Menu

Is this an appropriate dog name?(pictures added)

Janeway

Fun post:

Son is bringing home a day today that we might be (likely, planning on it actually, unless there is a reason not to) keeping. Apparently, the dog already has a name, but is a puppy. The name is very similar to our daughter's name. Think along the lines if your child's name is Madison and goes by Maddy and then you get a dog named Maddydog. Would you still call the dog Maddydog? Or would you pick a different name? I have a list of names suggested, but son who is bringing the dog home says he wants to keep the name for the dog and just change what we call our 8 yr old daughter. Yeah, right. This dog is fluffy and off white. Here are the names the rest of the kids have suggested.....Sparkles, Princess Fluffy, Princess Fluffikins, Snow Ball, Blizzard, and Hoshi and T'Pol. I always wanted Ruffin for a dog but everyone kind of thinks that this is a boy name. What do you think? Rename the 8 yr old? (I seriously do not think so)...or one of these other names? All the pictures I have been sent are in forms of videos so I cannot post a picture yet but I will try to add one when the dog arrives. I think I am leaning toward Hoshi, but not sure. Every child has voted for a different name.

edited to add: husband's name pick.

Unicorn.png

Puppy.png

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 2

We have usually kept names already given to dogs if known—unless highly objectionable due to difficulties choosing new names. 

Does the daughter with similar name object to the similar dog name? If yes, find new name for dog.  If no keep dog name and daughter name unless you think dog will be confused when you call the daughter or vice versa.  

I know a family with a human named something like Frank and dog named Frankiedog, and it’s been fine. 

6 minutes ago, Pen said:

We have usually kept names already given to dogs if known—unless highly objectionable due to difficulties choosing new names. 

Does the daughter with similar name object to the similar dog name? If yes, find new name for dog.  If no keep dog name and daughter name unless you think dog will be confused when you call the daughter or vice versa.  

I know a family with a human named something like Frank and dog named Frankiedog, and it’s been fine. 

The dog is 9 weeks old and has only had the name for less than a week. I think she did not have a name when she came to the vet, which was either Friday or Monday. 

6 minutes ago, Janeway said:

The dog is 9 weeks old and has only had the name for less than a week. I think she did not have a name when she came to the vet, which was either Friday or Monday. 

Ok.  Yuki pronounced you key is great!

• Like 1

I would change the name, since the puppy is so young.

We took in my mom's cat when the kitty was seven years old, and her name was very close to DD15's name. Think Ruby and Rudy (those are not the real names). We kept the cat's name but always called her Kitty.

Instead of doing something like that for your dog's entire life, I would rename it.

My college roommate's mom named her two kittens after her two daughters. I always thought that was strange!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Janeway said:

Nobody better let my husband in on naming..he now wants One of One. Before than, Pine Cone and before that, Coniferous. Yeah, he needs to lose his vote. He is having WAY to much fun!

One of One, that's hilarious.  My 2 yr old grandson has a chicken named One because they got nine chicks.  His parents kept telling him, "One will be yours."  You will have one." etc. LOL Then the chicks arrive, and they ask him what he wants to name his chick. Well, duh, it already has a name. 😂

• Haha 8

Since he chose Coconut I have to start listing the nicknames that came to mind... 

If she's acting like a chic French princess you can call her Coco Chanel.  Or Designer Dog.

If she's acting crazy you can call her CooCoo or Nutty.

And then there's the desert names...  Coconut Delight...

• Haha 3