Menu

My son has taken two years of Spanish with a provider that has been "fine".  Now that provider has switched to non-native teachers and I am looking at other options.  I have three kids, and would potentially enroll all of them depending on what provider I was using - so I would have one high school Spanish 3, one middle school Spanish 1, one elementary Spanish 1.

I would like a program with a reasonable workload and difficulty level.  We are looking to achieve a fluency that would allow travel or communication with local Spanish speakers.  We are not looking to be the family that finds a hidden Spanish grammar pun in Don Quixote.  

I am considering Homeschool Spanish Academy.  Has anyone used them recently?  Does your student usually have the same teacher repeatedly?  Is there a curriculum they follow?  I am looking for something more structured than just tutoring.

Is there some other provider I should be considering?

• Like 1

Hi! My son has been taking classes with them for  4 years and we are very happy with it. You schedule each class individually and if you purchase your classes early enough you can get the same teacher for each class. They do have a set curriculum along with tests and grades.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Runningmom80 said:

Hi! My son has been taking classes with them for  4 years and we are very happy with it. You schedule each class individually and if you purchase your classes early enough you can get the same teacher for each class. They do have a set curriculum along with tests and grades.

So, is there a sense of "finishing" a level?  Is the speed of instruction meant to cover a certain amount of material in a certain amount of time?  Do they use their own curriculum or something that is widely available?  Thanks!!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Caraway said:

So, is there a sense of "finishing" a level?  Is the speed of instruction meant to cover a certain amount of material in a certain amount of time?  Do they use their own curriculum or something that is widely available?  Thanks!!!

If you check their website, they have their scope and sequence all laid out. They have levels corresponding to Spanish one through Spanish 4. It is their own curriculum. The student prints out pages on the website to fill-in and then turn back in. It worked extremely well for my daughter, who took it through Spanish 4. She came out with excellent Spanish. I love that they actually get so much time speaking rather than mostly bookwork.

oh, and if you schedule far enough in advance, you should be able to pick the same teacher. My daughter almost always had the same instructor, except occasionally there was a reason we had to make a switch and we would schedule with someone else. It was good for her to occasionally be speaking with someone else. Good practice to not always be hearing only the exact same voice. 

Edited by kand
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Caraway said:

Yes, and in there is a parent conference at the end of each level where they let you know how the student is doing and ask if you have any questions or concerns. I think the levels probably correspond with a year, they award the credits that way at least. Depending on how many classes you take a week you could definitely go through it faster since it's one on one.

• Like 2

You can also go beyond Spanish 4. My DD came in having already has college Spanish, but weak on conversational skills, tested and finished the HLA syllabus for the things she was weaker on, and now basically just spends several hours a week chatting with someone who has become a good friend. The instructor also sends DD texts to read and discuss. We plan to keep it going through this year-and, in fact, DD ramped her number of sessions way up this summer once her teacher was able to get online from home, because she really appreciates having someone to talk to-and gripe about COVID :). 

• Like 2

The initial meeting did not go well.  My son (a generally eager to please, agreeable sort of student) said that it was laggy, and it was difficult to understand what the instructor wanted.  He is willing to do a second attempt with a different instructor, but I think I need to be looking for another option.  😬

• Sad 1

I think some of the instructors are working from home due to COVID, and that connectivity may be an issue. I know there was a period of almost 2 months when my daughter’s instructor was unavailable and there was no one to substitute. 

Having said that, I teach piano online, and I have one family who just never seems to get a good connection with me. I don’t know why....but it just doesn’t work as well for them even though I am using the exact same system that I use for everyone else, and other lessons at that same time of day on other days are fine. They’re hanging in there and hoping to come back in person this fall, but if we didn’t have that relationship already, or if they wanted to stay online preferentially, I’d be the first to suggest they try someone else-because everything we have done for settings makes it tolerable, at best.

Okay, I think we need to look elsewhere.  HSA told me that after the free class they could provide placement info.  Now I'm being told that they can't give any feedback based on that meeting and we need to sign up for lessons and after that they will say where the student lands in their curriculum.  

19 hours ago, Caraway said:

Okay, I think we need to look elsewhere.  HSA told me that after the free class they could provide placement info.  Now I'm being told that they can't give any feedback based on that meeting and we need to sign up for lessons and after that they will say where the student lands in their curriculum.  

We didn’t find that the free trial was particularly representative of the courses. The teacher did very simple things, like counting, and I was worried that my child’s lack of enthusiasm would translate into a low placement. It turns out that that had zero significance, and the real placement test took place in the first lesson and my child placed as expected. We found them to be fine, but they do have a refund policy so you can try it out.

Also you actually DO have an option to buy classes in smaller intervals, although at a higher per class rate than the packages. This was a relief when I was concerned about needing an extra class or two to finish a course. I think you can only see this if you are logged in, so it may not be an option if you don’t have an account, but the customer service may be able to help you. They are pretty responsive by chat, phone, and email.

Go to classes (left hand menu, lower left of screen)—> buy classes(upper right, blue button)—>select length of class and student
The choices are 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60 classes at varying prices.

Their customer service agent told me, “Our refund policy is that a full refund can be granted within 4 classes and within 90 days of the purchase of a package. After 4 classes have been taken, a prorated refund can be requested still within 90 days. After the 90 day period is up, we do not grant refunds. 

I have not had occasion to request a refund, but they haven’t been difficult to work with generally so I would assume they would honor that. If you do decide to take a class with them, I highly recommend that once you find teachers you like, you schedule many classes as far in advance as possible and just cancel any if your schedule changes. Like everything else, some teachers are better than others. Last semester, I had my child alternating between two or three teachers who had been a good fit.

5 hours ago, stripe said:

We didn’t find that the free trial was particularly representative of the courses. The teacher did very simple things, like counting, and I was worried that my child’s lack of enthusiasm would translate into a low placement. It turns out that that had zero significance, and the real placement test took place in the first lesson and my child placed as expected. We found them to be fine, but they do have a refund policy so you can try it out.

Also you actually DO have an option to buy classes in smaller intervals, although at a higher per class rate than the packages. This was a relief when I was concerned about needing an extra class or two to finish a course. I think you can only see this if you are logged in, so it may not be an option if you don’t have an account, but the customer service may be able to help you. They are pretty responsive by chat, phone, and email.

Go to classes (left hand menu, lower left of screen)—> buy classes(upper right, blue button)—>select length of class and student
The choices are 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60 classes at varying prices.

Their customer service agent told me, “Our refund policy is that a full refund can be granted within 4 classes and within 90 days of the purchase of a package. After 4 classes have been taken, a prorated refund can be requested still within 90 days. After the 90 day period is up, we do not grant refunds. 

I have not had occasion to request a refund, but they haven’t been difficult to work with generally so I would assume they would honor that. If you do decide to take a class with them, I highly recommend that once you find teachers you like, you schedule many classes as far in advance as possible and just cancel any if your schedule changes. Like everything else, some teachers are better than others. Last semester, I had my child alternating between two or three teachers who had been a good fit.

Thank you for all of this - super helpful.  I decided to purchase 5 classes and give it a try.  It is all much easier to understand from the dashboard!

• Like 2