Menu

What's with the ads?

Ordinary Shoes

Recommendations for Drawing/Handlettering Supplies

I'm planning a Waldorf-inspired school year with lots of drawing. I don't want to be limited to Waldorf approved crayons and colored pencils. They are expensive and I don't want to limit ourselves to Waldorf coloring techniques. 

What are your favorite drawing supplies? Any recommendations for books that teach beginning drawing? We used some of the Emberley books last year which we enjoyed. 

I'm trying to learn modern calligraphy and I've considered introducing it to DD this year. She will be in 5th grade. Is that too early? 

I was never taught to draw and always believed that I had no artistic talent. I've been very surprised to learn that there are techniques to drawing. That's it's not just talent. I know that I'll never be very good but I was surprised to realize that I actually draw things by following instructions in the Emberley books. 

We have the Stockmar crayons, both stick and block. IDK - I'm not educated in Waldorf block coloring so I don't understand get the point of block crayons. 

One thing I would like to understand better is how to chose what kind of crayons or colored pencils to use for each project. Crayons vs oil pastel crayons? Why use one or the other? 

What do you recommend to have on hand for drawing? Also, how do you keep it from being trashed? I only have one kid but our art supplies seem to disappear into a black hole. It's always annoying to buy expensive art supplies and then see them on the floor. But on the other hand, I want art supplies to be easily accessible for my daughter to use whenever the mood strikes her. Does anyone keep nice pencils, crayons, and paint for school and leave out cheaper versions? 

Our way of (mostly) keeping nice things nice is to have a rule that you can only use the nice markers/colored pencils at the table. They are not allowed to travel. We also have a box each of markers and pencils that are less nice that are more accessible, and also a crap shoot on picking out a nice one. They can go anywhere.

• Like 1

I have spent more money than I am willing to say on calligraphy / lettering pens in my life, and it comes down to these:  https://www.dickblick.com/products/pilot-enso-parallel-pen-hand-lettering-calligraphy-set/. They are *wonderful* and the cartridges are cheap.  I got two sets eventually because I wanted to have black on hand always, but to be able to change out the colors on the other set.  And these are just NOT expensive.  The ONLY gripe I have is that the lids don't attach to the pen end and that is a total NIT.

• Like 1

Paper, Scissors, Stone is my go to. Lyra colored pencils are the bomb and worth every penny. They last forever.

• Like 1