Menu

Help with Writing/Literature plan for 10th - 12th grade

So...my boys are heading into 10th grade.  I feel like we've done a good job with most everything school related except for LA/Writing.  My boys don't like to write (have never liked to write and I've written about this here before 😋) and I really just need to try and think through LA for the next 3 years.  This year we did LLfrLotR and Windows to the World.  We also did WWS 2.  They don't like WWS -- LOL -- but really they won't like any writing curriculum.  Over the years, we've used WWE, IEW, Essentials in Writing, WWS, some Bravewriter.  We've also done a lot of grammar (First Language Lessons) and this year they finished up Analytical Grammar and all the Vocab from Classical Roots have been completed.

My goal is to hit writing hard the next 3 years and I'm just at a loss of what to use that they will enjoy.  Or maybe they will just not ever enjoy it -- LOL.  They really do great in school, no complaints, but the whining about writing is killing me -- LOL.  They wrote well for their Biology teacher this year (she was shocked when I told her writing is a struggle) and will be taking her US Government and Politics class for 10th that will involve a lot of writing.  They had a lot of writing in their ancient history this past year also.  

Since we are outsourcing 3 classes this year (all on-line hopefully), I'm looking to do writing and literature at home.  Any suggestions?  I'm not even sure what literature to do (American or British) this year.  Or some other literature.  

Please help - LOL!  I'm looking for something that gets it done at this point.  We need to gear up for SAT essays, work on writing speed, and longer papers.      

Do you think you would get more buy in if they had some say in the main "subject of study"? I'm thinking like, "Writing Over the Course of American History", start with a poetry study of Phyllis Wheatley or an Almanack a la Benjamin Franklin, then move to essay writing with Paine's Common Sense or one of the Federalist Papers as an example (around election time then) and then you could do some American lit and write a reader response or two and then looking back do a Historical Sequence or Chronological Narrative of a Past Event with a Biographical Sketch and perhaps a Temporal Comparison: History maybe finish the year with something involving The Great Gatsby since that is practically a high school requirement, right? 😜

You could do something similar with a focus on Science Fiction or Car Racing or Pandemics or, like me, you could just keep Rah-Rahing WWS. We have one project left to finish and then I am planning to move into a combination of The Norton Sampler and A Workbook for Arguments (I don't expect we will finish the second) plus something tied in from our history/literature studies on occasion.