Menu

Thinking ahead to fall.....what do you think Halloween will look like?

Tap

I was thinking about upcoming holidays. Halloween is one that I really don't think is going to be able to have any semblance of what it used to be. It usually coincides with the beginning surge of flu and winter viruses settling in. I can't imagine going door to door, to group events, or trunk r treats. What about you? 

Trick or Treat with  full masks, but quarantine the candy?  Or just Zoom costume parties and parent bought candy?????

I don't know, but it's on a Saturday, with an extra hour because of Daylight Savings, and has a full moon, so people need to start wearing their danged masks so we can get this under control because I do NOT want this to be messed up!!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Terabith said:

I don't know, but it's on a Saturday, with an extra hour because of Daylight Savings, and has a full moon, so people need to start wearing their danged masks so we can get this under control because I do NOT want this to be messed up!!!!

LOL!! I agree!!

Youngest has been talking about Halloween nonstop. I think at this point I am going to throw a Harry Potter party for six complete with pumpkin carving on favorite science fiction/high fantasy themes. She is picking the “spell work” she wants to do. There will probably be some wand making involved too.

If schools are meeting at all in brick and mortar I think there will be door to door trick or treating. My kids will be home, however.

This year I don't foresee us participating and since James doesn't go out anymore, we'll most likely hibernate with the lights off and the gate locked.  It'll be better for our waistlines any way since we end up eating most of the candy.  🙃

I’m dreading thinking about it, because Halloween was the last big adventure we had the last time my niece and nephew were here, and it’s going to be such a let down this year.

On the plus side, our house doesn’t get trick or treaters, so I don’t have to worry about it from that angle.

First, our house doesn't get trick or treaters, so that worry doesn't apply to us. Second, we will have a 6-8 week old baby, so my stamina will be limited. (As we live in the country, I have to be available to drive our kids into town and back.) Third, due to having a pretty brand-new baby and there being a pandemic, I am not sure we will participate (in traditional ToT) anyway.

I've already been thinking about this, as I will be too tired to think of fun alternatives once baby is here. Realistically, at the least we might do a costume dinner with just us. I'd like to think of something to replace ToT, but haven't come up with anything yet. Maybe a treasure hunt where clues lead to candy? Hmmm....

34 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, given the year it has been so far, I am imagining a Halloween tornado or blizzard or something.  

Except given how weird this year is, it would have to be even less plausible, like raining frogs or something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I told me kids to dress up like Huey, Duey, and Luey from ducktales.  I could easily make those costumes with incorporating masks.  

But seriously, if Halloween is cancelled, which I don't think it will be.  I'll invite friends and family over to my huge yard to set up trick or treating stations in the lawn. 

• Like 1

For years, even while my kids were still trick-or-treat age, I've been thinking that Halloween has to change dramatically or go away altogether.

Food allergies and restrictions make it hard for some kids who can't eat the treats they receive. 

Some people use it as an opportunity for vandalism and petty theft.  (I have had things stolen from my front porch, things like a lantern I put out to make a dark spot on the walkway brighter.)

Every year on various SM (maybe even here, not sure) I read complaints about bad behavior from trick or treaters and their companions, people driving too fast through neighborhoods with kids walking around, kids getting hurt because they tripped on their costume and/or couldn't see because of their mask, people coming from outside the neighborhood to take advantage of the better treats in wealthier neighborhoods and using up all the treat supplies. 

Speaking only for myself, I find the costumes and house decorations to be getting more gruesome and scary.  I don't like the ugliness.

To me, if the pandemic kills Halloween... it won't be a bad thing. But easy for me to say since I don't have young ones anxious for it. Private and community parties might be a better way to keep it going.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, given the year it has been so far, I am imagining a Halloween tornado or blizzard or something.  

18 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Except given how weird this year is, it would have to be even less plausible, like raining frogs or something. 

Seriously, a Halloween blizzard is sooooo 2011 (BTDT here in NJ), and even a hurricane is overdone (2012 Sandy).

Depending on what the numbers look like at that point, I don't know if people will be comfortable with mobs of kids at Trunk or Treats, or answering the door.  We don't get TorT'ers at home but the kids went T&T by the science center with friends last year.  It was the first year they went by themselves with friends and I'd really like to see it happen again.  But, we've missed other years and I'm not sure they'd care that much.  

I do agree that if schools are open, TorT'ing will probably go off as normal, maybe with mask mandates.

I think if schools are in, trick or treating will go on as usual. I think if it was Halloween today we would have trick or treaters. My community is pretty much forging ahead doing as they please regardless of what the virus is doing. It would take an order from the governor to curb it I am sure. Then that would probably only decrease it, not eliminate it.

Everyone is happy to tell everyone else that they should stay home or decline whatever event or opportunity but no one is willing to forgo something important to them. That's what I've observed during this thing. People are quick to shame someone else for doing something but then when it is their kid's birthday,  no way are they skipping the party. I'm so over it. 

People where I live get really into Halloween (which shocked me when we moved here because it is super fundamentalist Christian). No way are people going to let this dang virus ruin Halloween.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1

Disappointing thoughts to start the today. This would probably be last year of trick or treating for my children. I can already guess that my daughter’s closest friend will carry on as usual, given the sleepover invites we have already declined. Just one more thing.

• Sad 1

I think people will be posting their costumes online. Maybe candy in little bags that people leave on the driveway. Overall, I think there will be less houses participating and less kids on the street. Some cities or counties might even cancel trick-or-treating. I don't think a bunch of kids touching the same doorbell is a good idea so people will have to find a social distancing way to do things. I think most people will be celebrating at home.

We only got three families of young kids and one group of teens last year.  The teens came late and we gave them ALL the rest of the candy because our kids already had enough to last until Christmas.

We probably won't turn on our lights this year and will just buy our own kids candy.

Maybe we'll have our own family superlatives for costumes, sit around and eat candy, popcorn balls, and watch movies.

2 hours ago, marbel said:

For years, even while my kids were still trick-or-treat age, I've been thinking that Halloween has to change dramatically or go away altogether.

Food allergies and restrictions make it hard for some kids who can't eat the treats they receive. 

Some people use it as an opportunity for vandalism and petty theft.  (I have had things stolen from my front porch, things like a lantern I put out to make a dark spot on the walkway brighter.)

Every year on various SM (maybe even here, not sure) I read complaints about bad behavior from trick or treaters and their companions, people driving too fast through neighborhoods with kids walking around, kids getting hurt because they tripped on their costume and/or couldn't see because of their mask, people coming from outside the neighborhood to take advantage of the better treats in wealthier neighborhoods and using up all the treat supplies. 

Speaking only for myself, I find the costumes and house decorations to be getting more gruesome and scary.  I don't like the ugliness.

To me, if the pandemic kills Halloween... it won't be a bad thing. But easy for me to say since I don't have young ones anxious for it. Private and community parties might be a better way to keep it going.

This would make me so sad.  I absolutely love Halloween and have never had a bad experience.  So, many of the complaints you have listed can easily be fixed.  People steal your decorations, just decorate with pumpkins.  Kids tripping, make better costumes/don't wear masks do makeup instead.  People coming from outside neighborhood, embrace them and get more candy or do trick or treating on a different day. People driving too fast, have adults stay in the roads with flashlights urging people to slow down(it works.) Food allergies, encourage non candy treats or have your kid swap out with safe foods once they get home. 

Gruesome and scary is sort of hard to change but just prepare kids ahead of time.  I actually like the scary decorations but wouldn't do it myself since I don't want to scare kids.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

This would make me so sad.  I absolutely love Halloween and have never had a bad experience.  So, many of the complaints you have listed can easily be fixed.  People steal your decorations, just decorate with pumpkins.  Kids tripping, make better costumes/don't wear masks do makeup instead.  People coming from outside neighborhood, embrace them and get more candy or do trick or treating on a different day. People driving too fast, have adults stay in the roads with flashlights urging people to slow down(it works.) Food allergies, encourage non candy treats or have your kid swap out with safe foods once they get home. 

Gruesome and scary is sort of hard to change but just prepare kids ahead of time.  I actually like the scary decorations but wouldn't do it myself since I don't want to scare kids.  

Sure, that all makes sense. Those complaints are mainly things I hear about (except having stuff stolen though my issues have been minor.  Really miss that lantern though).  So I can't fix them and I can't have anyone else fix them.  They are not really my complaints - when we handed out candy, we did not care how many people came or where they came from. I heard lots of other people complain (on SM, not to me personally so much).  When my kids trick-or-treated, I had them wear things they wouldn't trip in. I still hear about kids getting hurt.  My kids did not have allergies so it wasn't an issue for us; we always had some noncandy treats to give out along with candy. But again, I read parents' complaints that their kids could have nothing they came home with.  It's a legitimate complaint! 

Since I have not loved H'ween for many years, when I read/hear complaints about it, makes me think that culture has changed and maybe ToT isn't such a great thing anymore. Of course I don't expect that everyone shares that opinion.  And lucky for those who don't, my opinion has no effect on anyone!  🙂

Edited by marbel

I think we can do Halloween safely if everyone behaves. We live in one of those neighborhoods that everyone drives to--I would rather see that NOT happen this year just to keep numbers down. The streets can get pretty crowded, you can get more than one party at your door at a time, etc. What I've been thinking is this: we have a little wall in front of our house. I'd like to block the walkway up to our door and set a piece of candy say every foot along the wall. I will man it from the house side, restocking candy while gloved and telling trick-or-treaters to take one. Kids can just cruise by and pick up a candy. It's outdoors, everyone masks, no congregating--probably pretty safe.

I don't think there will be traditional Halloween in our area. That said,there have been lots of creative online and home events since we started lock down and I suspect that will continue.   

Halloween is usually SO fun and hands on in our neighborhood.  My kids are too old now, but we still set up the fire pit in the front yard and entertain neighbors.  I love Halloween.  But I'm ok with missing this year.  I'm counting on science to set us right in 2021.   

34 minutes ago, marbel said:

Sure, that all makes sense. Those complaints are mainly things I hear about (except having stuff stolen though my issues have been minor.  Really miss that lantern though).  So I can't fix them and I can't have anyone else fix them.  They are not really my complaints - when we handed out candy, we did not care how many people came or where they came from. I heard lots of other people complain (on SM, not to me personally so much).  When my kids trick-or-treated, I had them wear things they wouldn't trip in. I still hear about kids getting hurt.  My kids did not have allergies so it wasn't an issue for us; we always had some noncandy treats to give out along with candy. But again, I read parents' complaints that their kids could have nothing they came home with.  It's a legitimate complaint! 

Since I have not loved H'ween for many years, when I read/hear complaints about it, makes me think that culture has changed and maybe ToT isn't such a great thing anymore. Of course I don't expect that everyone shares that opinion.  And lucky for those who don't, my opinion has no effect on anyone!  🙂

I'm sure all of those complaints have been there for ages.  The only thing that has changed about ToT since I was a kid(I'm 33 now) is that it is no longer a one night event.  The majority of people I know go to multiple trunk or treats, indoor halloween events, and still trick or treat on the actual night.  

At one of our first teen zooms, the kids were discussing Halloween. For the most part, these are kids who use it as an excuse to cosplay and really love it, even though they are past the ToT stage. They were both discussing how to add masks to their costumes (one girl is apparently building a filter into her Fursuit) and mourning the idea that it might not happen. 

Last year my DD set up our yard as a team Rocket gym, dressed up as Jessie, and challenged trick or treaters to battle. We worked on props for weeks. The community center I teach at does Halloween as their big fundraiser (our building has been featured on some of those Ghost Hunter shows, although our ghost is an elderly teacher and is very benign-apparently she died there back when the building was a school, and supposedly, she still occasionally appears in her classroom), and she is hoping to be able to set up and do a booth for the carnival (I do Halloween in a BIG way in my studio, because they decorate to a degree that looks like we are one of those pop up Halloween stores). She's been planning since last Halloween how to set up her display for the carnival, how to have different levels of skill for different ages, and where to get a giant stuffed Meowth....

Other kids have similar elaborate plans. And I love seeing the kids each year-we're right by the school, and apparently are one of the houses that new kids who come in are told they HAVE to visit. I LOVE being a "good house". 

To be honest, I'd be more upset at Halloween being cancelled for DD's senior year than practically anything else next year.  

Idk we love Halloween!!

Kids make their own costumes one has already started. They always dot

traditional trick or treating while we hangout by the firepit and give out candy.

I think trick or treating might be the safest option over parties or trunk or treat, depending on how you pass out the treats.  Our neighborhood is busy but not crowded plenty of space for social distancing.  

We won't just go ahead but I'm hoping we will figure out a way to do it safely.