Menu

How do you get a driver's licence if you don't have a car?

lewelma

Just now, lewelma said:

Just saw the part about the international friends, that is actually a huge problem. Most internationals cannot return because their visas have run out and there is either a huge backlog to get new ones or there is a block on their countries.  The other MIT kid from NZ has this problem and will be unable to return to MIT because he does not have a valid visa.

So ds is trying to organize to live with Americans who are already in America. They are much less worried about a place to run to because they can just go home. 

Any friend close enough that he could go home with that person if need be?

• Like 1

DS has a bank account, but not a credit card.  I will fight for that again.  I think Dreamergal's point is true, he needs to establish credit. We do have a US bank account and credit card. Our credit card is technically not allowed because we don't live in the US, but so far they haven't come after us. So I think we could co-sign. 

1 minute ago, Pen said:

Any friend close enough that he could go home with that person if need be?

Yes, but he has decided to go live with my sister. He can take a train from Boston to VA.  He feels more comfortable with that arrangement, and he really likes his 17 year old cousin. His cousin will be at school 2 days out of 5 in the fall, so he will be around the house a lot too. 

• Like 1

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

Why doesn't he have the visa issue?  Is he just lucky in when he got his visa renewed?

My ds is a dual citizen. Most internationals are not. MIT is 10% internationals for undergrad.

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Yes, but he has decided to go live with my sister. He can take a train from Boston to VA.  He feels more comfortable with that arrangement, and he really likes his 17 year old cousin. His cousin will be at school 2 days out of 5 in the fall, so he will be around the house a lot too. 

Can he go there early before school starts? Take driver ed to get accustomed to US driving and get a US DL in VA if allowed?

Open a bank account etc. 

and then go up to Massachusetts?

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Oh, I imagine that makes things much easier in the current political climate.  

Somehow, even with your multiple references to relatives in the US, I didn't put two and two together. 

haha.  So hard to keep everyone straight on the board.  We moved to NZ 25 years ago, and we and our kids are dual citizens. This is how he can get into the US right now when the visa offices are closed, and how he will be allowed back in to NZ when only allow citizens can enter.

3 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I think I will go after the USAA credit card.  I bet that is a good choice no matter where you live.  I keep forgetting that they will work with my ds because his grandfather was an officer.

If he can get a USAA account etc do it.  

Also if he needs a to buy a car their insurance will be good to be able to have.

unfortunately they suspended their secured credit card recently and we don’t know when they will get a new one.

Yes. It’s a good choice wherever you live. Imo. 

They also may have some home finding assistance. And various other things that may help. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

Can he go there early before school starts? Take driver ed to get accustomed to US driving and get a US DL in VA if allowed?

Open a bank account etc. 

and then go up to Massachusetts?

Yes, I was wondering about some of that too.  Main problem as I see it is avoiding the virus.  I'm thinking at this point that a direct flight from San Fran to Boston is basically his only risk, and I have bought him a pack of N95s and goggles for the flight.  He can't get it on the international flight because it is leaving with people out of NZ who don't have it. Then he walks in his dorm room and goes into quarantine.  Seems the best bet for starting the term off well.

• Like 1

If for some reason,  he needs to get out of the dorm, can't access a car, and needs to head to his grandparents in North Carolina.... he could easily take a train to at least Richmond, VA & have the grandparents get him from there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Yes, I was wondering about some of that too.  Main problem as I see it is avoiding the virus.  I'm thinking at this point that a direct flight from San Fran to Boston is basically his only risk, and I have bought him a pack of N95s and goggles for the flight.  He can't get it on the international flight because it is leaving with people out of NZ who don't have it. Then he walks in his dorm room and goes into quarantine.  Seems the best bet for starting the term off well.

Ok. Not getting sick wins.

So as direct as possible to Boston.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

Are you also USAA eligible?

or is the chain to the grandfather through a different relative

It's me.  Yes, I'm eligible and they have kept my records through many computer upgrades.  So I didn't even have to prove my eligibility when I got the insurance on the violin. DS told me at 6pm one night that he had 3 violins to try our that were lent to him and currently sitting in his room.  We are talking $30,000 of violins in a DORM ROOM!  I just about had a heart attack.  And he knew he signed for something, but didn't know what!?!?  So I did a mad desperate search for someone to temporarily insure these violins and my dad told me to call USAA.  USAA was *awesome* and they got it done and had them insured within 4 hours, starting midnight that night.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

If for some reason,  he needs to get out of the dorm, can't access a car, and needs to head to his grandparents in North Carolina.... he could easily take a train to at least Richmond, VA & have the grandparents get him from there.

haha. Yup. That is the actual plan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lewelma said:

It's me.  Yes, I'm eligible and they have kept my records through many computer upgrades.  So I didn't even have to prove my eligibility when I got the insurance on the violin. DS told me at 6pm one night that he had 3 violins to try our that were lent to him and currently sitting in his room.  We are talking $30,000 of violins in a DORM ROOM!  I just about had a heart attack.  And he knew he signed for something, but didn't know what!?!?  So I did a mad desperate search for someone to temporarily insure these violins and my dad told me to call USAA.  USAA was *awesome* and they got it done and had them insured within 4 hours, starting midnight that night.  

USAA banking etc app for iPhone is super user friendly.  And very easy to transfer money as needed from a parent account to a joint account where adult child can access it.   And if insurance is part of it the app also can also get roadside service if that’s on one’s policy. 

My son is still on a debit card  only - waiting for USAA to get a new secured credit card which is supposed to happen.  So far he hasn’t needed to do anything where a credit card has been needed.   Or at least there has so far been some work around the no credit history no credit card problem, like using a wire transfer. 

• Like 1

Capital One May have a decent secured credit card now if he needs to start establishing credit as soon as possible.  It could probably be linked for automatic payment in full to a USAA account so as to not have any late payments. 

• Like 1

Adding - USAA is especially used to international and young adults needing to function.  Maybe call and in addition to getting him established with his own number etc, ask them for ideas about the various problems you are concerned about. Though it is sort of backwards to US citizens overseas, they are still likely to have experience with 20 year olds in new locations.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, katilac said:

MIT's page on driving for international students

My dd got a waiver at her college. A little too easily imo. 

Thanks for the info in driving, the main problem I have is understanding how the *restricted* NZ licence maps to the US laws. And I'm guessing it would vary by state.  So if he were to drive to NZ on a restricted NZ licence, he would pass through many states, all with different laws. I think he needs a US licence.  I don't think he can get one very easily especially not while studying during the term (MIT is kind of hard academically).

As for the waiver, I'm referring to a waiver to stay in the dorms when they send the other kids home.  MIT was pretty strict on this and only accepted about half of the requests last March.  I'm not sure if ds's reasons (distance and time zone problem) is a reason enough to give him a waiver to stay in the closed dorms.  Nor am I clear if that would be a very great option for him.  I think he will have to get them and figure out what the living arrangements feel like with all the restrictions of masks and social distancing.  

You can rent a Zip car at his age, they're good for day trips where you're going back to the same place you started.  They're all over in cities and near universities.  They rent by the hour. One of my kids used them all the time when they didn't have a car on campus.

Don't know if he'd need a US license or not.  Driving schools have their own cars they use - like someone else said, not sure how that's being handled with Covid. Once you're over 18, you don't need to take driver's ed, you can just take the test, which just takes,a trip to the DMV. He might just be able to take the test in the tester's car.

What would he be using the car for?  Getting to classes? Shopping? 

Edited by Matryoshka

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

Or fly. Less time on public transport better these days... are there even direct trains that go there? I get fuzzy about train connections south of DC... another reason I'd vote fly.

3 hours ago, lewelma said:

very good advice.  I'll add it to my very long list of fun things to do. 🙂 

If he has USAA, he should be able to do banking through them. We have done that for years and it makes transferring money to our student quite easy. He can likely get a credit card through them too.

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Thanks for the info in driving, the main problem I have is understanding how the *restricted* NZ licence maps to the US laws. And I'm guessing it would vary by state.  So if he were to drive to NZ on a restricted NZ licence, he would pass through many states, all with different laws. I think he needs a US licence.  I don't think he can get one very easily especially not while studying during the term (MIT is kind of hard academically).

Okay, I looked at the intl requirements. He has to go get a learner's permit, which involves taking an easy test on a computer and pay some $. There's a booklet with the answers, it's easy. If you don't pass the 1st time, you just take it again.  But again, it's easy.

Once he has the permit, he can go for his road test.  Because he's over 18, no other actual driving practice is necessary.  It does say he'll need to supply a car for the test. Does he have any friends he could borrow a car from? He also, apparently needs to bring a US license holder who is over 21yo. So, someone 21+ with a car that can go with him to the RMV.  The road test takes like 10 minutes; the part that takes time is waiting around for it at the RMV; they are not punctual.

Unless he needs a lot of actual driving practice,  it should be doable. ..? Do you guys drive on the other side of the road?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lewelma said:

Is the restricted NZ license what in USA is called a restricted license (like not allowed to drive certain hours or with passengers under age 21 or that sort of thing?)  — or what is called in USA an Instructional Permit or Learners Permit...

if it’s a Learner Permit he definitely needs a DL.

If it’s a restricted regular DL, he probably does not, but Massachusetts RMV should be asked. 

• Like 1

We were signed up to have my son do drivers ed through the schools, an in person class, at the end of March...they got cancelled until August.

There is a private company here that does online drivers education and as part of the price, a few practice drives.  If you could find a company like that in MA, perhaps you could work out a deal with them for both practice drives and using the car for the test.  The online classes here are not full even with extra people using them do to Covid-19, they just hired some extra drivers.  (Cases here are low so the online classes were never shut down, I don't think.)

Alternatively, is there a professor or TA he could ask about borrowing a car to test with?  At age 20, he should just need to take the written test and pass the driving test.  If you get USAA insurance for him, that should cover any possible accidents while using their car, you could double check that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Or fly. Less time on public transport better these days... are there even direct trains that go there? I get fuzzy about train connections south of DC... another reason I'd vote fly.

Boston to DC is direct. Change trains in DC to head to Richmond. Flying would likely also have a connection. 

• Like 1