Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

provenance61

Statistics as 4th year math?

Recommended Posts

Our DS has taken Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II.  Opinions on Statistics as 4th year math?  At this point we'd like to keep his options open -- but not sure that calculus/trig is the way to go here.  We've had a number of people suggest statistics as being very useful.

He's definitely college bound, but isn't planning on hardcore technical field.  He's interested in research and writing, and recently has expressed an interest in environmental science as a possible major.

Also, any suggestions for statistics curricula to look into?

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, provenance61 said:

Our DS has taken Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II.  Opinions on Statistics as 4th year math?  At this point we'd like to keep his options open -- but not sure that calculus/trig is the way to go here.  We've had a number of people suggest statistics as being very useful.

He's definitely college bound, but isn't planning on hardcore technical field.  He's interested in research and writing, and recently has expressed an interest in environmental science as a possible major.

Also, any suggestions for statistics curricula to look into?

If he's going to do any kind of science, he'll probably need calculus in college. I'd get it done now so he doesn't struggle in college, provided you think he's ready. (If he's not ready, I'd review his algebra very thoroughly.) 

Edited by square_25
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are headed in the statistics direction because we will not survive Calculus yet we need 4 years of math....

So I have been searching high and low for a good stats book.  This is what I have finally found! A book for specific for highschool - so many of them are also used in college.

Statistics and Probability with Applications by Daren Starnes and Josh Tabor.

The publisher also has this 180 break down of the book with potential activities and comments for the classroom.

https://www.statsmedic.com/intro-stats

The publisher also has videos of all the examples in the chapters which I think will be helpful because that is less reading...

https://www.macmillanlearning.com/studentresources/highschool/statistics/spa3e/spa3e_by_chapter/spa3e_Chapter_Student_Resources_Index.html

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statistics is great--useful and interesting.  But for a college bound student, I would do precalculus over statistics. 

My son did statistics as his math for both his junior and senior years, but he had already done BC calculus in 10th grade.  If that had not been the case, I would have insisted that he go through calculus and do statistics as an elective.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, square_25 said:

Also, calculus gets a bad rap for some reason... calculus is cool! 😉

I totally agree.  It's like the treat at the end of all those years of algebra and trig, just as algebra is the treat at the end of arithmetic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EKS said:

I totally agree.  It's like the treat at the end of all those years of algebra and trig, just as algebra is the treat at the end of arithmetic.

And it's so visual!! And you can actually do problems with it that are kind of fun!! 

I gotta start some sort of nerdy calculus cheer squad... "Give me a d! Give me an x! What does that make?!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, square_25 said:

Also, calculus gets a bad rap for some reason... calculus is cool!

It is cool. It is also the reason my youngest is a math major. We thought she was going to do writing, editing, maybe eventually law. She really disliked math. Then she got to calculus. Fell in love and she is a math major.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do pre calc. Even if he doesn't do calculus in college, he'll have to do some kind of math, and pre calc will keep the algebra fresher than stats. dd2 is has to take a fair amount of stats for her major, but she had to take college algebra first (and, in some schools, the college algebra would be business calculus). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...