Menu

Instantpot?

ScoutTN

My crockpot died in a freak accident and I think I want to replace it with an instantpot. They still can do the skow cook thing too, right? What do I need to look for? Size, settings, brands etc.? 

Family of four. All adult eaters and I cook real meals every day.  

It took me a sweet minute but I got rid of my crock pot after getting an instant pot.  I have two, the 6qt with the slow cooker lid accessory and the 8qt with the the air fryer lid in addition to the pressure cook lid.  

6qt is large enough for my family of 4 but I appreciate the 8qt size for some things.  

• Thanks 1

I think I have the 8 quart. My brother has the 6 quart and it is not big enough for my normal recipe size of pot roast for my family (about 4.5 pounds of beef plus veggies).  So depending on if you plan on making largish meals that use your whole normal crockpot, I would consider the 8 quart, especially if you are using it for slow cooking. I don't use my instant pot that much, but I still use my slow cooker.

@LucyStoner is the "air fryer lid" the same as the "slow cooker lid"?

• Thanks 1

Love love love my instant pot. I still have my large crock pot because sometimes I need two at a time, but I did get rid of my medium crock pot.

I have five kids and cook for crowds. First, I bought the 6 quart IP but then I upgraded to the 8 quart.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I think I have the 8 quart. My brother has the 6 quart and it is not big enough for my normal recipe size of pot roast for my family (about 4.5 pounds of beef plus veggies).  So depending on if you plan on making largish meals that use your whole normal crockpot, I would consider the 8 quart, especially if you are using it for slow cooking. I don't use my instant pot that much, but I still use my slow cooker.

@LucyStoner is the "air fryer lid" the same as the "slow cooker lid"?

No.  The slow cooker lid is just a glass lid with a heat resistant handle like you see on a crock pot.  The air fryer lid is a little convection oven that seals onto the top and turns the appliance into an air fryer.  

• Thanks 1

I love my instant pot.   I use it frequently....esp for steaming veggies, Mac & cheese, and rice.

That said, I am not giving up my 3 crock pots.   Mostly it is because I know exactly how each of them cooks certain items.  I use them for holiday meals, etc.

• Like 1

I have the 8 quart.  I use it a lot for cooking hunks of meat. I wouldn't be happy with the 6 quart because I don't think most of my cuts would fit.  And I never make such a small portion of things that the 8 quart is too big.  I haven't used the crock pot once since getting the instantpot.  But then I never made full meals in my crockpot because it simply didn't hold enough food for my family.  So for it was comparing a roast in the instant pot to a roast in the crockpot and the InstantPot wins hands down.  Plus the instant pot is great for hard boiled eggs, yogurt and cheesecake. 

• Like 1