 3 weeks and I’m still sick, so I don’t know when I’ll be better
    • It’s been more than 3 weeks and I’m still sick, so I don’t know when I’ll be better
    • My sickness has been relatively mild—like a bad cold or flu or yucky tummy issue. Annoying, like any illness is, but not super scary
    • My sickness has been horrible. It’s severe, but not quite enough to land me in the hospital. Life has come to a standstill for me. I get scared sometimes that I’ll die.
    • My sickness landed me in the hospital
    • I have been sick for over 2 months
    • I have not had Covid that I know of
    • I got sick this year, but the symptoms were so close to other illnesses (like the flu) that I can’t say for sure I had it. Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t. Can’t tell.
  2. 2. What about close family members?

• My husband had covid
    • One or more of my children had covid
    • One or more of my parents had covid (include in-laws as your parents)
    • None of my close family members have had covid

I don’t know anyone IRL who has/had covid. But what about here?  Has anyone here had covid? Or a close family member of someone here? 

The poll will not make voter names public.

Edited by Garga

18 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Same here

39 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

The poll is set up so that you have to answer one of the choices on the bottom, but none of them apply to me, so I can't reply.

Whoops—fixed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garga said:

I don’t know anyone IRL who has/had covid.  

The poll only asks about nuclear family and parents, which is a "no" for me, but I do know multiple who have had Covid, including close extended family. Four family members (and one of those was part of a 15-person, um, infection pod? that all got it at the same event, but I don't know the other people). About half a dozen other people that I know, with one death. Probably a dozen or so that I am one or two degrees of separation from. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I couldn't answer the severity question.  It is presumed that I had it but it was in Early Feb so we don't know for sure.  

For severity, it was bad but I never feared I would die and I didn't have a hospital stay.   I think that if I had the same symptom ma now, I would likely be hospitalized.

So worse than a cold/flu as far as breathing, but I didn't fear I would die.   If it matters, I have permanent lung scaring from a heart defect and surgery when I was 3 so even on the best of days I function at 66% of normal lung capacity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A friend-of-a-friend had it and died.

A former work colleague had it and died. 

One of my siblings might have had it.  She had something weird that was not flu A or B, not strep, not mono, not some other thing they tested her for (I can't remember right now). At the time she was sick, covid tests were not available.

My aunt and uncle had a mild case of it. He barely had any symptoms, she coughed and coughed for over 6 weeks.  By the time they got tested, they were in a phase of illness with low-viral load, so the test came back negative. We're still pretty sure they had it, (they live in NYC).

Another uncle of mine had a mild case of it.  He had the unrelenting cough and tested positive, (suburb of NYC).

My son had a mild illness in early March, but I doubt it was covid. I had some oddly severe and relentless "allergy stuff" that lasted about 2 months. I doubt it was covid, but it wasn't like any other allergy problems I've ever had in my life.  It was just weird enough that I would think "I doubt it's covid...maybe? Could it be? No, it can't be..." 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

While nobody in my literal family has had the disease, that I know of, a close friend of the family recently died. Although she tested negative for the disease when first admitted to the hospital, her symptoms were so spot on that her doctors and family are convinced that she died of it and the test was a false negative. She was just younger than my mother, who will be 71 in a month.

It's been pretty bad, but at least Mommy has finally stopped simply humoring us (and occasionally accusing us of treating her like a child). That's not the way I wanted this to happen, of course.

• Sad 3

A former co-worker of DH's got very ill with what sounded like COVID when it was spreading in the US around March but did not get tested for it. His wife then came down with the same symptoms. I presume they both had it. They both recovered within a couple of weeks.

Another co-worker died very early on - suddenly & unexpectedly - and many people now believe he likely had COVID & died of it before it was really believed to have been a thing here in the U.S. Both people traveled the world frequently & widely for work.

I live in an area that has not yet seen wide-spread infection except in the minority communities (especially in meat-processing).

• Sad 1

My son had Covid toes. Presumably I was the carrier because I was the only one who had been out of the house. There is no way for me to get tested here to find out if indeed I was asymptomatic, or if the mild issues I had near that time (running hot=fever?) were indeed symptoms. 

So yes, it’s been in my family, but extremely mild. Given how very, very careful we are and that both DS and DH are at higher risk, I am extremely aware of how easy it is to become infected. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My ds believes he had it, but it was fairly early on and there was not enough testing yet and he didn't need to be hospitalized, so we don't know.  (He had just returned from about a month of traveling.)  

My dd's best friend (and best friend's boyfriend) have it now.  Fortunately, my dd hadn't seen her for quite awhile due to sheltering.  One of my good friend's sister-in-law had it and died.  (Very suddenly;  she was 50 years old and had been in good health.)   The dh of a friend of a friend had it and died.  (He was elderly and had underlying issues.)

• Sad 1

I couldn't answer because the poll is only about nuclear family.   My bil is on week 2 with covid.  He's been very sick and was in the hospital last week (double pneumonia and dehydration).  His very bad symptoms started because of mold exposure (he's an electrician). The symptoms started immediately when he went into a crawl space.   We think he had it but was not symptomatic and the mold exposure pushed him over the edge.  4 people at his work are sick but he is the sickest.  My sister and her daughter are fine so far.   I saw my sister when we thought it was mold exposure because it took 10 days of symptoms to get an answer.   He'd seen a dr immediately because it was work related illness. Dr. said she didn't think it was covid but they tested him anyway because of protocol.  When he landed in the hospital 10days later they did the rapid test and it was positive.  Still waiting on the initial covid test.  So I've been potentially exposed by a close contact of a covid patient.

I have a friend whose brother died last night from it (he was in his 70s).  

I have a couple of FB friends and their spouses who have been dx.  One is a former WTMer but I haven't seen her here in a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, school17777 said:

Would you be interested in knowing if anyone knows if they were officially exposed to a positive person?

I don't know how much info I really want to post on here, but, yes, we have been exposed so many times now that I can't remember - maybe 6 times (starting in March)?  We currently know 5-6 people who either just had it (in the past couple of weeks) or currently have it (and yes, they were tested).  Everyone we know who's had it said it was mild.  About 3-4 days and then it went away.  I am 99% sure at this point that our entire family is just immune to it.  I posted about this a few months ago, but we were exposed to it in March/April (? can't remember now) at dh's work.  The other person that shares his office came to work with it, even though they suspected they had it.  We got sick about 4 days later.  Me, dd18 and dd15 were mildly sick for a few days and then it just went away.  Every time we were exposed has been at a workplace (either dh's or dd18's).  People keep going to work when they're sick.       

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

We all had some crazy illness this winter, but who knows what it was.  As for knowing people with covid

Our employee had it and was in ICU for three weeks, he's recovered and doing well.  Older man with multiple health issues but back to work on limited basis. (70)

My sister in law had it and is slowly "recovering".  No idea how she got it, brother and nephew tested negative.  Has congestive heart failure as a result.  (37)

Member of my BSF group died of Covid19 complications. (60's)

Daughter's nephrologist had a 9 yr old Covid patient in hospital PICU, only know this because when daughter asked when her house arrest would be lifted her doctor didn't know when but said it wasn't safe for her to be out and about yet.

Kimberly

Edited by Splash1
  • Sad 5

Other than people I’ve come across as part of my job, I know 2 people who have had it. Cousin’s dh (fit, 10K running 60 yr old) spent 13 days on a vent, recovered and back at work after several months. A school friend, 54 or 55 yr old with high blood pressure, spent a month on a vent, had a trach, on dialysis for a couple of months, survived and getting better and renal function improved so no longer needing dialysis. His dr told him, at a follow up appt, that he had only had a 5% chance of survival and was amazed that he had made it.

Edited by TCB
  • Sad 2

Married daughter and her husband had covid.  While "mild" as in not receiving therapy, it took my healthy 24yo daughter more than two months to feel better.  SIL was asymptomatic.  Daughter's in-laws (FIL, MIL, SIL) all had Covid (hotspot in NY), MIL died in May (of cancer not treated due to being Covid-positive).

• Sad 4

That we know of, none in my immediate or extended family. Ds20 believes, at least somewhat, that he had it last December. He was dx’d with the flu without a flu test. But he claims that is the sickest he has ever been, could not move off the couch except to pee for several days, didn’t eat, fever, coughing. He also had “another flu” two weeks later, which has never, ever happened. I’m gonna say, if evidence turns up that it could have been here in December, he might have had it. 

Anyone else I know of who has tested positive are somewhat outside of my circle, friend-of-friend types. We know *of* people who have died of COVID, but not our personal friends or family. One of dh’s high school classmates died of it recently. He had co-morbidity factors. 

• Sad 1

So far I am only aware of one person I know IRL who tested positive for Covid.  (She lives in a faraway country.)  I do not know whether or not she was sick. 

I know zero people IRL who were very sick and think it was Covid.  I know some who had mild symptoms and suspect/hope it was Covid, but have not been tested.

I know 6 people who have had it.  

4 were in their late 40's and early 50's.  Flu like for several days then recovered. 1 was 80 and it took them about 6 weeks to recover energy, but never hospitalized.  1 died, I would say more with covid rather than from it as he was lingering from a stroke and was 92.  

• Sad 1

Since the rest of my post didn’t appear thanks to my internet taking a break-  we all had it back January starting on. We were part of a group who came down with it ( we had a couple of members who traveled to China visiting family who came down with it first).  For me, it was a very odd nasty cold like flu thing.  For DH and the kids, it was like a nasty cold.  I ended up on antibiotics for a severe sinus infection ( I usually get a sinus infection then pneumonia if I get one).  The group did get antibody testing as we were all curious and everyone one of us has it.  My doctor is the one who felt I had it based on my symptoms and told me to get antibody testing.  We have been very careful as DH is high risk. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Sad 1

My brother-in-law was hospitalized with COVID for 87 days, on a ventilator and ECMO machine for all but the last 3 weeks of that. His heart stopped twice during that time. He is home now, unbelievably weak, short of breath, has  nerve damage in his foot, he may have lost some of his fingertips to micro-clots, and has bedsores the size of oranges on his back. He is really lucky to be alive. He was the sickest patient in the ward and his is relatively young with only being overweight as a risk factor. Thankfully he was in a world-class hospital.

Also a friend's mother (in her late 70s) died of it and an older acquaintance of ours (in her 80s) passed away from it. All were in the same city, but did not know each other. 

We came back from New Orleans in February and had something COVID-like in late Feb-March, but there were no tests available then so I am forced to assume that it was the other virus that was going around (even though Mardi Gras was a definite spreading event) and continue to take great precautions. 

• Sad 9

Statistically, based on the rate at which people with covid-like symptoms test negative (the vast majority) and the rate of positive vs. negative antibody tests in most regions, the overwhelming majority of people who are convinced they had the virus but did not have it confirmed by a positive test actually had something else.

It is impossible to gather any accurate data about covid-19 experience from a group of self-diagnosed people.

Self-diagnosed recovered cases worry me greatly; locally, most of the people I talk to--like, nine out of ten--tell me they think their family had covid already, sometime this past winter.

Antibody studies show that the actual rate of recovered infections in our state is very, very low--less than one percent of the population.

I worry that people are deluding themselves into thinking that they don't have to worry about covid because they have already had it 😞

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, maize said:

I worry that people are deluding themselves into thinking that they don't have to worry about covid because they have already had it 😞

That is exactly what I think. If it was simply a mind trick to reduce stress, that would be one thing, but there are people throwing all precautions to the wind bc they think they've had it already. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, Medicmom2.0 said:

My nasal swab was negative but my chest x Ray was positive for the traits of Covid pneumonia. I also had a known exposure, and I have positive antibodies.

No one in my family got sick.  One of my kids had a bad cough for two weeks before I got sick.  And my in laws were in and out of my house as were my parents; as well as I would have exposed coworkers.

Nobody else got sick.  I, on the other hand, was fairly certain my lungs were drowning and I wound up in the ER.

Edited to add:  A coworkers wife tested positive but never really had symptoms(she’s an ICU nurse and they were doing testing on her unit).  Her husband never had a positive test.  Aside from patients I only know one other person IRL who tested positive.  She was sick for weeks but it was more like a bad cold for her.  She is still struggling with fatigue months later though.

Oh no, Medicmom!  I'm so glad you're "here to tell!"   What happened after the ER?  What did they do for you? Again, I'm so, so, so glad you are doing better...I guess you're doing better? 

2 hours ago, maize said:

Self-diagnosed recovered cases worry me greatly; locally, most of the people I talk to--like, nine out of ten--tell me they think their family had covid already, sometime this past winter.

Antibody studies show that the actual rate of recovered infections in our state is very, very low--less than one percent of the population.

There is a video on YT with a good explanation for the high percentage of antibody tests that are negative.  Apparently there are two possible immune responses, the cell-mediated one and the antibody one.  This virus seems to trigger more of the cell-mediated response, so that may be A reason (one of several reasons) why people have a case, but don't register antibodies.  

I’d also be interested to know how many directly know someone who has had covid. Dh, the kids and I have been pretty much at home since March, but a good chunk of Dh’s office + their families had confirmed covid right before the shutdown. The ease with which that spread in their households (even with precautions taken) has certainly affected how we have advised our adult child re: how much to go out in the world (ie—don’t.) 

• Like 1

OP here. I’m going to leave the poll as is.  

I was mostly curious to find out how many people I personally know who had/have covid.  At the last minute I decided to add on the part of the poll about members of your household, but not for any real reason. I just sort of tossed that second question on there for kicks. 

Some of you know a lot of people IRL who have had it, but I don’t know any.  So, I thought I’d ask here since I interact with you all so much to see if it turned out that I actually do know a lot of people with covid. Even if it’s not IRL, I still do interact with you all a lot and it feels like I know you.  And it turned out that 8 of you are pretty sure you had it. A couple were even confirmed with tests or xrays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Garga said:

OP here. I’m going to leave the poll as is.  

I was mostly curious to find out how many people I personally know who had/have covid.  At the last minute I decided to add on the part of the poll about members of your household, but not for any real reason. I just sort of tossed that second question on there for kicks. 

Some of you know a lot of people IRL who have had it, but I don’t know any.  So, I thought I’d ask here since I interact with you all so much to see if it turned out that I actually do know a lot of people with covid. Even if it’s not IRL, I still do interact with you all a lot and it feels like I know you.  And it turned out that 8 of you are pretty sure you had it. A couple were even confirmed with tests or xrays.

There have been other WTMers who posted that they had confirmed case on other threads, but may not have responded on this one unless anonymously in poll. So you probably virtually know a couple more. 

• Like 2

No one in my household has had Covid. 

It is vaguely suspected by some family members that what actually killed my grandpa in early March was Covid (he died just at the edge of when it was being recognized here, and while his time in the hospital was very short, his symptoms leading up to being in the hospital fit).  My grandma did not get sick. 

I've just found out that my 20-something niece and her 2 roommates are recovering from Covid (one of them was exposed at work, tested positive, it spread to the other 2 in the meantime). They all report mild symptoms, and I'm not sure how long it lasted for them. More than one week, less than one month, but as my sister didn't tell me until they were all "recovering" I'm not clear on the timeline. 

DH has had coworkers test positive, but as he is working from home (and has not set foot on location since the first of March), he's not been exposed. It has gone through a few of them in the plant, though, and then in addition a few of them have had family members with it. 

Texas just posted 10,000+ new cases yesterday, so.....I assume maybe it's a matter of time.