Menu

I need a page-turner...

PrincessMommy

I'm feeling so blah and unmotivated these days.  I've tried several books but they just haven't grabbed me.  I think I need something a little more exciting.  I'm looking for a book to read not to listen to.  I have plenty of audibles, but I like to have one to read and one to listen to.  Lately, I haven't had any good books to read.   We seriously pared down our bookshelves for our last two moves and now I have no access to the library.  😞 

Books I've enjoyed in the past:

Eyre Affair and all the sequels by Jasper Fforrde

Cloud Atlas by Mitchell - but I didn't like his other books

True Grit 

The Book Thief

Suspicions of Mr. Whitcher

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Longmire Series

Vera Stanhope series (I may just break down and buy another one).

Fiona Griffith's series

Pratchett's Discworld series

LOTR

Any good page-turners that aren't too gruesome?  

Solely because you said LOTR: have you read the Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon? It certainly kept me and became my favorite (besides LOTR). I try to reread it every year. It has sort of a high-fantasy flavor to it but not overly high, if that makes sense. It's clean and not overly gorey but does have a battle scenes and descriptors. Also a trigger warning since rape is discussed (but not overly...idk, it's not graphic to me and I'm easily turned). Perhaps a bit slow to start (to some, not to me though), which is my only concern about "page turner" status.

• Like 1

The Murderbot Diaries!!!!!  I just read the fifth installment, which is the first novel - the first four are novellas.  Fast reading, so.much.fun.  Don't let "murderbot" put you off - it's not gory, the characters are all likeable and sympathetic, and the main character (an organic/tech construct who is built as a security unit but doesn't want to kill anyone, it just wants to watch shows, so escapes its corporate owners) is snarky and fun.  I like each installment more than the last.

On the David Mitchell novels - I read them all in order last year as a project, and I have to say it was kind of amazing because they're actually all one big story, even though they're all completely different books, set in different times and different places and are in different genres.  If you read them all, The Bone Clocks is kind of a big mind-blowing payoff, but I don' t think I would have read it that way if I hadn't read all the others first.... but honestly I wouldn't call any of them page-turners! lol.

6 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Based on that list? I'm thinking Space Opera by Valente.

I will have to forewarn anyone going into that book that it's is basically Eurovision by way of Hitchhiker's Guide on acid.  It loves its cleverness so.much., and is also completely kitchy/cheesy.  If that floats your boat, go for it.  Too much self-congratulatory wink-wink haha cheese trippy land for me...

• Like 6

A range of series on Kindle I've enjoyed 

Laurie King's Sherlock & Mary Russell series, starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. (historical fiction with a side of philosophy along with mystery).

Ilona Andrews Innkeeper Series and Hidden Legacy (urban fantasy with side of romance)

Lady Trent (A Natural History of Dragons) - historical fantasy

Shadow Unit (if you like Criminal Minds mixed with X Files - a bit gory in places, very much character-driven)

Lois McMaster Bujold Vorkosigan series, starts with Shards of Honour I believe (Space Opera with lots of philosophy, great characters)

Same author Penric's Demon series (fantasy, also with a side of philosopy), and her Chalion series, similar.

Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar and Miss Pym Disposes, mysteries from the 30s.

• Like 1

I loved “Janesville” and just couldn’t put it down.  But it’s very sad in many ways.  I never cry over books, but I did over that one.  It’s nonfiction but in many ways it reads like a novel, or maybe a docudrama.

I am currently rereading The Overstory, which was my favorite book a few years back. It’s very unusual but I absolutely love it.  Complex.  Lots of story lines that converge in a way that is counter intuitive but seems inevitable in retrospect.  Quite environmentalist.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I will have to forewarn anyone going into that book that it's is basically Eurovision by way of Hitchhiker's Guide on acid.  It loves its cleverness so.much., and is also completely kitchy/cheesy.  If that floats your boat, go for it.  Too much self-congratulatory wink-wink haha cheese trippy land for me...

Agreed 100%, and yet somehow I feel like it may be OP's jam. We can't all love the same books.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Agreed 100%, and yet somehow I feel like it may be OP's jam. We can't all love the same books.

That's why I figured I'd just describe it.  I know lots of people loved it. (kind of like 'I hate olives, but if you like them, you'll like this!')  I love Hitchhiker's Guide, even, and I really liked her book Radiance...  don't know why this one sat wrong with me.  As you say, different strokes! 😁

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

The Murderbot Diaries!!!!!  I just read the fifth installment, which is the first novel - the first four are novellas.  Fast reading, so.much.fun.  Don't let "murderbot" put you off - it's not gory, the characters are all likeable and sympathetic, and the main character (an organic/tech construct who is built as a security unit but doesn't want to kill anyone, it just wants to watch shows, so escapes its corporate owners) is snarky and fun.  I like each installment more than the last.

On the David Mitchell novels - I read them all in order last year as a project, and I have to say it was kind of amazing because they're actually all one big story, even though they're all completely different books, set in different times and different places and are in different genres.  If you read them all, The Bone Clocks is kind of a big mind-blowing payoff, but I don' t think I would have read it that way if I hadn't read all the others first.... but honestly I wouldn't call any of them page-turners! lol.

I've thought about trying to read the Mitchell books in order... I think what may have done me in was that I didn't realize there was an order until I read Bone Clocks THEN Ghostwritten.  But, I loved, loved Cloud Atlas... and I love time travel, mind bending books.  But his are long arch books, which I'm not in the mood for right now.  I'm really struggling to keep my concentration.  I don't know if its age or the lockdown or what.  But I just need something a little less cerebral right now.  

4 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I've thought about trying to read the Mitchell books in order... I think what may have done me in was that I didn't realize there was an order until I read Bone Clocks THEN Ghostwritten.  But, I loved, loved Cloud Atlas... and I love time travel, mind bending books.  But his are long arch books, which I'm not in the mood for right now.  I'm really struggling to keep my concentration.  I don't know if its age or the lockdown or what.  But I just need something a little less cerebral right now.  

Yeah, his books should be read in order for things to build right, which is not.at.all obvious.  If you look at blurbs and summaries, they seem completely unrelated in every way.  But then... they're not.  But I would not recommend them for anyone looking for page-turners!  And it's not just a one-book long story arc, it's an all book interwoven story arc, but in a much more complex way than just 'series/sequels'.  

I'm also finding I need less weighty books since the lockdown...  good thing I read them last year!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

These are some super random books that were advertised on my Amazon page once and I bought them on Kindle, and couldn't put them down:

I Wish I Could Say I Was Sorry

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CS8YG34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maude

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ONDNQYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Thanks guys! I'm going to spend some time looking at reviews and pick a few.

Some I've already read: Martian, Overstory, Lady Trent, Beekeeper's Apprentice...   But a lot I've never even heard of.  

Thanks!

Well, if you liked the Lady Trent novels, then you will absolutely LOVE The Goblin Emperor. And for that matter, I'm also thinking... His Majesty's Dragon series by Naomi Novik?

But if you were ambivalent about Lady Trent then you may be ambivalent about those two as well.

The more books you list, the more complete picture we get for our individual book recommending algorithms.

Edit: Oh, you know what? Try the Rivers of London series.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Well, if you liked the Lady Trent novels, then you will absolutely LOVE The Goblin Emperor. And for that matter, I'm also thinking... His Majesty's Dragon series by Naomi Novik?

But if you were ambivalent about Lady Trent then you may be ambivalent about those two as well.

The more books you list, the more complete picture we get for our individual book recommending algorithms.

Edit: Oh, you know what? Try the Rivers of London series.

LOL.  I also loooved The Goblin Emperor - all the stars!  I've seen Lady Trent mentioned elsewhere; I'm thinking I should try it.

And speaking of algorithms, I also had seen Rivers of London mentioned enough that I tried the first one and thought... meh.  But yes, that's another one a lot of people really love.  It is hard to figure out exactly what the magic formula is!

• Like 2

I've seen Lady Trent mentioned elsewhere; I'm thinking I should try it.

I love Lady Trent to the ends of the earth, but the key here is that it's a slow-paced series. Like, right when the series has a SHOCKING TWIST, she goes out to herd the yaks for a chapter or two. Entire plotlines get held up while she does chores and translates things. This is exactly what I like to read, and exactly what I signed up for, but it's so rare to find authors writing for my particular interests that I feel I should warn people about the pacing. It is slow.

It is hard to figure out exactly what the magic formula is!

My sister and I have similar enough taste in books that we will generally like what the other one likes, in the same way that we both like vanilla ice cream if our preferred flavors (mint for me, coffee for her) aren't available, but that's as far as it goes. Consistently, the books that grab her strike me as a bit facile, and while she hasn't actually said what it is she doesn't like about the books on my frequent reading rotation I know that she feels no real emotional connection to them, just doesn't get what I adore about them. She's the only person I know the magic formula for - if it's a book I like but don't love, I know she's bound to enjoy it. If I do love it - don't bother!

In this case, I recommend Rivers of London because it's got what I think of as a very *British* style - it's certainly not universal among British authors, or even British SFF writers, but it's distinctive enough that I can lump several authors into the folder. Some of them are more distinctive than others. Can't quite pin my finger on what it *is*, but it's there.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I love Lady Trent to the ends of the earth, but the key here is that it's a slow-paced series. Like, right when the series has a SHOCKING TWIST, she goes out to herd the yaks for a chapter or two. Entire plotlines get held up while she does chores and translates things. This is exactly what I like to read, and exactly what I signed up for, but it's so rare to find authors writing for my particular interests that I feel I should warn people about the pacing. It is slow.

Well, I wasn't the one asking for a page-turner - this could actually be right up my alley!  😂  Although I'm also having a harder time with slow lately, it's usually not a problem at all.  I'm trying to mix in the page-turners with the slower stuff.

Goblin Emperor and Murderbot were definitely fun page-turners for me, too, in addition to being well-written!

A few mystery page-turners:
- Lousiana Longshot (DeLeon) -- fast, fluff, and I laughed a lot
- Queen's Man (Penman) -- first of a 4-book Medieval mystery/political intrigue series
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (Shaffer) -- fast, interesting real-life setting
- books in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (Smith) -- fast, sweet
- I'm thoroughly enjoying the Inspector Gamache series, but each book builds up slowly in a way to savor, with the climax being the page-turning part

A few sci-fi page-turners:
- Shades of Gray (Fforde) -- NOT the s*x book; a lighter dystopia by the Eyre Affair author
- Broken Earth trilogy (Jemison)

A few fantastical page-turners:
- Sorcery & Cecelia: Or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Wrede & Stevemer) -- fast, light, frothy -- Jane Austen meets Harry Potter
- Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Sloan) -- fast, light, fun romp
- The Thief (Turner) -- first in a 5-book series; LOVE this series!
- The Night Circus (Morgenstern)
- Spinning Silver (Novik) -- author of the His Majesty's Dragons series
- Uprooted (Novik) -- good, but Spinning Silver is even better
- The Perilous Gard (Pope) -- YA, fast, creative
- The Graveyard Book (Gaiman) -- YA, fast, creative
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury) -- YA, fantastical, slight spooky edge

A bit like True Grit page-turners:
- The Friendly Persuasion (West)
- Where the Broken Heart Still Beats (Meyer) -- historical fiction of the true woman
- News of the World (Jiles) -- spare, powerful writing; at the top of my list the year I read it

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Thank you!

For help with algorithms...  I didn't particularly like the first Lady Trent novel when I read it a few months ago.  It was meh.  Everyone raves about the series so I may try book 2 someday.  Same with The Beekeeper's Apprentice (sorry ladies).   And Overstory - the most boring book I've read in a long time.  Sorry to those who loved it.  I read it because of the glowing recs here, but it just didn't work for me.  

I like the Harry Dresden Files series by Butcher.  I *loved* his book The Aeronaut's Windlass - When IS he going to come out with book#2!!??

hated "Discovery of Witches"

Loved "To Say Nothing of the Dog" and "Doomsday Book"

I've enjoyed many of Gaiman's books but not all.  It's hit or miss for me. 

I like the Bridget Quinn series and haven't finished all the books.  That may be a contender for my needs right now.   But, it can be intense and gory.  They're not fun books.  Same with Fiona Griffiths... love that series and love that character.   Thanks to Fiona, I've picked up a new curse word.  😲 🤭

Right now I'm listening to "The Gentleman in Moscow" which strangely works as an audible.   I think it fits with our lockdown and it is overall calming and charming.   But, it certainly isn't a page-turner and I don't think I could sit and read it.  

• Like 1

I’ve been listening to Deborah Crombie’s Kinkaid/James mystery series... (am nearing the end, sadly).  It would probably also be good as ink on paper book

Alexander McCall Smith Ladies Number 1 Detective Agency series perhaps 

• Like 2

If you really want to kick it up a notch and read some well written alpha male smut with strong, feminist-positive heroines, check out Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark Series. (Feel free time skip the first novela, or at least don’t judge the series by it.) The world building is phenomenal and the Valkyries are HYSTERICAL. 

• Like 1

If you like Doomsday and To Say Nothing of the Dog, have you tried any others by Connie Willis?

I'm quite fond of Bellwether (it's one of my comfort reads when I need it),  and Crosstalk was a fun read too. Both of these have quite a bit of humor and  (clean, sweet) romance. 

Blackout and All Clear and longer and move involved but linked to the Oxford time travel bits in Doomsday and Dog.  These two are WWII novels.

Lincoln's Dreams and Passage (stand alone novels not linked to anything)  are more contemplative.  Slower pacing, but powerful when you get to the end.

Another one of my favorites is Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. 

I also enjoyed of Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde - I just wish he would write the sequel! 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Thank you!

For help with algorithms...  I didn't particularly like the first Lady Trent novel when I read it a few months ago.  It was meh.  Everyone raves about the series so I may try book 2 someday.  Same with The Beekeeper's Apprentice (sorry ladies).   And Overstory - the most boring book I've read in a long time.  Sorry to those who loved it.  I read it because of the glowing recs here, but it just didn't work for me.  

I like the Harry Dresden Files series by Butcher.  I *loved* his book The Aeronaut's Windlass - When IS he going to come out with book#2!!??

hated "Discovery of Witches"

Loved "To Say Nothing of the Dog" and "Doomsday Book"

I've enjoyed many of Gaiman's books but not all.  It's hit or miss for me. 

I like the Bridget Quinn series and haven't finished all the books.  That may be a contender for my needs right now.   But, it can be intense and gory.  They're not fun books.  Same with Fiona Griffiths... love that series and love that character.   Thanks to Fiona, I've picked up a new curse word.  😲 🤭

Right now I'm listening to "The Gentleman in Moscow" which strangely works as an audible.   I think it fits with our lockdown and it is overall calming and charming.   But, it certainly isn't a page-turner and I don't think I could sit and read it.  

If you loved Doomsday Book, then I'll agree with Tanaqui that Space Opera could well work for you.  I apparently have an upper limit to the amount of zany madcap I can handle - in the Doomsday Book (which I also know is beloved by many) all I could do was wonder how the heck they have invented time travel but not even a cordless phone or an answering machine (forget cell phones).  99% of the plot problems in the book were because someone couldn't reach someone else on a landline and messages had to be written on paper.  So, see, apparently I'm a curmudgeon. 😂

I also listened to A Gentleman in Moscow, and liked it but did not love it as much as everyone else seemed to, so we might be on the same page there...

Speaking of Gentlemen and Zany Madcap, have you already read through the Jeeves and Wooster books?  They have both and I'd recommend.  And I just read a fun page-turner book that I'd sum up as "Bertie Wooster in Space" - a young gentleman (aka sole heir to rich uncle, no need to work) takes a trip on an almost-light-speed vessel to use the time dilation to accelerate said inheritance, but uncle predeceases the end of the voyage and has disinherited the lad and he is forced to work off his passage.  Zany madcap adventures including iguanas and misunderstood love signals ensue.  If that sounds interesting to anyone, it's called World Enough (And Time) by Edmund Jorgensen.  Not great literature, but a fun page-turner, and for me, just the right amount of zany madcap to be fun but not too much.

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Everything ever by Mary Robinette Kowal.  

Her Glamourist History series (starts with Shades of Milk and Honey) is Jane Austin with mild illusion magic.

The Lady Astronaut series (starts with The Calculating Stars) is alternate history in a world where a meteor strike kick-starts the space program right after WWII and all the Womens Air Service Pilots are still at the top of their game and pushing to be astronauts. 

Ghost Talkers is a WWI mystery in a world where mediums (in the talking to the dead sense) are real and the British Spirit Corps has figured out a way to compel soldiers to "report in" after they're killed to gather intelligence about enemy movements.  JRR Tolkien makes a cameo appearance in a trench.                 

I also enjoyed the Lady Astronaut books.  I haven't checked out her other books, sounds like I should.  

Oh, but the reference to Jane Austen with magic reminds me of another series I really loved (fun page-turners all) - The Extraordinaries by Melissa McShane.  First one is Burning Bright.  Set in an alternate early 1800s where people often develop what are basically superpowers rather than magic - telekinesis, fire-starting, empathic powers, precognition - and some people have an Extraordinary level of these powers (all of our heroines among them).  Super-fun, light, Austenesque romance, mixed with adventure because all of our heroines use their powers in service of fighting Napoleon. I really enjoyed them.

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

If you like mythology at all, I recommend  Circe by Madeline Miller. It was one of my favorite reads from the past year. 

Oh, this book is fabulous.  I listened to it, and can also share that the audio is well done.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Some of his newer works are disappointing, but I did recently enjoy The Guardians, as well as Sycamore Row.

That’s why I suggested older ones.

Sycamore Row is one of my favorites of his.   I didn’t read the Guardians. 

• Like 1

Milkman by Anna Burns if you can get past the gimmick of no one having an actual name. And for a non-fiction on the same topic there's Say Nothing. Both are about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Though Say Nothing is non-fiction it flows like a novel and is a page turner.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Milkman by Anna Burns if you can get past the gimmick of no one having an actual name. And for a non-fiction on the same topic there's Say Nothing. Both are about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Though Say Nothing is non-fiction it flows like a novel and is a page turner.

I loved Milkman, but I'd recommend the audio - it's stream of consciousness, and listening to it, it just flowed. Plus the narrator is fantastic. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Coming back to re-check the recs and order more books.  Thanks for all these choices.  Here's what I've read so far in between some other library books I'm reading on self-care/health.

The Singular & Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath – hard to pin down.  I didn’t love it.  I loved the premise, but it was a bit too creepy and a lot too disjointed for me to enjoy.  One positive is that chapters were very short and it was mostly easy to follow the plot even though it jumped around.

Murderbot series -  LOVE IT!  I would have never found this without a recommendation here. I’ve already finished 3 of them.💗

Sheepfarmer’s Daughter-   Enjoying it.  It started off a bit slow, and I was worried it would have too many standard tropes, which it doesn't.  It's nice that it moves quickly without bogging down on one thing.   However, I don’t find it to be a page-turner either. This is a book I have put aside and come back to with ease though.  I appreciate that I have a book I can come back to after I’ve read some other books.

What Alice Forgot –  I forgot that it was reccomended here and listened to it as an audible.  I didn't love it.  

I've currently got on hold in the library:

Case Histories - loved the TV series, didn't know it was a book first.

The Mother-In-Law

Space Opera

Say Nothing

I'll add my own page-turner that I found in case anyone else is looking.  Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony.  

• Like 2

I just wanted to share my very favorite fictions in case you want to try a different genre:

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee (I've given this as a gift several times. So good).

Free Food for Millionaires also by Min Jin Lee (given as a gift too; different from Pachinko but, boy, can this lady write).

Dear Edward (Loved, loved, loved but I've heard either you love it or it's no good).

The 100 Year Old Man who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

I couldn't put any of these down! 🙂

Wendy

• Like 4

I love that this thread is still going, even if it's only an occasional post. 

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Murderbot series -  LOVE IT!  I would have never found this without a recommendation here. I’ve already finished 3 of them.💗

I found that series through the Book A Week threads. I love it too but would never have considered it if not for The Hive. Another reason to love this place - endless book, tv, and movie recommendations. 🙂❤️

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I just wanted to share my very favorite fictions in case you want to try a different genre:

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee (I've given this as a gift several times. So good).

Free Food for Millionaires also by Min Jin Lee (given as a gift too; different from Pachinko but, boy, can this lady write).

Dear Edward (Loved, loved, loved but I've heard either you love it or it's no good).

The 100 Year Old Man who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

I couldn't put any of these down! 🙂

Wendy

Thank you!

I also loved Elinor Oliphant.....  Great book.   

• Like 2

I think you're the first person that has ever taken my rec of Paksenarrion (Sheepfarmer's Daughter). Thank you! ❤️  lol  Hope you continue to enjoy it, even as a not-page-tuner! (and even if not... thanks for trying! 😉   )

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 2