Menu

Dh is having a political phone convo...

happi duck

2 minutes ago, happi duck said:

It's been about an hour.  

I don't know if he'll regret this later or not.  There hasn't been any swearing which is good!

He somehow never realized his mom was his polar opposite until Facebook.  He might be glad to get this off his chest.

FB can bring out the worst in people's, esp older people who share EVERYTHING political....often without even reading it.

• Like 3

Just now, Ottakee said:

FB can bring out the worst in people's, esp older people who share EVERYTHING political....often without even reading it.

Yes I know.  I have a hard time believing some of the things people post. I've had to fact check some family and friends posts because they are just so unbelievable and send them links debunking them. And they quote stuff without giving credit to who they quoted which makes me think they wrote the post.  

Anywho, It's great your dh and mil are having a long conversation and learning from each other.  My husband does that with our customers and gets into long drawn out conversations about politics which just amazes me.   When it comes up from customers with me,  all I do is nod my head and make hmm noises.     

• Like 2

Oh boy!

I live with my parents and know my dad and I do not align at all politically but neither of us talk politics with each other so it is fine.  My mom and I have never been more aligned than this year because of how the last 4 years have gone.  But even when we weren't aligned there was always some common ground we could discuss without issue.

• Like 1

I think that’s great, honestly.  Perhaps risky depending on their relationship, but in my world there are tons of family members I disagree with politically and spiritually. I’m in the middle of the spectrum and have extremes on all sides.

Not to be Pollyanna, but being able to have conversations where we find disagreements and differences and then still be respectful and love each other, is a rare thing!  And a wonderful thing IMHO.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

It's been about an hour.  

I don't know if he'll regret this later or not.  There hasn't been any swearing which is good!

He somehow never realized his mom was his polar opposite until Facebook.  He might be glad to get this off his chest.

My friend who is 48 finally just joined FB.  I was a little nervous when she did because I knew that eventually I’d figure out where she stood politically and I wasn’t sure if we matched.  Turns out we do, so that was nice.  But she sent me a PM saying, “Wow! I never knew what people believed before! I’m finding out all sorts of things I don’t think I wanted to know!”.  Just like your DH, my friend was finding out that she didn’t have as much in common with people as she thought.  It can be so disorienting.

• Like 2