Menu

Your menu for 4th of July backyard family BBQ?

Ali in OR

Just the 5 of us, perfect weather forecast for the 4th. Here's what I'm thinking as of now:

Grilled hot dogs
Grilled chicken drumsticks (because just hot dogs doesn't seem like quite enough)
Fresh berries (I'll buy from a local farmstand on Friday, but probably marionberries which are like blackberries and also cherries)
Blue Jello Jigglers by request from dds
Baked beans? Some kind of salad? Potato chips?
Cupcakes leftover from the freezer from a half-birthday celebration this last weekend. We have vanilla ice cream too if anyone wants it.
Raspberry lemonade by request

• Like 1

3 of us.  Hot as heck outside, but dh will be grilling steaks.  

Parker House Rolls

Blueberry muffins topped with a strawberry (dd's idea for the red, white and blue effect) (too many carbs with rolls and muffins but oh well)

I got cute plates and napkins.

We should have a fruit or vegetable but my brain isn't working.  

We would roast marshmallows in the chimnea but my dd is not interested since we just did that at Easter.  No fireworks.  They are banned in city limits per usual, plus the big show has been cancelled.  We never go anyway.  We will watch them on TV.

I'm trying to think of something to liven up the 4th but I got nothing. 

• Like 2

We are having a few family members over for a very small backyard BBQ.  We are limited to how many people we can see in a week.

Hamburgers

Smoked ribs

Baked beans

Potato salad

Chips

Veggie and Fruit tray

Berry pie

Lemon Pie

Rhubarb crisp

Gluten-free cheesecake

Homemade ice-cream (maybe)

• Like 2

Just the five of us and it is supposed to be way too hot for my liking.

Baked buffalo cauliflower wings

Chickpea curry burgers with pineapple jalapeño chutney 

Green goddess pasta salad

Grilled veggies & corn on the cob

Peanut butter pie

• Like 2

Salmon, homemade mango mint salsa, a range of fresh fruit and a kale and arugula salad with a lemon garlic dressing.  I swear we aren't fancy, we just really like salmon and are treating ourselves to good food as our still basically staying home splurge.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

Salmon, homemade mango mint salsa, a range of fresh fruit and a kale and arugula salad with a lemon garlic dressing.  I swear we aren't fancy, we just really like salmon and are treating ourselves to good food as our still basically staying home splurge.  

We don't celebrate. If we stand two metres away can we come and share your food? I can bring roast beetroot salad with yoghurt/preserved lemon/mint/tahini dressing.

• Like 2

We're having burgers, hot dogs, and s'mores.  Also Greek salad, which is chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, black olives, and feta cheese with Gazebo Greek dressing. 

We usually have all the siblings and nieces and nephews over, but not this year.

I'm sad about that. 

• Like 2

It is our 25th anniversary today and my dad had wanted to take us all out to a very nice restaurant (all 7 of us including him) but we have told him we would prefer spending that money on getting some top quality steak from the butcher, and making it last multiple meals and eating at home.  I may get ribs too.

So:

Steak/ribs

twice baked potatoes

baked beans

Mac and cheese, homemade

green beans

salad

corn on the cob

cheesecake and a couple of pies (from the store, I am not making the desserts!)

• Like 2

Pretty typical - Hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, fresh cut up fruit (probably watermelon, strawberries and maybe blueberries), and sweet tea.

Dss and the family are coming to our new house Friday, so that will be our day to celebrate. We saw dss last month when helped us move but we haven't seen ddil and the grandkids in 4 months. The last time we saw them in person (we've face timed) was Feb. 29th when oldest grandson had his 8th/2nd birthday party at a skating rink. Emma wasn't walking then but she is now! I'm so happy to be able to see them. I missed them so much!

9 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

We love salmon and have had people who claim they don't like it say they liked dh's grilled salmon. Alas, with picky kids here it's just easier to do hot dogs and hamburgers. We'll save the salmon for when it's just the 3 of us (dh, me and ds22), or someday when this is over and we can have adult friends here.

• Like 2

I smoked a pork butt Monday so that will be served Along with:

Grilled Steaks

Bratwurst

Something with chicken

Pasta Salad

7 Layer Salad

Veggie Tray

Homemade rolls

Baked Beans

Tiramisu

And a Chocolate Trifle.

I usually do twice baked potatoes but it's so hot, our A/C is out, and that seems too heavy to eat and too much work. So I'm not doing that. And I don't care if relatives don't like that at all. So there. 

• Like 1