Menu

Convection Microwave?

Paige

Does a convection microwave function as a toaster oven? DH loves toaster ovens, and we need a new one and we need a new microwave, and I was wondering if a convection microwave would give us both and save counter space. Any negatives to doing that other than cost? I think I might be totally off base with thinking toaster oven and convection are similar because when I google, I get nothing. 

I have one. It's much bigger than a toaster oven so it is less efficient in that sense, and probably overkill just to make toast. But I love it. I bought it when I thought our over-the stove microwave was going to die. It's still hanging in there and I was afraid it was a waste but I have to say, it's nice having something that acts as a second oven or a second microwave. But I still have a regular toaster as well.

My SIL has a convection oven/microwave that she uses as a toaster oven, too.  I don't recall the brand, but she can punch in exactly what she is making and it knows how long to heat and reminds her if she needs to use the metal pan.  

I thought the same thing and went ahead and got the convection microwave.  I wouldn't do it again, at least not with Samsung.  You can't just set a temperature and time, or toaster settings.  It's this really long programming thing that's all automatic so you can't just add a minute, plus the inserts to make it brown are just a pain.  Basically if you want to cook one plate of frozen fries, choose program 4-2-6 Start or something ridiculous like that.  After the first few uses it was clear it was NOT worth it. 

Long story short I bought a toaster too.  I wouldn't bother upgrading again without reading the manuals first.

ETA:  Oh yeah, you can't just make toast. There's not an option for that in the programs.  Just frozen junk foods.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Katy said:

I thought the same thing and went ahead and got the convection microwave.  I wouldn't do it again, at least not with Samsung.  You can't just set a temperature and time, or toaster settings.  It's this really long programming thing that's all automatic so you can't just add a minute, plus the inserts to make it brown are just a pain.  Basically if you want to cook one plate of frozen fries, choose program 4-2-6 Start or something ridiculous like that.  After the first few uses it was clear it was NOT worth it. 

Long story short I bought a toaster too.  I wouldn't bother upgrading again without reading the manuals first.

ETA:  Oh yeah, you can't just make toast. There's not an option for that in the programs.  Just frozen junk foods.

I definitely wouldn't want that. I want to be able to say- cook convection at 400 for 5 minutes just as easily as I'd tell my oven to cook at 400 for 5 min.

DH said I should just get the convection oven if I want and a cheap little toaster, but I'm not sure. There's a new one that's supposedly a real toaster combo but it's $$$, smallish, and uses a knob/dial for setting the time instead of digital input. I think twisting a knob to get to 30min would be annoying.